RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – The Triangle’s job market rebound isn’t showing signs of stopping. According to the latest data released by the North Carolina Department of Commerce last week, the Durham/Chapel Hill metropolitan statistical area reported a 3.8% unemployment rate in March, reflecting a decent drop from 4.7% in February. Raleigh is a close second, with unemployment dropping to 3.9% from 4.7% in February.
Both of these figures outpace the state’s 4.6% average (not seasonally adjusted), which fell 1% from the previous month.
The improving jobs outlook comes well before Apple begins hiring in the Triangle for the 3,000 positions it announced last week as part of a new $1 billion campus in the Triangle.
For example, NCWorks added 455 new jobs on Sunday.
Every Monday, WRAL TechWire compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Let’s highlight what’s new on the job boards since last week’s Jobs Report:
National Job Boards
National job boards show thousands of opportunities in the Triangle:
- Dice.com (five-mile radius filter): 11,674 jobs in Raleigh, 11,674 in Durham and 10,919 in Chapel Hill
- Glassdoor: 43,471 jobs across the Triangle area
- Indeed (using the “exact location” filter): 15,371 jobs in Raleigh, 8,161 in Durham and 2,651 in Chapel Hill
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” filter): 40,217 in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, including 17,648 jobs in Raleigh, 8,636 in Durham and 1,872 in Chapel Hill
- Manpower: 13 jobs in Raleigh, seven in Durham and five in Chapel Hill
- ZipRecruiter (five-mile filter): More than 26,582 jobs in Raleigh, 12,731 in Durham and 3,857 in Chapel Hill
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (258 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (1,215 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (271 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle—serving over 470 members. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals. Every month, it hosts a free “Transitions Mastermind” program for job seekers and those seeking advice on career improvement.
AMA Triangle’s job board currently shows 64 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 37 results in Durham and 16 results in Chapel Hill (with the 25-mile radius filter).
A few new jobs were added to the site since last week’s roundup:
- The Triangle Global Health Consortium is hiring an outreach communications specialist and analyst for biomedical translational science programs.
- Pharma giant Merck & Co. seeks to add two associate directors of digital marketing quantitative science to its Triangle team.
- Verizon is looking to fill three positions at its Cary office: Field marketing manager of manufacturing, energy and utilities; senior marketing manager of customer success and insights, and senior manager of segment marketing.
- Crossrope, a fitness tech company, is hiring an email marketing specialist in Raleigh.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by skills, position level (c-suite, co-founder, entry-level, mid-level or senior-level), job type (full-time, part-time or intern), job classification (1099 or W2), and work location (on-site, flexible or remote).
No new jobs were added to the site last week; here’s a recap of April postings:
- E-commerce startup FeedStation is hiring a client success manager, a data analyst, a C# developer and an operations assistant in Durham.
- Fintech firm Securrency Transfers is hiring a .NET developer and a Flutter engineer (remote or in-person).
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing—one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people. Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and many more.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
During the past week (since Monday, April 26), several new jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board, including:
- Preclinical study director and preclinical research technician at RTP-based Powered Research
- GMP scientist, sample management technician and scientific intern at BioAgilytix in Durham
- Senior scientist, scientist and research associate at Tavros Therapeutics in Durham
- Biosample manager and research associate at Shattuck Labs in Durham
- Frankel Staffing Partners seeks a senior project manager/program director for its client, an early-stage agricultural biotech company in the RTP area.
- Molecular biologist/biochemistry intern at Pleno in Durham
- Industry trainer specializing in fermentation, cell culture, gene therapy and industry trainer specializing in aseptic technique, cleanroom and manufacturing at Wake Technical Community College
- Senior bioinformatics scientist at Ribometrix in Durham
- Lab research analyst, business intelligence lead developer, two GMP technical operations lead process engineers, GMP analytics associate scientist and senior research associate at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Project specialist, manufacturing director, senior material control tech and quality specialist at Alcami in Durham and Morrisville
- Validation specialist at Neurocog Trials in Durham
- Lead software and controls engineer at Panaceutics Nutrition in RTP
- Molecular technologist at Foundation Medicine in Morrisville
- Senior software developer, scientist specializing in biochemistry and molecular biology, and scientist specializing in AAV and delivery technologies at RTP-based LifeEDIT
- Advanced Recruiting Partners seeks a GCP auditor in Durham.
- SQL developer at the Institute for Medical Research in Durham
- Senior and associate scientists specializing in cell biology at Oerth Bio in Durham
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (contract, full-time, part-time or temp to full-time), experience and education level.
One new job was added since last week’s roundup: Corning Pharmaceutical Technologies, which manufactures pharmaceutical tubing materials, is hiring a microbiology technician in Durham.
Here’s a recap of what’s been posted recently:
- Legal intern, finance interns, procurement intern, software engineering intern and engineering undergrad intern at Toshiba Global Commerce Solutions in Durham
- Project engineer at Optricity Corporation in Durham
NCWorks is a statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, which has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
The NCWorks website contains a COVID-19 job board that lists companies hiring to fill immediate technical and healthcare needs in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
NCWorks reports thousands of available positions. More than 4,217 people added or updated their resumes at the site in the past week, and 455 new jobs were posted on Sunday, May 2, alone.
Here are the Wake County-based employers with the most job openings:
- Wake County Public School System (2,347)
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals (1,014)
- UNC Health Care System (991)
- Pharmaceutical Research Associates International (539)
- UNC Rockingham Health Care (477)
- EY (398)
- NC State University (393)
- Deloitte (316)
- Amazon (304)
- Facebook (302)
- IQVIA (256)
- McDonald’s Corporation (221)
- Lenovo (210)
- The Home Depot (205)
- INC Research (200)
- Lowe’s Companies (193) – tip: the company is looking to hire over 700 new associates across its Raleigh-Durham stores, as TechWire reported last week.
- Wells Fargo (192)
- Lenovo (190)
- Accenture (168)
- PruittHealth (168)
- CVS Health (162)
- Food Lion (162)
- ICF International (162)
- Splunk (156)
- PPD (147)
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, launched a jobs board and research page in January of this year. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry.
Raleigh Founded’s job board currently lists 156 positions at 26 companies (as of May 2).
Here’s what’s new since last week:
- Veeva Systems, a cloud software provider, is looking to add a VP of product management to its team in Raleigh. Last week, the company also posted listings for a remote CDMS global program manager, two remote customer success managers and an account manager.
- Edtech startup LearnPlatform is hiring an executive assistant in Raleigh. Last week, the company added listings for two regional sales vice presidents and an inside sales district manager.
- PublicInput.com, a community engagement platform for government agencies and consultants, listed three remote positions: Full stack .NET developer, product manager and customer support representative.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists dozens of hot jobs. Last week’s posts included openings from MCNC, Seqirus, Triangle North Executive Airport, UNC Health, City of Raleigh and Wake County, Duke Raleigh Hospital, BB&T, Wells Fargo, Lenovo, MetLife, SAS, First Citizens, Martin Marietta, NC State, Wake Med, Blue Cross and Blues Shield of North Carolina, Citrix, Fifth Third Bank, CreditSuisse, Raleigh Chamber of Commerce, LearnPlatform, GreeneResources, Coastal Credit Union, and more. Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for details on the openings.
Upcoming Job Fairs and Program Application Deadlines
Life Sciences/Biopharma Hiring Event: May 19, 9:45 a.m. – 3 p.m. (online)
- NCBiotech’s Veterans Outreach Program and North Carolina for Military Employment are running a virtual hiring event open to all veterans, transitioning service members and guard/reserve, as well as military spouses. Job seekers will be able to meet face-to-face with hiring managers and recruiters. Register here.
Application Deadline: Betsy Y. Justus NC TECH Founders Scholarship: May 21
- Established in memory of the founding CEO of the North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH), the Betsy Y. Justus NC TECH Founders Scholarship supports two young women as they enter academic and career paths in technology or engineering. Two selected students will receive $4,000 and a Lenovo computer. Apply here.
Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
- Duke University: Student Affairs Career Center
- Durham Technical Community College: College Central Network
- NC Central University: Eagle Career Network
- NC State University: Centennial Campus Job Board, Career Development Center, Career Help During COVID-19 and Jobs at NCSU
- UNC Chapel Hill: University Career Resources and Careers at UNC Chapel Hill
- Wake Technical Community College: College Central Network and Career and Employment Resources
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle:
- @NCCommerce and #NCJoboftheDay
- @WorkTriangleNC and #TriangleTuesdays