WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring, and what positions are most in-demand. Here’s more from WRAL TechWire on the latest changes in the labor markets in our local economy. Below, we’ve gathered the latest upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources, and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings. Here’s what’s new since the last WRAL TechWire Jobs Report.
RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – A growing number of layoffs, a drop in hiring from record high levels for tech jobs, and a review of jobs board data combine to create a stormy forecast for the Triangle and North Carolina jobs market.
Then there is Advance Auto Parts’ decision to back out of a job creation-related tax incentive package.
And the latest data analyzed by WRAL TechWire for our weekly WRAL TechWire Jobs Report shows job openings in the region’s startups appear to have fallen off while job board postings are mixed.
Not all the news is bad, however.
One notable company that has begun to hire for roles based in the Triangle is VinFast, the Vietnamese automaker, which will construct North Carolina’s first automotive assembly plant in Chatham County, on which site development is currently occurring. Throughout this week, WRAL News will be reporting on VinFast and the automotive plant that is set to add at least 7,500 jobs to the region.
And Eaton plans to expand its Triangle-area workforce by some 25%, adding at least 170 jobs, an executive based in the company’s renovated Raleigh office told WRAL TechWire this week.
Note: The month-over-month totals are compared to our June 20 report, and the year-to-date totals compare to our Jan. 3 report. We’ve made some changes in methodology as of July 2022 in how we’re tracking jobs posted to Indeed. The Adzuna Raleigh listings are now also only showing job postings with a stated location in Raleigh, which may contribute to the decline in this week’s report compared to prior reports and prior month totals.
Local Positions on National Job Boards
Every week, we track the total number of Triangle-area positions posted on major job websites. Here is the latest data, as of 12 PM on Monday, July 11.
- Wake County: 45,017 (⇓-5,844 month-over-month; ⇑+2,486 year-to-date)
- Raleigh: 15,273 (⇓-14,570 MoM; ⇓+8,671 YTD)
- Durham County: 11.908 (⇓-954 MoM; ⇑+2,154 YTD)
- Johnston County: 2,792 (⇓-486 MoM; ⇓-437 YTD)*
- Wake County: 45,017 (⇓-5,844 month-over-month; ⇑+2,486 year-to-date)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- Raleigh: 18,688 (⇑+210 MoM; ⇑+3,317 YTD)
- Durham: 17,922 (⇓-394 MoM; ⇑+2,742 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 17,629 (⇓-470 MoM; ⇑+2,640 YTD)
- Glassdoor: 41,549 jobs across the Research Triangle Park area (⇑+2,964 MoM; ⇑+6,701 YTD)
- Indeed (Editor’s Note: Until July 2022, we tracked using a location filter of up to 5-miles, as of July 2022, we now track using exact location, and will resume month-over-month tracking in August):
- Raleigh: 22,238
- Durham: 13,055
- Chapel Hill: 4,219
- Johnston County: 3,520
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- Raleigh: 28,235 (⇑+951 MoM; ⇑+1,370 YTD)
- Durham: 12,913 (⇑+2,427 MoM; ⇑+3,018 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 4,219 (⇓-490 MoM; ⇑+331 YTD)
- Johnston County: 14,175**
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- Raleigh: 42,191 (⇓-1,320 MoM; ⇑+8,969 YTD)
- Durham: 17,981 (⇓-879 MoM; ⇑+3,123 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 959 (⇓-1 MoM; ⇓-2,685 YTD)
- Johnston County: 387 (⇓-18 MoM; ⇑+8 YTD)*
*Note: The year-to-date data for Johnston County tracks from Jan. 31, 2022, when we began to track job postings in the county for the WRAL TechWire Jobs Report. **Editor’s Note: We’ve updated the methodology for which we track job openings on LinkedIn based anywhere in Johnston County, as of July 2022.
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (215 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (8,838 job openings that include “startup” in the Triangle region), Indeed (278 startup jobs in/near RTP) and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina). And the Durham-based job site InHerSight also lists jobs at local startups among other job postings (166 this week within 25 miles of Raleigh, N.C.).
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order, below.
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. The organization provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Monday, the AMA Triangle job board shows 105 roles within 25 miles of Raleigh and another 88 roles, some of which could be overlapping, within 25 miles of Durham.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground (Editor’s Note: American Underground is owned by Capitol Broadcasting Company, the parent company of WRAL TechWire) regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by company, location and job function. As of Monday, the site shows 152 jobs at 55 companies, with 19 jobs posted in the last week, including:
- Multiple positions at LogDNA
- Multiple positions at ProcessMaker
- Frontend and back end developer roles at RevBoss
- Senior digital product designer at Wild Earth
Last year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000. https://wraltechwire.com/2022/06/22/from-afghanistan-to-sanford-a-former-state-department-exec-finds-his-passion-in-biotech/ Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, and Pfizer in Sanford.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site lists 1,590 job openings overall at 30 companies as of Monday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Blue Cross NC posted 13 openings in Durham this week, including a healthcare consultant, a risk advisor, a provider contract analyst, and a risk adjustment management associate.
- Citrix posted four roles including enablement director.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) is seeking a TV broadcast technician.
- Coastal Credit Union posted three new roles, a benefits administrator, a home equity processor, and a vice president corporate strategies, and executive director of coastal foundation.
- Fidelity Investments posted 55 new roles that could be based in the company’s Durham facility during the last week.
- North Carolina Central University posted more than two dozen positions based from the Durham-based campus this week.
- Self-Help Credit Union seeks a junior recruiter.
- Truist, a week after posting more than three dozen roles, posted 49 additional openings that could be based in the Triangle or in North Carolina.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. The organization recently updated the user interface with a fresh design. Job seekers can filter their search results by position title, job function and location. NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
The site lists 189 openings as of Monday afternoon. Here is what’s new over the last week:
- Brii Biosciences seeks two scientist positions, one in preclinical immunology research, and one in clinical immunology research.
- Alcami is looking to hire ten scientist roles in Wilmington.
- Duke University is hiring for a marketing associate in the Duke Office for Translation & Commercialization.
- Cell Microsystems has posted eight roles including software engineer, manufacturing associate, scientist, QA engineer, and field scientist.
- MedKoo Biosciences is seeking biochemist and chemist interns as well as non-lab entry level scientists.
- Merck & Co. is hiring for nearly 20 new positions in Durham or remotely-based roles.
- Powered Research is looking to hire a preclincal study director.
Note: This list does not include openings posted by recruiting/staffing firms.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board that you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level. Seven jobs were posted in the last week.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size, industry and job function. The site currently lists 139 positions at 30 companies as of Monday afternoon.
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards.
As of Monday afternoon, the site shows 3,193 jobs at 102 companies.
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, regularly shares new openings through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. The program launched a job board on its website earlier this year, with 9,710 active openings as of Monday afternoon. Of those, 7,880 are technology jobs, 1,059 are advanced manufacturing positions, 299 are in cleantech and 472 are in life sciences.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs in the area. Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter today for more details on the latest openings. https://wraltechwire.com/2022/07/07/balance-of-power-workplace-dynamics-shifting-for-tech-workers-employers-again/
Openings at Top Triangle Tech Firms
Job openings abound at the Triangle’s leading technology employers. Here’s how many are available as of Sunday afternoon:
- Bandwidth: 37 job openings in Raleigh, according to the company’s career page
- Fidelity Investments: 693 job openings in Durham, according to the company’s career page
- IBM: 24 job openings in RTP, according to the company’s career page
- Kyndryl: 1,38job openings in RTP, according to the company’s career page
- Lenovo: 361 job openings in Morrisville, according to the company’s career page
- MetLife: 149 job openings in Cary, according to the company’s career page
- Microsoft: 84 job openings in Raleigh, according to the company’s career page
- Pendo: 8 job openings in Raleigh, according to the company’s career page
- Red Hat: 33 job openings in Raleigh, according to the company’s career page
- RTI International: 126 job openings in Durham, according to the company’s career page
- SAS: 159 job openings in Cary, according to the company’s career page
Upcoming Job Fairs/Career Events
Here’s our latest roundup of upcoming job fairs and other resources to help people looking for employment.
- BioNetwork Virtual Career Fair: Aug. 3, 3–6 p.m. (online) The North Carolina BioNetwork will host an online career fair for process technicians seeking jobs at biotechnology, pharmaceutical or chemical manufacturing companies. More information here.
- NC State Engineering Career Fair: Sept. 20–21 (in-person and virtual) In this hybrid career fair, NC State engineering students can meet with employers seeking talent across a range of industries. This is a two-day event: The first day will be held in person, while the second will take place virtually via Career Fair Plus. More details here. https://wraltechwire.com/event/nc-state-engineering-career-fair/
Other Resources / Student Support
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
- Duke University: Career Hub
- Durham Technical Community College: College Central Network
- NC Central University: Career and Professional Development Center
- NC State University: Centennial Campus Job Board, Career Development Center and Jobs at NCSU
- UNC Chapel Hill: University Career Services and Careers at Carolina
- Wake Technical Community College: College Central Network and Career and Employment Resources
For Johnston County job seekers: The recently launched JoCo Careers website helps job seekers find companies hiring in Johnston County. (More TechWire coverage here.) https://wraltechwire.com/2022/01/10/johnston-county-launches-new-jobs-platform-to-connect-workers-to-local-jobs/
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: