The winning lineup in Fortune Magazine’s “Executive Dream Team” contest includes only one “hitter” from the Triangle.
Retired IBMer Sam Palmisano is “left fielder” on the “Best of the Best” team as voted by players in the contest.
Lenovo’s Yang Yuanqing is the “pitcher” on fourth highest team known as “WinnerDuh.”
Current IBM Chair and CEO Ginny Rometty and Lars Sorensen of NovoNordisk were among the CEO choices.
In addition to the pitcher/CEO, positions are:
- First Baseman/CFO
- Second Baseman/CIO
- Third Baseman/CMO
- Left Fielder/Non-Executive Chairman
- Center Fielder/Entrepreneur in Residence
- Right Fielder/Utility Player
Triangle Connections included:
- Cisco’s Gary Moore and Rebecca Jacoby were in the running for the COO and CIO spots respectively.
- IBM’s Jeanette Horan was a CIO candidate.
- Ralph de la Vega of AT&T was among the COO contenders.
- “Pony” Ma Huateng, the newest Triangle connection member, was up as a “Center Fielder.” Ma leads China-based Internet giant Tencent, which now owns a huge stake in Cary-based Epic Games.