Shock and awe: Thousands of IBMers watch, learn they may soon be Lenovo employees
Research Triangle Park, N.C. — With no warning from their supervisors and only aware of rumors being reported in the media, IBMers involved in various parts of Big Blue's struggling server business expected to either be part of a sale to another company or possibly laid off - or both. Through media reports early Thursday, they learned about IBM's $2.3B deal with Lenovo. At a videoconference in RTP, hundreds watched in awe as they were finally told what their future might be....
WRAL TechWire Publisher and Editor Rick Smith dishes out tidbits from the local technology sector. Read more articles…
Please Log In to add a comment.
Best of TechWire Insider
- Is Charlotte really the Silicon Valley of the South?
- Do Apple, Google changes ensure privacy? National Law Journal says no
- New wave of 'undisclosed investors' now powering NC tech startups
- IBMers react with anger, sarcasm at 10% pay cut
- Google offers $100,000 to help startups reach the 'cloud'
- NC high-tech job market stable; more openings expected this fall
- You 'have to be tough' and other advice from Women in Power
- New CED communications exec targets 'galling' lack of coverage
- UNC-Wilmington, two Charlotte 'accelerators' land $50,000 federal grants
- 'Fury' at discrimination drives 'Innovating Women' book by Vivek Wadhwa