CARY – A federal judge handling the antitrust case against Google from Epic Games as well as Match Group and numerous states attorney generals denied a Google request to delay the November trial on Thursday.
“Someone is going to go to trial in November,” U.S. District Judge James Donato told lawyers in San Francisco, according to Dow Jones news services. “That’s just happening, OK? You all are going to figure out what’s going to be tried in November.”
The suit centers on how Google operates its Play Store.
Just last month, the judge said Google intentionally sought to “hide the ball” in the high-profile antitrust case by automatically deleting employee chat messages that could have been used as evidence in the suit.
However Google now has also filed to seek dismissal of some parts in the case.
According to TechCrunch, Google cites five reasons for dismissal, including a core complaint – that Google limits competition.
“Android is the only major mobile platform that allows multiple app stores,” a Google spokesperson said. “In fact, most Android devices ship with two or more app stores preinstalled, and consumers can install others. Epic, Match Group and the state Attorneys General ignore the openness and choice Android and Google Play offer, and we look forward to making our case in court,” they added.