RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – Thousands of jobs are going unfilled across the Triangle right now, but numerous local companies are on the hunt for student interns in the summer of 2022.
That’s the headline news from this week’s Jobs Report, an exclusive offering from WRAL TechWire.
Over the last week, the North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s industrial internship program posted several internship openings at life science and biotech firms across the Triangle area. From drug formulation firm Lindy Biosciences to cell-cultivated oyster developer Pearlita Foods to diagnostic testing provider Galaxy Diagnostics, more than two dozen local employers are hiring interns for several roles, including research and development, engineering, agricultural biotechnology, marketing, business development and more. (Scroll down to see the full list.)
There are plenty of new internship opportunities outside of biotech firms, too. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina is looking to add interns for several roles, from marketing and sales to business strategy to data science. Raleigh-based software startups Pendo and Levitate also posted internship openings within the last week.
Current job openings data is mixed
Overall, as the local job market continues its recovery, major job boards are showing mixed tallies on the total number of job openings available in the Triangle area. But, bottom line: thousands of jobs remain unfilled.
Every Sunday, WRAL TechWire tracks the total number of local positions posted on national job boards, then we compare it to the previous week’s count. This week’s results were somewhat mixed: Adzuna, for instance, shows -1,472 fewer jobs in Wake County, -768 fewer jobs in Raleigh and -209 fewer jobs in Johnston County than it did at the same time last week. ZipRecruiter has -1,257 fewer jobs in Raleigh, but it still added +246 jobs in Durham and +84 jobs in Chapel Hill over the last week.
However, the totals increased on other websites. LinkedIn shows +2,921 more jobs in Raleigh and +283 more jobs in Durham than it did seven days ago. Indeed.com shows gains totaling +305 in Raleigh, +230 in Durham, +171 in Chapel Hill and +91 in Johnston County over the last week.
WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring, and what positions are most in-demand. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources, and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Here’s what’s new since last week’s Jobs Report.
National Job Boards
Here’s a look at the total number of local jobs posted on national job boards compared to last week, as of Sunday afternoon.
- ⇓ Wake County: 47,474 jobs (-1,472 from a week ago)
- ⇓ Raleigh: 27,621 (-768)
- ⇑ Durham County: 13,139 (+418)
- ⇓ Johnston County: 2,759 (-209)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 19,273 (-22)
- ⇑ Durham: 19,126 (+26)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 18,903 (+5)
- Glassdoor*: ⇓ 29,844 jobs across the Research Triangle Park area (-8,416)*
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 18,365 (+305)
- ⇑ Durham: 10,935 (+230)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 4,965 (+171)
- ⇑ Johnston County: 1,079 (+91)
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 33,400 (+2,921), with 8,873 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Durham: 16,140 (+283), with 3,296 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 2,662 (+7), with 464 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Johnston County: 1,598 (+12), with 388 jobs posted in the past week
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 41,649 (-1,257)
- ⇑ Durham: 18,333 (+246)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 4,233 (+84)
- – Johnston County: 378 (no change)
*Note: Since this is a huge drop compared to what we normally see in a given week, and the other sites did not show a week-to-week trend reaching the same scale, we’re assuming it’s an anomaly for now. We’ll keep an eye on the totals for next week’s Jobs Report.
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (258 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (10,539 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (355 startup jobs in/near RTP) and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Sunday afternoon, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 113 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 68 in Durham and 43 in Chapel Hill (using the 25-mile radius filter).
Only two local jobs were added to the site over the last week:
- Manufacturing firm Boon Edam is hiring a marketing manager at its new office in downtown Raleigh.
- German tech giant Siemens is looking to add a marketing communications specialist at its smart infrastructure business unit in Wendell.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by company, location and job function. As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 280 jobs at 48 companies. About two dozen jobs were added to the site over the last seven days:
- California-based parking operator platform AirGarage seeks a remote head of legal.
- Workforce software provider CloudFactory is hiring a solutions consultant and a content marketing manager in Raleigh.
- FeedStation, an e-commerce software provider, seeks a senior C#/.NET developer, a marketing intern and a C#/.NET developer in Durham.
- Kinston-based private jet company flyExclusive is hiring a Gulfstream-IV captain/pilot in command.
- Elevate Labs, a brain training app developer, posted three remote job openings for a senior Android engineer, a senior marketing designer and a senior growth marketing manager.
- Log management software provider LogDNA seeks a remote senior product manager.
