On Thursday evening from 5 pm to 7 pm, a dozen of the Triad’s hottest startups will pitch at the 11th annual Capital Connects, a signature event of the Greensboro Partnership Entrepreneur Connection.
According to event organizers, the event aims to educate investors and connect them with entrepreneurs that are seeking capital.
“Through participation in the event, startup companies will connect with seasoned entrepreneurs, investors, innovators and service providers and broaden their opportunity for resources critical to fostering future growth in a business,” said organizers in a prepared statement.
According to the event organizers, companies that have pitched at this event in past years have successfully raised more than $9.5 million in seed funding from Triad-area investors.
Startups will have six minutes on stage to pitch their companies to both regional and local investors and entrepreneurial support organizations.
“This year’s semi-finalists span the breadth and depth of our region’s entrepreneurial talent,” said organizer Joel Bennett, “from first round college/university startups to early-stage companies seeking expansion capital.”
The 2015 Capital Connects Semifinalists that will pitch at Thursday night’s event are:
- MedXoom seeks to modernize the world of healthcare through simple, easy-to-use, consumer-centric process flows. Using MedXoom’s mobile application, patients can complete screening information plus insurance and payment details on their mobile devices. The application reduces paper, data entry and front desk labor for medical practices, as well as replaces costly tablet / kiosk check-in technology investments.
- Urban Offsets builds software that helps cities develop carbon offset projects from new and existing trees in neighborhoods close to university campuses. Urban Offsets leverages their partnership with Duke University’s Carbon Offset Initiative, which transforms that data into carbon offsets, and provides a platform to sell those carbon offsets to the 700 colleges and universities committed to running climate-neutral campuses across America.
- Fastba solves a large problem for event organizers and marketing companies in the fast-growing experiential marketing field by providing ready and qualified brand ambassadors at their fingertips to staff any event, trade show or experiential activation. Brand ambassadors are everywhere in our everyday life and most people don’t even notice. BA’s can be found at sporting events, trade shows, music event, state fairs, retail stores and much more.
- RetainEd is a mobile learning-retention platform that lets trainers extend event-based learning into the weeks and months that follow, by delivering proven, effective micro-lessons to learners via mobile device, at the time of their choosing. RetainEd doesn’t replace trainers or educators, it amplifies and extends them.
- Dynamic Mail Management is a software solution for organizations to manage their centralized mailroom through the web. Using the DMM app on a smartphone, tablet or laptop, mailroom staff can deliver parcels and packages faster and more efficiently than any competing solution. With unique capabilities such as “On-demand” Mailbox Assignment and “Bring Your Own Device” hardware.
- BoomboxFM creates true, personalized music discovery to over 45,000 active subscribing music lovers via email, while helping more than 3,500 high quality, undiscovered musicians find the headphones of a highly targeted, eager and engaged audience.
- FilterEasy delivers your air filters when it’s time to change them at a cost that’s less that’s less than retail.
- Nicotrax provides a positive, customized, and effective method for smokers to quit. Nicotrax is the first system to fully integrate strategies to address all three areas of cigarette addiction: mental, physical, and social. At the most basic level, the system tracks smoking habits with a smart cigarette case, compiles this data within the mobile application, and provides continual multi-faceted support to empower users to quit.
- Zipsy a location-based photo sharing app where users can post photos of things happening around them. The catch is that they must pick at least 3 friends to reveal their identity to, before posting. To all other users, their photos and comments will be anonymous! And to make things even more exciting, all content will disappear after 48 hours …so don’t miss out!
- RainbowMe offers positive, fun and entertaining content featuring characters and themes that celebrate our increasingly diverse world. RainbowMe also aims to facilitate a cultural and entertainment exchange among all 2-12 year olds, while also educating and preparing them for a global world.
- Train is a free mobile app that makes it very simple for users to upload and share short videos of themselves doing an exercise. They tag these videos to the six main body categories that we Train (shoulders, back, chest, arms, core, and legs). We are the only fitness app that focuses primarily on user-generated content.
- Ketch provides painless referral spam filtering, making it easier to get quality web analytics data. Welcome to statistics that give you peace of mind.
Capital Connects will also host an investor workshop prior to the pitch event in the same location from 2:30 pm to 4:30 pm. Angel Resource Institute lead instructor Troy Knauss will lead a session, “From Startup to Exit: An Overview on How to Get an Early-Stage Deal Funded,” reviewing the latest trends and data in angel deals around the country, and how that data can inform investors and entrepreneurs in early-stage ventures.
Both events will be held at the Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering at 2907 East Gate City Blvd, Greensboro, NC. Registration is available online.