RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – WRAL TechWire is tracking the Triangle’s job trends as the region continues its economic recovery. Our weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Let’s highlight what’s new on the job boards since last week’s Jobs Report:
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (218 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (1,499 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (250 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle — serving over 470 members. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals. Every month, it hosts a free “Transitions Mastermind” program for job seekers and those seeking advice on career improvement.
AMA Triangle’s job board currently shows 80 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 42 results in Durham and 37 results in Chapel Hill (with the 25-mile radius filter).
Several jobs were added over the past week:
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is looking to hire a communications coordinator.
- Hillrom, a medical technology firm, seeks a Cary-based senior software engineer specializing in video communications.
- Carolina Performing Arts at UNC-Chapel Hill seeks an associate director of marketing and communications.
- Durham-based nonprofit FHI 360 is hiring a senior communications specialist.
- North Carolina State University is hiring a marketing web automation developer.
- Pharma giant Merck & Co. added several listings for two roles at its Triangle-area offices: An associate director of marketing (scrum master) and an associate director of U.S. oncology marketing for long-term portfolio strategy.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by job function, location, company, industry and job title. As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 208 jobs at 30 companies.
Several jobs were posted in the last seven days:
- Durham-based social media archiving startup ArchiveSocial is looking to hire an administrative assistant.
- Local workforce software provider CloudFactory is looking to hire a paid media marketing manager in Raleigh.
- Pattern Health, a health tech startup in Durham, is hiring a DevOps engineer and a director of clinical program management.
- Local ed tech startup LearnPlatform seeks a remote regional director of partnerships.
- Durham-based coding program Code the Dream is hiring a senior developer and mentor.
- Insurtech startup Policygenius added several job listings in Durham: Junior sales associate, remote quoting and underwriting specialist, sales associate, customer success associates and customer success partners.
- Local furniture company Nugget seeks a designer/illustrator in Butner.
- FeedStation, an e-commerce software provider, seeks a marketing intern in Durham.
- Durham dental business software firm CureMint is looking to hire a senior small business account executive.
- EnMass Energy, a supply chain procurement and operations platform, is hiring a product manager and a logistics manager in Durham.
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and many more.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Over the last week (since Aug. 2), over a dozen new jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board, including:
- Head of science and research associate at Jellatech in Durham
- Accessioning unit manager, grants and contracts manager, lab research analyst and research technicians at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Seqirus added several positions at its Holly Springs facility:
- Senior manager of analytical science and technology
- Senior quality specialist
- Senior manager of supply chain planning
- Senior project manager
- Quality manager
- Executive admin
- Immunology analysts
- Utilities/HVAC/refrigeration mechanic
- Quality control team leaders
- Automation engineer
- Manufacturing quality systems specialist
- Scientific associates/scientists
- Cell and molecular analytics scientist
- Senior process development scientist
- Senior capital project engineering manager
- Research associate, medical director, director of clinical pharmacology and pharmacometrics, senior director of clinical operations, scientist, clinical supply project manager, senior scientist and biosample manager at Shattuck Labs in Durham
- Scientist at Asklepios BioPharmaceuticals in RTP
- Pharma giant Merck & Co. posted several new jobs at its Triangle locations:
- Operations manager
- Lead technicians
- Senior specialist in learning and development
- Associate director of marketing
- Associate technicians, senior technicians and technicians
- Quality control operations laboratory manager
- Associate production technician
- Senior specialist in analytics and data engineering
- Senior operations technician
- Associate director of quality and compliance
- Senior warehouse technician
- Senior specialist learning lead
- Operations manager
- Operations technician and associate operations technician
- Microbiologist and process engineer at KNOW Bio in Durham
- Fermentation research scientist/associate at BioResource International in Durham
- Local staffing firm Frankel Staffing Partners posted a research scientist listing for its client, an RTP-area biopharmaceutical company.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (contract, full-time, part-time or temp to full-time), experience and education level.
Three remote jobs were added last week:
- Remote back-end developer and remote front-end web developer at Alpine Consulting Partners, a technology consultancy headquartered in Washington, D.C.
- Jackrabbit Technologies, a class management platform for children’s activity centers, is hiring a remote user researcher. The company is located in Huntersville, just outside of Charlotte, but it allows all employees to work remotely.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
The NCWorks website contains a COVID-19 job board that lists companies hiring to fill immediate technical and healthcare needs in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
NCWorks reports thousands of available positions. More than 4,400 people added or updated their resumes at the site in the past week, as of Sunday evening.
Here are the top 10 Wake County-based employers with the most job openings:
- Wake County Public School System: 3,757 jobs
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals: 1,977
- NC State University: 1,134
- UNC Health Care System: 1,081
- Accenture: 728
- IBM: 678
- Deloitte: 600
- UNC Rockingham Health Care: 553
- University of North Carolina: 553
- McDonald’s Corporation: 484
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- IBM: 2,081
- Duke University: 1,591
- IQVIA: 760
- Duke Careers: 672
- Fidelity Investments: 492
- Duke University Health System: 402
- Laboratory Corporation of America: 318
- Durham Public Schools: 312
- Cisco Systems: 265
- Cree Wolfspeed: 259
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Health Care System: 1,157
- UNC Rockingham Health Care: 599
- UNC-Chapel Hill: 557
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools: 371
- UNC Health: 338
- ARAMARK Corporation: 167
- Vivian: 116
- Orange County Schools: 93
- Hyatt Hotels Corporation: 80
- AHS NurseStat: 79
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry.
The site currently lists 171 positions at 28 companies, as of Sunday afternoon. Several new jobs were added over the past week:
- Veeva Systems, a cloud software provider, is growing its Raleigh team with several new positions:
- Clinical data scientist
- Product manager
- Senior product manager
- Senior software engineers (Android, iOS, Java/React, front-end)
- Raleigh startup Pendo added a listing for a corporate account executive.
- Local startup LearnPlatform is hiring a remote regional director of partnerships.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. And the search continues to be intense for talent to fill thousands of open jobs both inside and outside the Triangle tech sector.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs.
Posts from last Tuesday (Aug. 3) included openings from:
- Greene Resources
- UNC Health
- PNC Bank
- Bank of America
- UNC Center for Health Equity Research
- Duke Raleigh Hospital
- NC Human Resources
- Capitol Broadcasting Company
- Habitat for Humanity of Durham
- Martin Marietta
- Red Hat
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of NC
- Fifth Third Bank
- First National Bank
- Highwoods Properties
- RTI International
- First Citizens
- Wells Fargo
- City of Raleigh
- Wake County Board of Elections
- NC State University
- Smith Anderson
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
New Jobs at CureMint
American Underground-based CureMint, a startup with a procurement software platform for dental organizations, tells TechWire it is looking to add new talent to its team. It has openings for several positions:
- Senior full stack software engineer
- Senior product manager
- Product manager
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta tells TechWire it’s looking to fill several jobs across its product development, sales, support, finance and accounting teams.
Open positions include senior software engineer, junior software engineer, software architect and product owner. Interested job seekers can read more and apply here.
The company’s CEO, Anthony Rotoli, cited the return of international travel and new developments in the education technology industry as reasons to ramp up hiring.
“We remained conservative with hiring during the pandemic, but we’ve had tremendous growth and are now expanding our team in the Triangle area and beyond to deliver on the increasing interest in global engagement opportunities and the technology to support it – both with travel resuming and with the evolution of new ways to deliver international education experiences virtually and on college campuses,” Rotoli stated.
Upcoming Job Fairs
24th Annual NIEHS Biomedical Career Symposium: Aug. 26-27 (online)
Now in its 24th year, the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences’ annual Biomedical Career Symposium is among the largest gatherings of RTP-area biomedical organizations and scientists. Postdoctoral fellows and graduate students can attend this virtual event to explore new career options and grow their networks. More TechWire coverage here.
NCWorks Orange County Southern Hospitality Hiring Series: Aug. 27, 9. a.m. – 12 p.m. @Europa Center in Chapel Hill
This summer, NCWorks of Orange County is hosting a series of hiring events featuring local restaurants, hotels, craft brewing companies, caterers, venues and more hospitality industry employers.
CRO Career Conversations: September 8, 5:30-7 p.m. (online)
In this virtual event, attendees will hear from contract research organization (CRO) industry professionals as they discuss their career paths and responsibilities.
NC TECH Virtual Job Expo: Oct. 20, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (online)
The North Carolina Technology Association’s virtual job fair will connect employers to job seekers looking for work in a tech role or to support a tech company. The event is free for candidates and job seekers.
Wake Tech Community College Business & IT Spring 2022 Career Fair: Feb. 9, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
In February 2022, Wake Tech will host an online job fair for business and information technology students looking for new career opportunities.
Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
- Duke University: Student Affairs Career Center
- Durham Technical Community College: College Central Network
- NC Central University: Eagle Career Network
- NC State University: Centennial Campus Job Board, Career Development Center, Career Help During COVID-19 and Jobs at NCSU
- UNC Chapel Hill: University Career Resources and Careers at UNC Chapel Hill
- Wake Technical Community College: College Central Network and Career and Employment Resources
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: