RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – On the surface, the Triangle’s job market is flourishing as employers ramp up hiring across Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and surrounding cities. And there are many opportunities, as our exclusive weekly Jobs Report outlines.
However, as economist Mike Walden pointed out last week, there’s a major caveat to that growth: North Carolina’s labor force participation is on a steady decline, even as the unemployment rate continues to drop. The state’s labor force fell by over 16,200 from April to May.
A number of factors underpin this trend, such as generous unemployment benefits, lack of child care, COVID concerns, motivations to learn new skills, and more considerations.
Hiring patterns also vary widely from sector to sector. According to NC TECH’s latest IT Job Trends report, local high-tech job openings climbed from 35,853 in April to 36,947 in May, and openings have soared by more than 60% since May 2020. At the same time, local hotels and restaurants are struggling to fill open positions.
Big highers as listed at NC WORKS include:
- IBM/Red Hat at nearly 900 openings
- Cree, 151
- IQVIA, 1,274
- GSK, 165
- Fidelity, 425
WRAL TechWire is tracking the Triangle’s job trends as the region continues its economic recovery. Our weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Let’s highlight what’s new on the job boards since last week’s Jobs Report:
National Job Boards
National job boards show thousands of opportunities in the Triangle:
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter): 12,368 jobs in Raleigh, 12,121 in Durham and 11,929 in Chapel Hill
- Glassdoor: 39,614 jobs across the Triangle area
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter): 11,530 jobs in Raleigh, 6,186 in Durham and 3,135 in Chapel Hill
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” filter): 56,938 jobs in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, including 25,659 in Raleigh, 11,870 in Durham and 2,188 in Chapel Hill
- Manpower (20-mile radius): 18 jobs in Raleigh, 12 in Durham and seven in Chapel Hill
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter): More than 29,936 jobs in Raleigh, 13,322 in Durham and 4,386 in Chapel Hill
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (244 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (1,320 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (266 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
New Jobs at CureMint
American Underground-based CureMint, a startup with a procurement software platform for dental organizations, tells TechWire it is looking to add new talent to its team. It has openings for several positions:
- Senior full stack software engineer
- Mid level full stack software engineer
- Senior product manager
- UX designer
- Senior UX designer
- Product manager
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta tells TechWire it’s looking to fill several jobs across its product development, sales, support, finance and accounting teams.
Open positions include software quality assurance engineer, senior software engineer, junior software engineer, software architect, product owner, product specialist in International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), senior account executive and client support specialist. Interested job seekers can read more and apply here.
The company’s CEO, Anthony Rotoli, cited the return of international travel and new developments in the education technology industry as reasons to ramp up hiring.
“We remained conservative with hiring during the pandemic, but we’ve had tremendous growth and are now expanding our team in the Triangle area and beyond to deliver on the increasing interest in global engagement opportunities and the technology to support it – both with travel resuming and with the evolution of new ways to deliver international education experiences virtually and on college campuses,” Rotoli stated.
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle — serving over 470 members. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals. Every month, it hosts a free “Transitions Mastermind” program for job seekers and those seeking advice on career improvement.
AMA Triangle’s job board currently shows 60 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 32 results in Durham and 19 results in Chapel Hill (with the 25-mile radius filter).
Several new jobs were added to the site since last week’s roundup:
- The Association for Home and Hospice Care of North Carolina is hiring an events and marketing associate in Raleigh.
- Durham software firm ServiceTrade added two listings for a marketing automation manager and a marketing communications manager.
- Law firm Fox Rothschild LLP is hiring a marketing data coordinator at its Raleigh office.
- Ramey Kemp Associates, a transportation consulting firm headquartered in Raleigh, is hiring a marketing proposal coordinator.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by skills, position level (c-suite, co-founder, entry-level, mid-level or senior-level), job type (full-time, part-time or intern), job classification (1099 or W2), and work location (on-site, flexible or remote).
No new jobs were posted on American Underground’s job board last week, so here’s a recap from a previous Jobs Report: Durham-based digital consultancy Pathos Ethos posted three job openings earlier this month for a product manager, a project manager and a back end/cloud developer. And in May, the company also added two listings for an iOS developer and an Android developer.
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
So far this year, North Carolina has welcomed 15 expansion announcements from life science firms, corresponding to $2.9 billion in investment and more than 2,600 jobs.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and many more.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Over the last week (since June 21), dozens of new jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board, including:
- An associate director of business development and corporate strategy at Life Edit Therapeutics in RTP
- A laboratory assistant at Foundation Medicine in Morrisville
- Senior quality control specialist at FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies in Holly Springs
- A startup technician at Root Bioscience in Morrisville
- A preclinical research report writer and an operations manager at Powered Research in RTP
- A clinical trial manager/project manager at Scion NeuroStim in Durham
- A quality assurance manager at Avioq in Durham
- An accounting operations specialist at EpiCypher in Durham
- An associate scientist at KNOW Bio in Durham
- Quality control scientist, LCMS scientist and analytical R&D scientist at Tergus Pharma in Durham
- Clinical studies director, director of clinical outsourcing and vendor management, and director of clinical compliance and TMF at Medicago in Durham
- Vice president of nonclinical development and translational medicine at Propella Therapeutics in Pittsboro
- Manufacturing supervisors at Seqirus in Holly Springs
- Communications manager at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Translational medicine operations manager at Shattuck Labs in Durham
- Local recruiting firm Frankel Staffing Partners posted a few jobs for its clients:
- A records management/document control professional at a fast-growing pharmaceutical company based in RTP
- A financial manager at an RTP-area pharmaceutical company with several products in development
- A clinical supply manager at a specialty pharmaceutical firm in the RTP area
- Associate scientist in HPLC/formulations at an RTP-area pharmaceutical company
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (contract, full-time, part-time or temp to full-time), experience and education level.
Four local jobs were added since last week’s roundup:
- The North Carolina Department of Information Technology is hiring a chief risk officer in Raleigh.
- NC State University’s Partnerships Office seeks a partnership developer in Raleigh.
- Technology consulting firm Resolvit is hiring a sales account manager and a technical recruiter in Raleigh.
NCWorks is a statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, which has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
The NCWorks website contains a COVID-19 job board that lists companies hiring to fill immediate technical and healthcare needs in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
NCWorks reports thousands of available positions. More than 7,500 people added or updated their resumes at the site in the past week, as of Sunday afternoon.
Here are the top 10 Wake County-based employers with the most job openings:
- Wake County Public School System (3,348 jobs)
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals (1,202)
- UNC Health Care System (987)
- Deloitte (523)
- EY (493)
- UNC Rockingham Health Care (486)
- Pharmaceutical Research Associates International (478)
- McDonald’s Corporation (433)
- North Carolina State University (424)
- Facebook (403)
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University (1,387 jobs)
- IQVIA (594)
- Durham Public Schools (566)
- Duke University Health System (321)
- Cree (282)
- Duke University and Duke University Health System (276)
- Fidelity Investments (275)
- BAYADA Home Health Care (227)
- Covance (219)
- General Dynamics Information Technology (173)
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Health Care System (1,011)
- UNC Chapel Hill (570)
- UNC Rockingham Health Care (498)
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools (337)
- Amazon (196)
- ARAMARK Corporation (101)
- Orange County Schools (83)
- AHS NurseStat (55)
- Hyatt Hotels Corporation (48)
- McDonald’s Corporation (46)
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, launched a jobs board and research page earlier this year. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry.
Raleigh Founded’s job board currently lists 163 positions at 28 companies, as of June 27. Several new jobs were added over the past week:
- Raleigh startup Pendo, which plans to hire 400 workers this year, added listings for a communications coordinator and an associate accountant.
- Veeva Systems, a cloud software provider in Raleigh, added a listing for a remote clinical research software liaison.
- MedPharm, a product design and development firm, is hiring a GMP quality assurance specialist and a proposal writer in Durham.
- Raleigh edtech startup LearnPlatform is hiring a marketing manager and a remote customer success manager.
- Booking software provider Redzy seeks an API support specialist at its office in Raleigh.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Upcoming Job Fairs
NCWorks Orange County Southern Hospitality Hiring Series: July 23 and Aug. 27, 9. a.m. – 12 p.m. @Europa Center in Chapel Hill
This summer, NCWorks of Orange County is hosting a series of hiring events featuring local restaurants, hotels, craft brewing companies, caterers, venues and more hospitality industry employers.
NC TECH Virtual Job Expo: Oct. 20, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (online)
The North Carolina Technology Association’s virtual job fair will connect employers to job seekers looking for work in a tech role or to support a tech company. The event is free for candidates and job seekers.
Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
- Duke University: Student Affairs Career Center
- Durham Technical Community College: College Central Network
- NC Central University: Eagle Career Network
- NC State University: Centennial Campus Job Board, Career Development Center, Career Help During COVID-19 and Jobs at NCSU
- UNC Chapel Hill: University Career Resources and Careers at UNC Chapel Hill
- Wake Technical Community College: College Central Network and Career and Employment Resources
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: