Can AT&T score in the tablet market? It’s betting on Primetime.
AT&T is taking a page from the winning playbook of Amazon by launching a tablet of its own on Friday, the purpose clearly being to provide HD-quality entertainment virtually anywhere at anytime. Cheaply. Sound like an Amazon device for shopping and streaming?
For $10 a month or a cheap $30 under a two-year contract, AT&T customers can get their hands on Primetime. The device packs a lot of features in a nimble device with a 10-inch screen that AT&T boasts can provide “nonstop entertainment.”
Just in time for Sunday’s Game of Thrones season finale, eh? Be prepared to watch John Snow, dragons and more on the go – and repeat over and over. Like Mark Wahlberg touts in those commercials already flooding the airwaves.
- VIDEO: Watch an overview of Primetime at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQsVqjvLBIk
But tech isn’t the lure. It’s the loaded apps designed to get you watching TV – preferably AT&T’s DirecTV and DirecTV Now.
Here are some samples of how other tech media are reporting about Primetime:
- The AT&T Primetime is a cheap tablet meant to keep you watching DirecTV Now forever
“AT&T’s new tablet is filled with bloatware, all in the name of AT&T. The Primetime, as it’s called, comes preloaded with the company’s software, including DirecTV. Unlimited Plus and Unlimited Choice customers can add the tablet to their unlimited wireless plan for an extra $20 / month, so they can consume as much content as they want, whenever they want. For other plans, the tablet costs $10 a month for 20 months, or $29.99 with a two-year contract. The tablet itself sounds unextraordinary,” reports The Verge.
- AT&T’s new Primetime tablet is a perfect match for DIRECTV
“As more carriers have brought back unlimited plans and zero rating for certain services, the ability to use a tablet as an on the go streaming device has become easier than ever,” notes Android Central.
- AT&T’s Primetime is an affordable Android tablet that really wants you to use DirecTV Now
“Aimed at entertainment, the Primetime’s main feature is its TV Mode, which gets you to video apps like the pre-installed DirecTV and DirecTV Now with one touch or swipe. It’s a weird selling point to make, considering the same thing can be achieved by just placing apps on the home screen, but the Primetime is an AT&T-branded tablet, so there you go,” adds Android Authority.
With so many tables already available from multiple vendors, it’s interesting that AT&T is taking a hardware shot with what it calls an “exclusive” device. But as competition grows in the wireless market with unlimited data widely offered and with ultra-fast 5G wireless on the horizon, AT&T obviously believes Primetime could be a key differentiator.
“Whether you’re at home or on-the-go, the AT&T Primetime tablet offers an entertainment-first experience at a very affordable price,” says Kevin Petersen, senior vice president, Device and Network Services Marketing. “Not only is this tablet priced competitively, but it is also packed with some of the latest and greatest audio and video features designed to deliver premium entertainment that is just one-touch away.”
For tech details, see below:
AT&T Primetime features:
- 10-inch Full HD screen – Enjoy movies, photos and more with crystal clear precision and bright color.
- TV Mode – Quickly access your favorite video apps like DIRECTV with a single swipe from either the home screen or lock screen, or by one simple touch of the Quick Launch button.
- Dual Bluetooth media streams – Listen through up to 2 Bluetooth headsets or speakers simultaneously via Bluetooth audio streams. The dual headset feature makes AT&T Primetime the perfect tablet for road trips and is sure entertain the kids in the backseat.
- 9070 mAh battery – Provides up to 11 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching videos or listening to music.6
- Dual front-facing speakers with Dolby AudioTM – You can choose from 4 audio presets or create a custom sound profile.
- Easier multi-tasking – Easily read, create and edit documents in near real time with built-in Google Docs and split screen features.
- Enterprise-ready – Supports highly-secure and reliable connections and on-device encryption. Plus you can manage your data with Android for Work and Enterprise Mobility Management services.
Learn more at: