RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – If you are looking for a high-tech job, your prospects of finding one in the Triangle and North Carolina are improving. So says a new report.
National IT organization CompTIA ranked North Carolina No. 4 on its list of the top states for tech job postings. The state recorded 12,726 total postings in February, an increase of 2,949 since January. It also ranked No. 4 among the top states for remote/work-from-home jobs, recording 3,462 listings in February, up by 992 since January.
Tech talent remains at a premium in the Raleigh metro area, which ranked No. 10 on CompTIA’s list of the top metros for tech job postings change. The city’s job postings increased by 1,064 since January, now totaling 4,221.
The new report comes three weeks after the N.C. Tech Association said tech job openings in the Triangle jumped 20% year-over-year in January. More than 28,000 open jobs were posted state wide that month.
IBM, which has a major presence in Research Triangle Park, ranked No. 2 among CompTIA’s list of the top 10 U.S. employers, with 3,354 job listings posted in February.
IBM’s website currently shows about 49 job openings for its RTP hub.
However, its Raleigh-based subsidiary, Red Hat, has over 100 local jobs available—most of which were posted over the past month.
The CompTIA ranking is another sign that North Carolina’s job market is trending in the right direction as the economy begins to recover.
Nationally, tech job openings and tech sector employment have both increased for three consecutive months.
Our weekly update
WRAL TechWire’s recently weekly jobs feature keeps readers posted on local job and internship opportunities. Every Monday, we round up the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Let’s highlight what’s new on local job boards since last week’s roundup.
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle—serving more than 470 members. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals. Every month, it hosts a free “Transitions Mastermind” program for job seekers and those seeking advice on career improvement.
AMA Triangle’s job board currently features 67 marketing jobs within a 100-mile radius of Raleigh, 39 results within a 100-mile radius of Durham, and 33 results within a 100-mile radius of Chapel Hill.
Here are the positions that have been added over the last week:
- Cary: Emergency communications shift supervisor for the Town of Cary
- Cary: Sales and marketing internship at Siemens
- Knightdale: Marketing communications specialist at Schneider Electric
- Morrisville: Lenovo Global Technology
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by skills, position level (c-suite, co-founder, entry-level, mid-level or senior-level), job type (full-time, part-time or intern), job classification (1099 or W2), and work location (on-site, flexible or remote).
No new jobs were added to AU’s job board since last week’s roundup. Here’s a recap of jobs posted in February:
- Pattern Health, a health tech startup that recently made news headlines for raising $1.5 million in new funding, is currently seeking an inside sales representative, a senior DevOps engineer, a security and compliance manager, a director of marketing, and a director of business development.
- Digital advertising startup Adwerx is seeking a digital marketing specialist and a mid-market account executive.
- Book publishing startup Written Word Media is hiring a customer service and content specialist.
- Web design firm Pathos Ethos is hiring a product manager, WordPress developer, back-end developer, front-end developer, mobile developer and director of engineering.
- Digital storytelling startup Looma is on the hunt for a lead designer to fill a role as its first internal design hire.
WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center recently launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing—one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people. Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Dozens of biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and many more.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
Over the past week (since March 1), 44 new jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board, including:
- 8 open positions at Locus Biosciences in Morrisville (mostly research and development roles)
- 4 positions for clients of Frankel Staffing Partners
- 5 positions from NCBiotech’s Veterans Outreach Program in Holly Springs and Sanford
- Engineering and facilities project manager at RTP’s Beam Therapeutics
- Cell and molecular biology product applications research associate at Cell Microsystems in Durham
- Construction manager, CQV engineer, project engineer and project manager at RGD Project Management in Cary
- Material management technician, quality validations specialist, assistant scientist and senior manufacturing technician at Alcami’s Morrisville facility
- GMP technical operations process engineers, GMP associate scientist and senior research associate at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute
- Research associate at BridgeBio Gene Therapy in Raleigh
- Scientist and research associate at Shattuck Labs
- Research associate and cardiovascular biologist at StrideBio in Durham
- PhD RNA biologist at Ribogenics in Durham
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (contract, full-time, part-time or temp to full-time), experience and education level.
Two new jobs were added to NC TECH’s board since last week’s roundup:
- Financial systems administrator at Cypress Creek Renewables, a solar energy company. The position will be based in Durham.
- .NET application developer at Western Carolina University, with a remote work option available. For the telework option, candidates must be located within an eight-hour drive of WCU’s campus in Cullowhee.
NCWorks is a statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, which has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
The site’s COVID-19 job board lists companies hiring to fill immediate technical and healthcare needs in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
NCWorks saw more than 2,554 resumes updated over the past week, with 94 new jobs posted on Sunday, March 7 alone.
Wake County-based employers with the most job openings include: Wake County Public School System (1,396), WakeMed Health and Hospitals (1,396 jobs), Pharmaceutical Research Associates International (377), UNC Health Care System (353), UNC Rockingham Health Care (351 jobs), NC State University (494), Gilead Sciences (288), Lenovo (277), INC Research (230), Credit Suisse (220), Advance Auto Parts (146), Allscripts (135), Duke University Health System (134), City of Raleigh (133), Harris Teeter (119), CVS Health (113), Wells Fargo (112), the TruGreen Companies (109), SAS Institute (108), IQVIA (106), PRA Health Sciences (105), Food Lion (102) and McDonald’s Corporation (102).
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, launched a jobs board and research page in January. You can filter your search by company, company size and industry.
Raleigh Founded’s job board currently lists 128 positions at 24 companies.
Making good on its plans to hire at least 400 people in 2021, Raleigh startup Pendo has posted about a dozen openings—both remote and at the company’s downtown headquarters—over the last seven days. Jobs include: Senior accountant, commercial account executives, sales operations senior business analysts, strategic account executive, marketing coordinator, recruiter, university program manager, and enterprise account executives.
Other new job listings on the board include:
- Digital marketing manager at blockchain startup Kaleido
- Tools engineer, senior DevOps engineer and software engineering manager at local cloud software developer Veeva Systems
- Facilities engineer at pharmaceutical development firm MedPharm in Durham
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC.
The organization runs a weekly #TriangleTuesdays Hot Jobs alert. Last week’s posts featured jobs from IntraHealth International, UNC Kittner Eye Center at Carolina Crossing, UNC Health, Accuro, First National Bank, CreditSuisse, SAS, Wake Med, Duke Energy, BB&T, Fred Smith Company, Lenovo, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Highwoods Properties, North State Bank, Habitat for Humanity of Durham, and more.
Find more by scrolling through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter.
Upcoming Job Fairs
NC State Poole College of Management Small Business Internship Fair: March 26, 1-4 p.m.
- This virtual event will connect business students to small businesses, startups and nonprofit organizations that are seeking talent for summer internships and projects.
NC TECH’s Virtual Tech Job Expo: April 21, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- At NC TECH’s virtual Tech Job Expo, employers can connect and network with professionals seeking jobs and internships in tech. Tickets are free for candidates and job seekers.
Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
- Duke University: Student Affairs Career Center
- Durham Technical Community College: College Central Network
- NC Central University: Eagle Career Network
- NC State University: Career Development Center, Career Help During COVID-19 and Jobs at NCSU
- UNC Chapel Hill: University Career Resources and Careers at UNC Chapel Hill
- Wake Technical Community College: College Central Network and Career and Employment Resources
Student Internship/Career Program Deadlines
UNC Innovation Internships Program: March 12
- UNC Kenan Flagler Business School’s Entrepreneurship Center hosts an Innovation Internships Program to provide students with paid internships at high-growth companies. Students will also have access to mentoring, educational programming, networking events and more.
Triangle Women in STEM Launch Award: March 26
- Triangle Women in STEM’s new Launch Scholarship program will provide a one-time cash award of $2,500 to help a graduating college woman transition into her career at an RTP-based company or research institution.
Other Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (254 jobs are available near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (1,043 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (270 startup jobs in RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle:
- @NCCommerce and #NCJoboftheDay
- @WorkTriangleNC and #TriangleTuesdays