As Monday morning rolls in, we’re providing TechWire readers with a quick recap of the past week’s news headlines.
Here was the hot news for December 30-January 3: TechWire’s ‘Tech Legends’ series continued with a long-form feature on serial entrepreneur Scot Wingo; Cary’s Epic Games brought in $1.8 billion in sales through Fortnite last year; shares in Triangle-based Novan plunged after the firm disclosed its skin treatment trial results didn’t reach efficacy; NCSU economist Mike Walden says a recession isn’t likely in 2020, but NC will be impacted by the China trade deal; WalletHub’s ‘Best Cities for Jobs’ list ranked Raleigh No. 48 and Durham No. 62, despite Wake County’s 2.9% unemployment rate.
Wrapping up 2019, we published a review of TechWire’s top 10 startup stories.
- Check out TechWire’s comprehensive resource package for Triangle startups.
And, some national news: U.S. stocks kicked off 2020 with all-time highs; the FDA announced a ban on flavored e-cigarettes (aside from tobacco or menthol); Tesla’s crash investigations are raising safety concerns.
Keeping with our Monday tradition, here’s a look back at 45 local, state and national headlines as reported by WRAL TechWire last week:
MONDAY December 30 Headlines:
- Astronaut and NC State grad sets record for longest spaceflight by a woman
- Calif. vastly expands digital privacy. Will people use it?
- Duke University gets $130 million in funding to accelerate drug discovery
- Durham tech consultant Clutch Inc. raises more than $5M in equity
- NC headliners: 47 upcoming events in Charlotte, Wilmington, the Triad & western NC
- On the horizon: ReCONNECT Forum, ElectriCities, UNC Clean Tech Summit & more Feb. events
- Previewing 2020 trends: Here’s a list of upcoming economic forecasts & New Year’s-themed events across NC
- TechWire rewind: Top stories of 2019; record holiday spending; startup funding rounds
- TechWire’s Triangle Startup Guide continues to expand – here’s what we’ve added
- Triangle headliners: 58 meetups, conferences, workshops & more events in January
TUESDAY December 31 Headlines:
- As robots take over warehousing, workers pushed to adapt
- A year in review: TechWire’s ‘Top 10 startup’ stories
- Beware of the smart device: Ways to stay private and safe
- Huawei sales up 18% but US pressure means tough times ahead
- Joe Procopio: Why two-sided marketplaces self destruct
- Liquor startup Coladka brews $900K equity round
- Sex toy is CES electronics show award finalist after controversy
- Tech Legends: Scot Wingo, a serial entrepreneur ‘paying it forward’
- Trump signs law to reduce robocalls, though they won’t end
WEDNESDAY January 1 Headlines:
THURSDAY January 2 Headlines:
- China confirms third birth of gene-edited baby; scientists involved get prison terms
- Epic Games’ Fortnite nabs top-earning title – again – with $1.8B in revenue
- Feds investigating fatal accident involving Tesla vehicle
- Happy New Year, Wall Street: Markets launch 2020 at record highs
- Lenovo’s top smartphone exec in China joins rival Xiaomi
- Looking to network in 2020? Here’s a list of over 100 Triangle meetups
- RedHill terminates $12M deal with Salix to regain rights to drug
- Safer skies: Global air crash deaths fall by more than half in 2019
- UNC study: Rising temps affects river ice cover, will have global impact
- US ranks No.53 in the world when it comes to gender parity
- Who’s the world’s richest person? Jeff Bezos still the champ
- Women not expected to gain gender parity until 2120: Report
FRIDAY January 3 Headlines:
- David Gardner: Why startups must master the art of forecasting
- Despite 2.9% unemployment rate, Raleigh is only No. 48 on ‘Best Cities for Jobs’ list; Durham ranked 63rd
- Drug firm Novan’s shares plunge 70% after trial results, says ‘substantial funding’ needed
- Duke researchers land $6M in federal grants to advance gene editing
- FDA cracks down on flavors for e-cigarettes but critics want more steps taken
- Former business exec with NC Football Club joins CED
- How effective is your public relations strategy? New NCSU tool measures it
- Introducing ThinkSmart View, Lenovo’s answer to the evolving ‘smart office’
- NCSU economist: No recession for US in 2020 but trade war deal is crucial for NC
- New TransEnterix CEO to tout robotic surgery firm, adds interim CFO
- Social media trends: The decline of Instagram, and the rise of SnapChat?
- Tesla’s surging sales send stock to new high but crash investigations raise safety concerns
- UNC doctor helps ISS astronaut who was suffering from blood clots