Google tag manager is a free tool that can give marketers a wealth of data about visitor behavior on their site not available through Google Analytics alone, Steve Guberman, director of search marketing at the Golf Channel’s GolfNow site, told a session Tuesday at the Internet Summit in Raleigh.
Guberman has appeared on numerous SEO/SEM podcasts such as Marketing Nerds and WebCertain.tv. Most recently Steve was a team member for SEO on the NBC Olympics website. Ironically, he said, “I don’t golf.”
Right off the bat, Guberman brought up a slide with these resources:
He then showed the session audience what they can do with Google tags.
“All this is high level information Google doesn’t usually give you,” he said.
Among other things, he noted:
- It will tell you exactly how many users are on your site, firing every 15 seconds.
- It will track their scrolling, revealing a declining number as they go the page. “Most viewers don’t make it to the bottom,” he said.
- It will show how many times a viewer clicks play or pause on a video.
- It will show you snippets of text copied by a user.
- It will show you page load time.