- The Looma Project, a Durham-based digital storytelling startup, is looking to add a film production manager and an area manager to its team.
- Durham-based data science firm NoviSci seeks an accounting specialist.
- California-based insurtech startup Noyo posted a remote job opening for a product manager.
- Furniture startup Nugget seeks a process improvement manager, an HR manager and an accounting manager in Butner.
- Insurtech startup Policygenius is hiring a business development manager in Durham (remote option available).
- Payments software provider Spreedly posted four openings in Durham (remote options available): Services project manager, Spanish-speaking enterprise account manager, mid-level software engineer and senior software engineer.
- Durham-based medical device company 410 Medical seeks a student intern marketing analyst.
Last year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 680 openings at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Bank of America posted three openings in Raleigh for a wealth management client associate, a small business consultant and an administrative assistant. It’s also hiring a small business consultant in Knightdale.
- Bland Landscaping seeks a landscape maintenance production manager and a landscape installation field supervisor in Apex.
- Blue Cross NC posted several positions in Durham, including major accounts client delivery expert, senior business application expert, senior application systems analyst, program manager associate, clinical education consultant, group service consultant, recruiting coordinator, experienced team leader, program officer, strategic marketing advisor, product owner, senior portfolio analyst (multiple opportunities), enterprise business analyst, information technology interns, business analyst intern, county engagement intern, financial reporting intern, marketing and sales intern, organizational development intern, business strategy intern, project coordinator intern and data science interns.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) is hiring a software developer, a climate change reporter, a digital strategist, a client success specialist, a sports marketing account manager, a digital video platform specialist and a digital account executive in Raleigh. And in Durham, the company seeks a head groundskeeper for the Durham Athletic Park and an accounting specialist.
- Coastal Credit Union posted six job openings in Raleigh: Support technician, home equity processor, direct loan processor, account representative, post-funding quality control specialist and digital sales relationship manager.
- Compass Center for Women and Families seeks a development director in Chapel Hill.
- Forward Cities seeks a Hispanic outreach contractor in Durham.
- Google is hiring a technical writer (data analytics, BigQuery and Google Cloud) in Raleigh.
- Medicago seeks a senior director of human resources in Durham.
- North Carolina Central University added several positions in Durham, including administrative support specialist, student services specialist (three openings), client services director, administrative support associate (three openings), auditor (two openings) and human resources manager.
- Nugget seeks a process improvement manager, an HR manager and an accounting manager in Butner.
- Self-Help Credit Union posted two openings in Durham for a digital experience manager and a bilingual mortgage advisor.
- Truist posted several job openings across its Triangle-area locations:
- Benson: Relationship banker/senior relationship banker
- Carrboro: Relationship banker (two openings) and teller/senior teller
- Cary: Relationship banker
- Chapel Hill: Teller/senior teller, on-demand teller and relationship banker
- Durham: Enterprise privacy and technology compliance manager, teller/senior teller (three openings), financial services specialist and relationship banker (two openings)
- Oxford: Teller/senior teller
- Raleigh: Software engineer (two openings), data architect, IT project test manager, Flexera data platform tools admin, entry-level Linux systems analyst and teller/senior teller
- Smithfield: Teller/senior teller
- Zebulon: Universal banker
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius. NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Here’s what’s new over the last week:
- In Morrisville, Alcami is hiring three micro/environmental monitoring associate scientists, a metrologist, a senior manufacturing tech, a manufacturing technician, a lab operations manager, a senior validations engineer, a master scheduler, a quality review specialist, a senior process engineer, two microbiology quality review specialists, a lab operations supervisor, a microbiology associate scientist, an environmental monitoring technician and a senior environmental monitoring tech with a CETA certification. And in Durham, the company is hiring three analytical services business development managers, three associate analytical scientists, a lab operations manager in cell and gene therapy analytical development, a lab operations manager in large molecule analytical development, a scientist, a bioassay associate scientist and a senior analytical scientist.
- Scientist and laboratory operations manager at Atsena Therapeutics in Durham
- Fermentation research associate at BioResource International
- Quality control technician at Corning Pharmaceutical Technologies in Durham
- Database systems analyst, associate GMP analytical scientist lab manager at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Postdoctoral associate at Duke University Orthopaedic Surgery in Durham
- Engineering and system/utility maintenance intern and instrumentation technician at Grifols in Clayton
- Associate scientist at ImmunoReagents
- Technical applications project coordinator at the Institute for Medical Research in Durham
- Business analyst, patent specialist/agent, associate automation developer and quality specialist at Locus Biosciences in RTP
- Merck & Co. is hiring for several positions in Durham, including lead technician (two openings – day and night shift), associate production technician (two openings), senior site learning specialist, compliance and emergency response technician, automation engineer/business consultant, quality control associate director, quality operations laboratory specialist, senior lab automation specialist, senior study manager, associate study manager director, VMF maintenance service engineer, senior business consulting specialist, senior operations technician, quality control specialist, deviation management senior specialist, utilities technician and technology engineering specialist.
- NCBiotech’s industrial internship program posted several internship openings at life science and biotech firms in the Triangle area:
- 410 Medical: Marketing analyst intern in Durham
- APIE Therapeutics: Business development intern in RTP
- Artiam Bio: Business development intern in Morrisville
- Avazyme: Agricultural biotechnology intern in Durham
- Belhaven Biopharma: Business development intern in Raleigh
- BioAesthetics Corporation: Research and development intern in RTP
- Boundless Science: Research and development intern in Chapel Hill
- Chiesi USA: Business development intern in Cary
- Enzerna Biosciences: Research and development intern in Morrisville
- Galaxy Diagnostics: Business development intern in RTP
- Genoverde Biosciences: Business development intern in Raleigh
- Higgs Boson: Marketing intern in Durham
- InGateyGen: Agricultural biotechnology intern in Durham
- Innatrix: Research and development intern in Durham
- Isolere Bio: Research and development intern in Durham
- Jellatech: Research and development intern in Raleigh
- Kalia Health: Process development intern in Chapel Hill
- Lindy Biosciences: Research and development intern in Durham
- Mammae Biosciences: Business development intern in Raleigh
- Mimetics: Research and development intern in Durham
- Novan: Research and development intern in Durham
- Pearlita Foods: Research and development intern in Raleigh
- Polaris Quantum Biotech: Business development intern in Durham)
- Sapere Bio: Clinical research intern in RTP
- SelSym Biotech: Business development intern in Cary
- SoilMetrix: Engineering intern in Durham
- Tiamat Sciences: Agricultural biotechnology intern in RTP
- Trig: Product design and development intern (remote)
- Verinetics: Engineering intern in RTP
- Warehouse associate at Precision BioSciences in Durham
- QC analyst, quality assurance supervisor and global supply chain operations senior manager at Seqirus in Holly Springs
- Senior laboratory technician at 7 Traits Genomics in Durham
Note: This list does not include openings posted by recruiting/staffing firms.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board that you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level. Two new jobs were added to the site last week:
- The Duke Human Vaccine Institute seeks a database systems analyst in Durham.
- Tech consulting firm Resolvit Resources is hiring a digital marketing manager in Raleigh.
What companies are hiring the most in Triangle? Lenovo, Fidelity, HCL, Novo Nordisk, Grifols top list
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
Around 1,750 resumes were updated on the site in the past week, as of Sunday afternoon. NCWorks reports thousands of available positions across the Triangle area.
In Wake County, the top employers with the most job openings on NCWorks are*:
- Wake County Public School System
- North Carolina State University
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals
- UNC Health Care System
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University
- Durham Public Schools
- Duke University Health System
- Fidelity Investments
The top employers in Johnston County are:
- Johnston County Public Schools
- Johnston Health
- Novo Nordisk
- UNC Health Care System
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Chapel Hill
- UNC Health Care System
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
- Orange County Schools
- Piedmont Health Services
*Note: This data was gathered through NCWorks’ Labor Market Information portal, which aggregates public job listings. NC Commerce confirmed with TechWire that this search pathway has a thorough process to remove duplicate job listings. Check employers’ websites directly for the latest information.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry. The site currently lists 173 positions at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Five jobs were added to the site over the last seven days:
- Raleigh-based marketing software firm Exit Intelligence seeks a web designer/junior UX designer.
- Levitate, a client communications software firm, posted an opening for a sales development intern in Raleigh.
- Raleigh-based software startup Pendo seeks a strategic programs MBA intern.
