RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – Five major job boards list fewer openings today across the Triangle than a week ago, an indicator that the employment market is cooling as COVID-19’s latest surge begins to bite not only in North Carolina but globally.
Only LinkedIn showed an overall increase in jobs from last week. Although the drops were small, Zip Recruiter, Adzuna, Dice.com, Glassdoor and Indeed.com showed fewer opportunities.
One bright spot: High-tech job openings continue to surge across North Carolina and in the Triangle, even amid concerns over the Omicron COVID variant.
And jobs experts interviewed by TechWire insist that they see little reason to believe the job market is going to cool much at all, especially in technology.
“As in any normal time – any additional uncertainty in the economy could slow the job growth we’re seeing, although I believe the demand for tech workers will still remain high,” says Jessica Mitsch, founder and CEO of Momentum in Durham, which offers training to people seeking information technology careers.
Added Jason Defreitas, vice president of recruiting solutions at talent management firm Green Resources: “We have not heard of anything on the horizon that could halt the job growth trend.”
Dr. Mike Walden, an economist at North Carolina State University, points out that he expects tech growth to remain strong and that employers will find ways to deal with COVID.
“Although variants on COVID will persist, we will – and already are – developing coping methods,” he says.
But some people are asking. Brooks Raiford, CEO of the North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH), says his organization is seeking insight from companies.
“We are incorporating a quarterly poll in 2022 that will ask some similar questions to the ones we posed during the pandemic, like, in the upcoming quarter to you anticipate your headcount to increase, remain stable, or decrease?” Raiford explains.
According to the latest IT Job Trends Report from NC TECH, there were 46,475 IT jobs available across the state in November—a slight uptick from 45,984 in October and, overall, a 53% surge from November of last year. The Raleigh and Durham/Chapel Hill metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs) posted 14,796 and 4,494 jobs last month, respectively.
Per NC TECH’s report, the most in-demand IT occupations are software engineers, project managers, data engineers, stack developers, DevOps engineers, specialists, senior software developers and senior .net developers.
Our Jobs Report for this week confirms NC TECH’s findings, with plenty of IT jobs available from a diverse range of local employers. Google, for example, posted several high-tech jobs at its new Triangle-based engineering hub. Smaller firms and startups are also seeking fresh talent for IT roles and other technical positions.
National Job Boards
Here’s a look at the total number of local jobs posted on national job boards compared to last week, as of Monday afternoon.
- ⇓ Wake County: 40,075 jobs (-3,124 from a week ago)
- ⇓ Raleigh: 22,555 (-1,041)
- ⇓ Durham County: 10,381 (-569)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 16,736 (+18)
- ⇓ Durham: 16,499 (-21)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 16,309 (-30)
- Glassdoor: ⇓ 35,541 jobs across the Research Triangle Park area (-848)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 16,567 (-998)
- ⇓ Durham: 10,208 (-198)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 4,085 (-64)
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 28,902 (+349), with 5,702 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Durham: 14,452 (+368), with 2,299 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 2,615 (+34), with 337 jobs posted in the past week
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 27,372 (-1,424)
- ⇓ Durham: 14,641 (-660)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 3,609 (-215)
WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring, and what positions are most in-demand. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources, and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Here’s what’s new since last week’s Jobs Report.
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (249 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (9,007 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (349 startup jobs in/near RTP) and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Monday afternoon, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 61 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 18 in Durham and 14 in Chapel Hill (using the 25-mile radius filter).
Only one local job was added to the site over the last seven days: Verizon is looking to add a business-to-business CRM marketing manager to its Cary office.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by company, location and job function. As of Monday afternoon, the site shows 220 jobs at 44 companies.
Four jobs were added to the site over the last week:
- Durham-based data science firm NoviSci is looking to hire a senior epidemiologist.
- Insurtech startup Noyo added a remote job opening for a demand generation specialist.
- Durham’s ProcessMaker, a provider of workflow automation software, added an opening for a technical sales engineer.
- Local telecommunication firm Relay seeks a customer success specialist in Raleigh.
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 640 openings at 28 companies as of Monday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Bank of America is hiring a financial center manager in Chapel Hill.
- Blue Cross NC seeks a senior facilitator and a senior advisor of digital member engagement in Durham.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) is hiring a multimedia journalist, a digital content associate and a news reporter in Raleigh.
- Coastal Credit Union added an opening for an account manager in Raleigh.
- Compass Center for Women and Families is looking to hire a manager for its Teens Climb High program.
- Google, which expanded to the Triangle earlier this year with plans to create 1,000 jobs in the region, posted several remote and local job openings:
- Remote openings include Google Fi product manager, Nest product manager, senior iOS software engineer, cloud customer capacity technical program manager, Google distributed cloud technical writing manager, games and cloud industry solutions consultant, security specialist partner engineer, senior Android software engineer, Android systems engineer, state and local government field sales representative, Google Cloud principal architect, cloud field sales representative, devices and services application engineer, SAP business systems analyst, public sector field sales representative, and performance, quality and metrics product manager.
- Raleigh-based openings include Google Cloud engineering manager, cloud data analyst and program manager, developer insights lead, cloud strategy and planning operations program manager, cloud customer insights analyst, and infrastructure cloud consultant.
- In Durham, Google is hiring a Google Fiber financial analyst.
- In Chapel Hill, Google seeks a Chrome graphics software engineer.
- Medicago is hiring an industrial process control senior engineer, a supply chain director, a CMMS administrator, a manufacturing operator and a senior talent acquisition partner in Durham.
- North Carolina Central University seeks a paralegal and an administrative support specialist in Durham.
- Truist added a few local job openings: The bank is hiring senior tellers in Carrboro (two openings), a commercial lines insurance account manager in Durham, and a senior accountant, an audit manager and a market risk officer in Raleigh.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
About two dozen jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board over the last week (since Dec. 20):
- Product development engineer intern at Ascent Bio-Nano Technologies in Morrisville
- Immunology scientist and research associate at AskBio in Durham
- Cell biology field application scientist at Cell Microsystems in Durham
- Quality assurance specialist and immunology process development scientist at CoImmune in Durham
- Lab research analyst, research technician (multiple openings), communications manager, IT systems manager and postdoctoral associate at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Medical affairs director and office services supervisor at Grifols in Durham
- Legal counsel at Locus Biosciences in Morrisville
- Operations manager (two openings), senior operations technician, senior quality assurance specialist, senior quality control specialist and reliability engineer specialist at Merck & Co. in Durham
- Analytical development associate director, internal communications manager, senior quality assurance associate, associate director/director of alliance management and analytical development associate at Precision BioSciences in Durham
Note: This list does not include openings posted by recruiting/staffing firms.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board that you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level.
No new jobs were added to the site over the last week, so here’s a recap of the previous week’s openings:
- KTL Solutions, a business consulting and software development firm, is hiring a demand generation marketing manager in Cary.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
More than 1,030 resumes were updated on the site in the past week, as of Monday afternoon. NCWorks reports thousands of available positions across the Triangle area.
In Wake County, the top employers with the most job openings on NCWorks are*:
- Wake County Public School System
- North Carolina State University
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals
- UNC Health Care System
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University
- Duke University Health System
- Durham Public Schools
- Cree Wolfspeed
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Chapel Hill
- UNC Health Care System
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
- Orange County Schools
- AHS NurseStat
*Note: This data was gathered through NCWorks’ Labor Market Information portal, which aggregates public job listings. NC Commerce confirmed with TechWire that this search pathway has a thorough process to remove duplicate job listings. Check employers’ websites directly for the latest information.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry. The site currently lists 170 positions at 30 companies, as of Monday afternoon.
Eight jobs were added to the site over the last week:
- Agtech firm EarthOptics seeks a hardware engineering specialist in Raleigh.
- Levitate, a client communications software firm, is hiring an accounting and payroll specialist in Raleigh.
- Raleigh software startup Pendo added six job openings for a business systems analyst, a senior engineering manager, a professional services engineer, a senior project manager, a corporate customer success manager and a product marketing manager.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded, and American Underground recently teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Monday afternoon, the site shows 2,206 jobs at 86 companies. The latest Triangle-area openings (excluding remote jobs) come from the following employers:
- ArchiveSocial (Durham)
- Bank of America (Chapel Hill)
- Blue Cross NC (Durham)
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (Raleigh)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- Coastal Credit Union (Raleigh)
- EarthOptics (Raleigh)
- Google (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill)
- Levitate (Raleigh)
- Medicago (Durham)
- North Carolina Central University (Durham)
- Pendo (Raleigh)
- ProcessMaker (Durham)
- Relay (Raleigh)
- Truist (Raleigh, Carrboro, Durham)
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. And the search continues to be intense for talent to fill thousands of open jobs both inside and outside the Triangle tech sector.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs.
Posts from last Tuesday (Dec. 21) included openings from:
- City of Raleigh
- Wake County
- Duke Energy
- PNC Bank
- Bank of America
- Fred Smith Company
- Gregory Poole Equipment Company
- FUJIFILM Diosynth
- Capitol Broadcasting Company
- First Citizens
- Martin Marietta
- NC State University
- Red Hat
- Blue Cross NC
- Fifth Third Bank
- First National Bank
- RTI International
- UNC Health
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta told TechWire last month that it’s continuing to hire in the greater RTP area. After increasing its headcount from 65 to 75 so far in 2021, the firm anticipates another seven to 10 new hires before the end of the year.
Terra Dotta also anticipates an additional boost in hiring in 2022 as the company builds out its global engagement platform, which helps colleges and universities connect all aspects of international programming and campus services.
“With global travel quickly picking back up at colleges and universities, we are in growth mode and anticipate demand to further accelerate in 2022, with the potential for a 30% to 50% increase in our team,” says Terra Dotta CEO Anthony Rotoli.
Terra Dotta’s current job openings span product development, marketing, sales and administrative teams. Read more and apply here.
New Jobs at Mycovia Pharmaceuticals
RTP-based Mycovia Pharmaceuticals told TechWire this month that it’s hiring for several positions in project management, market access and marketing. The late-stage biopharma company is developing drugs to meet women’s health needs.
A Mycovia spokesperson says it plans to add around nine employees through the fourth quarter of 2021. As of September, its current headcount is 21.
Open positions include:
- Commercial project manager
- Senior director of pricing and contracting
- Vice president of value, access and trade
- Senior product manager
Upcoming Job Fairs and Career Events
NC TECH Virtual Job Expo: Feb. 9, 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. (online)
This virtual job fair is designed for candidates seeking tech-related jobs or internships. Local employers can meet with job seekers in virtual booths. Registration is free for job seekers.
Wake Tech Community College Business & IT Spring 2022 Career Fair: Feb. 9, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
In February 2022, Wake Tech will host an online job fair for business and information technology students looking for new career opportunities.
More Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
- Duke University: Career Hub
- Durham Technical Community College: College Central Network
- NC Central University: Career and Professional Development Center
- NC State University: Centennial Campus Job Board, Career Development Center and Jobs at NCSU
- UNC Chapel Hill: University Career Services and Careers at UNC Chapel Hill
- Wake Technical Community College: College Central Network and Career and Employment Resources
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: