RALEIGH – North Carolina’s capital is one of the top cities in the US for women to start a business, according to a new study.
The Raleigh metro area came in No. 18 based on data compiled by Business.org.
This is the latest report to highlight the Triangle region as a hub for women and business. In August, FitSmallBusiness.com ranked Raleigh as the No. 5 best city for female entrepreneurs.
The city scored well in the latest report in two key criteria:
- Female unemployment is 5.1 percent
- 24 percent of businesses in Raleigh are owned by women
Denver tops the list followed by Orlando and Austin, Texas.
Charlotte placed No. 30.
Cities were scored on a scale up to 100 based on the following four criteria:
- Percentage of women-owned businesses: 40%
- Number of new businesses per 100,000 people: 30%
- Women-to-men pay difference: 20%
- Unemployment rate for women: 10%