- Cloud software provider Veeva Systems posted openings for two analytics services managers in Raleigh.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 2,359 jobs at 93 companies. The latest Triangle-area openings (excluding remote jobs) come from the following employers:
- ArchiveSocial (Durham)
- Bank of America (Knightdale and Raleigh)
- Bland Landscaping (Apex)
- Blue Cross NC (Durham)
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (Durham and Raleigh)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- CloudFactory (Raleigh)
- Coastal Credit Union (Raleigh)
- Exit Intelligence (Raleigh)
- FeedStation (Durham)
- Forward Cities (Durham)
- Google (Raleigh)
- Levitate (Raleigh)
- Medicago (Durham)
- North Carolina Central University (Durham)
- Nugget (Butner)
- Pendo (Raleigh)
- Policygenius (Durham)
- Self-Help Credit Union (Durham)
- Spreedly (Durham)
- Truist (Carrboro, Cary, Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh, Smithfield, Zebulon)
- Veeva Systems (Raleigh)
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, regularly shares new openings through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. The program recently launched a job board on its website, with 10,169 active openings as of Sunday afternoon. Of those, 7,991 are technology jobs, 1,296 are advanced manufacturing positions, 299 are in cleantech and 583 are in life sciences.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs in the area. Here’s a recap of last week’s openings (from Feb. 8):
- Duke Energy
- Wake County
- PNC Bank
- Wells Fargo
- Bank of America
- Credit Suisse
- First National Bank
- First Citizens
- Duke University Hospital
- Blue Cross NC
- Gregory Poole Equipment Company
- NC State University
- Red Hat
- Highwoods Properties
- Kane Realty Corp.
- Fifth Third Bank
- RTI International
- UNC Health
- Veeva Systems
- Capitol Broadcasting Company
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Last month, Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta told TechWire that it’s continuing to hire in the Triangle area after adding more than 20 people to its team last year. Currently at 78 employees, Terra Dotta anticipates adding nearly two dozen new hires this year as it builds out its global engagement platform, which helps colleges and universities connect all aspects of international programming and campus services.
“Fortunately, we’re in a good position as interest in global engagement continues to grow,” Terra Dotta CEO Anthony Rotoli says. “2021 was a record year for Terra Dotta, in spite of the pandemic, and we are entering an exciting growth phase. We plan to hire 20+ more people in 2022 across the entire organization and are looking at a 100+ headcount this time next year.”
Terra Dotta’s current job openings span product development, client support, general and administrative teams. Read more and apply here.
“We always try to hire in the Triangle area first and then move to hiring remote if we can’t fill the position locally/hybrid,” Rotoli added. “Competition is steep for new talent.”
Upcoming Job Fairs and Career Events
Hospitality Hiring Hour: Every Tuesday, 4–5 p.m. @Washington Duke Inn
Durham’s Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club, JB Duke Hotel and The Lodge at Duke Medical Center are on the hunt for top talent in the hospitality industry. Job seekers can attend this weekly event series every Tuesday through May 31 to meet with managers/staff to ask questions and learn about the available job opportunities.
Carolina Career Exploration & Experience Days: Feb. 16–17, 1–4 p.m. (online)
UNC Chapel Hill Career Services is hosting a two-part event where student job seekers can connect virtually with recruiters. The Feb. 16 session targets STEM majors, while the Feb. 17 event applies to all majors.
Duke StartupConnect Networking Fair: Feb. 17, 7 p.m. (online)
In this virtual event, Duke University students will connect with founders and representatives from local startups to learn more about what it’s like to work at these companies as an employee or intern.
Wolfpack 1st & Goal Virtual Career Fair: Feb. 21, 6–8 p.m. (online)
NC State University’s Career Development Center is hosting its annual Wolfpack 1st and Goal event, geared towards employers looking to provide networking, internship and postgraduate employment opportunities for student-athletes. All sophomore, junior and senior student-athletes are invited to attend.
NC State Startup Job & Resource Fair: Feb. 23, 4–6 p.m. @NC State Entrepreneurship Garage
NC State Entrepreneurship and Raleigh Founded are co-hosting a job and resource fair for students interested in joining a startup team or starting their own venture.
NC TECH Virtual Job Expo: March 9, 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. (online)
This virtual job fair targets candidates seeking tech-related jobs or internships. Local employers can meet with job seekers in virtual booths. Registration is free for job seekers.
Other Resources / Student Support
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
- Duke University: Career Hub
- Durham Technical Community College: College Central Network
- NC Central University: Career and Professional Development Center
- NC State University: Centennial Campus Job Board, Career Development Center and Jobs at NCSU
- UNC Chapel Hill: University Career Services and Careers at UNC Chapel Hill
- Wake Technical Community College: College Central Network and Career and Employment Resources
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: