RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – Whether you’re looking for an entry-level position, a summer internship, a part-time remote job or an executive leadership role, there are plenty of employers ready to hire new talent in the Triangle.
NCWorks, for example, lists several thousand open jobs. And more than 230 new positions were added on Sunday alone.
Meanwhile, numerous biotech firms are ramping up hiring.
The last installment of our weekly jobs report covered the recent rebound in high-tech IT positions across North Carolina. As the state’s unemployment rate continues to drop in line with national trends, more companies are ramping up hiring—particularly in technology and engineering fields.
Working to meet demand, many local organizations are hosting virtual career fairs to pair job seekers with hiring managers and recruiters. NC TECH’s virtual tech job expo on April 21 will feature booths from top employers such as Google, Toshiba, Deutsche Bank, Ally, Allscripts, and several more.
The Triangle chapter of the American Marketing Association is hosting an online career fair on April 29 to connect marketing job seekers with local, national and global companies.
And, on May 19, NCBiotech and North Carolina for Military Employment are hosting a virtual hiring event open to all veterans, transitioning service members, guard/reserve and military spouses. (Read more about these events below.)
If you’re looking for education and training to help secure your next job, the Capital Area Workforce Development Board offers skills training programs, coaching, virtual education content and more services for jobseekers. NCWorks also has more than 90 career centers located across North Carolina offering individual employment services.
If you’re interested in a career in the Triangle’s growing biopharma manufacturing industry, check out our newly launched Bio Jobs Hub with NCBiotech. The site is your go-to source for biopharma training programs and other resources. It also offers an overview of the biopharma industry, the types of positions available and where they are offered, and more useful information.
Every Monday, WRAL TechWire compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Let’s highlight what’s new on the job boards since last week’s roundup:
National Job Boards
National job boards show thousands of opportunities in the Triangle:
- Dice.com (5-mile radius filter): 10,210 jobs in Raleigh, 10,613 in Durham and 9,796 in Chapel Hill
- Glassdoor: 42,768 jobs in the Triangle
- Indeed (using the “exact location” filter): 14,521 jobs in Raleigh, 7,604 in Durham and 2,386 in Chapel Hill
- LinkedIn: 38,598 in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, including 17,527 jobs in Raleigh, 7,602 in Durham, 1,722 in Chapel Hill
- Manpower: 8 jobs in Raleigh, 4 in Durham and 3 in Chapel Hill
- ZipRecruiter: 24,544 jobs in Raleigh, 12,006 in Durham and 3,730 in Chapel Hill
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (263 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (1,140 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (277 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle—serving more than 470 members. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals. Every month, it hosts a free “Transitions Mastermind” program for job seekers and those seeking advice on career improvement. The chapter’s next Virtual Career Fair will be held on April 29.
AMA Triangle’s job board currently features 90 marketing jobs within a 25-mile radius of Raleigh, 44 results within a 25-mile radius of Durham, and 29 results within a 25-mile radius of Chapel Hill.
Here are some local positions that were added to the site over the last seven days:
- Merck & Co., Inc. is looking for talent to fill several positions in the Triangle, including associate directors and directors of oncology marketing, plus more leadership positions.
- HNTB is hiring a summer communications intern in Raleigh.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) is hiring a digital account executive and an account manager in Raleigh.
- Boy Scouts of America is looking for a communication and marketing director in Raleigh.
- The Town of Cary is hiring an emergency communications officer.
- Hillrom is looking for a director of software quality assurance in Cary.
- Terra Dotta seeks a marketing manager in Chapel Hill.
- Advance Auto Parts is hiring an associate product marketing manager in Raleigh.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by skills, position level (c-suite, co-founder, entry-level, mid-level or senior-level), job type (full-time, part-time or intern), job classification (1099 or W2), and work location (on-site, flexible or remote).
No new jobs were added to AU’s job board since last week’s jobs report, but here’s a recap of what’s new on the site over the past month:
- Durham-based digital storytelling startup The Looma Project is looking to add a story success manager to its team.
- Policygenius, a New York-based insurtech startup that established a second headquarters in Durham last year, is currently hiring an HR business partner and a revenue associate.
- Kinston-based private jet company FlyExclusive is hiring a development lead to build a dev group in Durham.
- Digital advertising startup Adwerx is hiring a strategic account manager in Durham.
American Underground-based CureMint, a startup with a procurement software platform for dental organizations, is also looking to add new talent to its team. It has openings for several positions (read more and apply here):
- Senior software engineer
- Mid-level software engineer
- Senior product manager
- Business development representative
- Sales development representative
- Marketing specialist
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing—one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people. Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Dozens of biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and many more.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
Over the past week (since March 29), a number of new jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board, including:
- Project manager, material management technician, manufacturing metrology instrument technician, validations specialist intern, manufacturing technician and senior bioassay scientist at Alcami in Morrisville and Durham
- Facilities specialist at Precision BioSciences in Durham
- Accessioning technician at Foundation Medicine in Morrisville
- Director of translational medicine at Shattuck Labs in Durham
- Business intelligence developer, cell line development scientists, regulatory affairs director and research associate at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Frankel Staffing Partners is looking to fill several roles for its local clients.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (contract, full-time, part-time or temp to full-time), experience and education level.
Since last week’s roundup, Toshiba Global Commerce Solutions added several new Durham-based internships across its procurement, legal, finance and engineering teams.
Here’s a recap of what’s been posted over the past month:
- Mid-senior cyber security engineer and mid-senior full stack developer at Stern Security in Raleigh
- SAP SuccessFactors business analyst at Retail Business Services in North Carolina
- Associate account manager at publishing software provider BlueMatrix
- Project engineer at RTP-based supply chain software provider Optricity Corporation
NCWorks is a statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, which has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
The site’s COVID-19 job board lists companies hiring to fill immediate technical and healthcare needs in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
NCWorks reports thousands of available positions. More than 4,300 people added or updated their resumes at the site in the past week, and over 240 jobs were posted on Sunday, April 4, alone.
As of April 4, Wake County-based employers with the most job openings include:
- Wake County Public School System (1,638 jobs)
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals (544)
- NC State University (534)
- Pharmaceutical Research Associates International (444)
- UNC Health Care System (410)
- UNC Rockingham Health Care (376)
- Lenovo (337)
- Credit Suisse (203)
- INC Research (201)
- Gilead Sciences (158)
- Food Lion (141)
- CVS Health (134)
- IQVIA (134)
- Allscripts (123)
- Harris Teeter (120)
- The Home Depot (120)
- SAS Institute (115)
- Advance Auto Parts (112)
- Duke University Health System (105)
- Wells Fargo (102)
- Lowes Foods (101)
- Duke University (95)
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, launched a jobs board and research page in January. You can filter your search by company, company size and industry.
Raleigh Founded’s job board currently lists 150 positions at 25 companies (as of April 4). Here’s what’s new since last week:
- Raleigh Founded itself listed two open positions for a summer intern and an events manager.
- MedPharm, a provider of product design and R&D services, is looking for a senior process engineer and a quality assurance specialist in Durham.
- Raleigh startup Pendo posted three job openings: Senior technical writer, principal designer and lead user researcher.
- Veeva Systems, a cloud software company, posted several jobs in Raleigh: Senior software engineer, DevOps engineer, commercial analytics solution consultant and customer success managers.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC.
The organization runs a weekly #TriangleTuesdays Hot Jobs alert. Last week’s posts featured jobs from T.A. Loving, UNC Health, City of Raleigh, Duke Energy, Wake County, Duke Raleigh Hospital, BB&T, Lenovo, MetLife, SAS, Martin Marietta, NC State University, Wake Med, Blue Cross NC, Coastal Credit Union, KPMG, North State Bank, RTI International, Citrix, LearnPlatform, Deloitte, IHS Markit, Credit Suisse, and more. Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details.
Upcoming Job Fairs
NC TECH’s Virtual Tech Job Expo: April 21, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (online)
- At NC TECH’s virtual Tech Job Expo, employers can connect and network with professionals seeking jobs and internships in tech. Tickets are free for candidates and job seekers. A live web briefing will be held on April 6 covering the virtual event platform.
AMA Triangle Virtual Career Fair: April 29, 7 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
- The Triangle chapter of the American Marketing Association is hosting an online career fair featuring local, national and global companies seeking marketing talent.
Life Sciences / Biopharma Hiring Event: May 19, 9:45 a.m. – 3 p.m. (online)
- NCBiotech’s Veterans Outreach Program and North Carolina for Military Employment are running a virtual hiring event open to all veterans, transitioning service members and guard/reserve, as well as military spouses. Jobseekers will be able to meet face-to-face with hiring managers and recruiters.
Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
- Duke University: Student Affairs Career Center
- Durham Technical Community College: College Central Network
- NC Central University: Eagle Career Network
- NC State University: Centennial Campus Job Board, Career Development Center, Career Help During COVID-19 and Jobs at NCSU
- UNC Chapel Hill: University Career Resources and Careers at UNC Chapel Hill
- Wake Technical Community College: College Central Network and Career and Employment Resources
Upcoming Program Application Deadline: Betsy Y. Justus NC TECH Founders Scholarship — May 21
- Established in memory of NC TECH’s founding CEO, the Betsy Y. Justus Founders Scholarship supports two young women as they enter academic and career paths in technology or engineering. Two selected students will receive $4,000 and a Lenovo computer.
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle:
- @NCCommerce and #NCJoboftheDay
- @WorkTriangleNC and #TriangleTuesdays