As Monday morning rolls in, we’re providing TechWire readers with a quick recap of the past week’s news headlines.
Other hot news for December 23-27 included: Holiday sales gained 5.1% to over $850 billion this year; Morrisville biopharma company Liquidia entered into a common stock purchase agreement for $22.4 million; and, in a Q&A, Duke’s first DARPA program manager, Jeffrey Krolik, shared his experience in the position.
Several North Carolina startups announced funding rounds last week, including: Raleigh-based Aniluxx Biotechnology ($200,000), Durham-based NeuroTronik ($119,000), Asheville-based Ecobot ($1 million) and Chapel Hill-based REIN.
- Check out TechWire’s comprehensive resource package for Triangle startups.
And, some national news: Stock markets hit record levels, with the Nasdaq surpassing the 9,000 mark for the first time; Google and Facebook fell out of Glassdoor’s annual “best places to work” rankings; a new whitepaper from ABI Research outlined the top tech trends to watch in 2020; read the story behind the Operation NORAD Santa tracker.
Keeping with our Monday tradition, here’s a look back at 36 local, state and national headlines as reported by WRAL TechWire last week:
MONDAY December 23 Headlines:
- Durham healthcare startup NeuroTronik raise nearly $119,000 in debt
- Local tech calendar: 139 meetups to join in the Triangle
- NC headliners: FFVC FAST Program, WNC GROW Agribusiness Summit, RIoT Hacker Night & more upcoming events
- NC State ranks No.2 for its online degree in sports management: Study
- New Bunker Labs program aims to connect veterans to local professional development resources
- New overdose-tracking system gives real-time glimpses into opioid crisis
- On the horizon: 41 events & application deadlines for your February calendar
- Raleigh-based Aniluxx Biotechnology raises $200,000 to develop topicals for animals
- Regrettable tattoo? Robots with tiny lasers could soon erase the pain
- TechWire rewind: Tech job openings soar; Microsoft expands in Morrisville; Triangle & Charlotte real estate markets outperforming
- Tesla’s stock just hit a record $420
- Triangle headliners: Health Innovation Challenge, RTP180, Carolina Innovations Seminar & more Jan. events
- Triangle Startup Guide updates: More resources & funding opportunities for local startups
TUESDAY December 24 Headlines:
- A year in review: TechWire’s ‘Top 10 Most Memorable’ stories
- Garner-based Sigma Electric acquires Tooling Dynamics
- It takes a tech village to track Santa on Christmas Eve
- Survey: consumers will trade data for better retail experience
- Tech Legends: AgTechInventures: Karen LeVert — coming full circle
- Trends in smart cities for 2020: urban twins, micro-transit, smart spaces
- You decide: are mini-cities in our future?
WEDNESDAY December 25 Headlines:
THURSDAY December 26 Headlines:
- $9M grant to NC State may help make rooftop solar cheaper and easier
- Court rules Turkey violated freedoms by banning Wikipedia
- Morrisville-based Liquidia lands $22.4M in stock deal
- Nasdaq tops 9,000 mark for the first time as markets hit record highs
- NCIDEA shares 2020 priorities: ecosystem summit, micro and seed grant programs
- Record online sales boost holiday retail spending
- Security study: businesses remain at elevated risk of cyber attack
- World records, drone surveillance systems and falling upwards
FRIDAY December 27 Headlines:
- Asheville’s Ecobot receives additional investment, launches in App store
- A year in review: TechWire’s ‘Top 10 Life Science/Health’ stories
- Car camera system could help keep drivers awake at the wheel
- Chapel Hill insurtech startup REIN gets backing from Volvo to deploy its connected products
- Gamers make six figures playing in Epic Games’ Rocket League tournaments
- Joan Siefert Rose: LaunchBio’s year-end highlights and looking ahead
- Q&A with Orthus Health CEO Chris Caramanico on inspiring change through ‘corporate wellness’