RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – The demand for talent continues to outweigh the supply of job seekers in the Triangle area. According to March 2022 data from the North Carolina Department of Commerce, there are about 0.8 job seekers per opening in the state’s North Central Prosperity Zone, which includes the Triangle region.
And with economic pressures tightening due to supply chain issues, COVID, the war in Ukraine and inflation, job seekers have fewer opportunities now than in early-May. That’s according to our latest count of Triangle-area positions on national job boards. Adzuna, for instance, shows 3,966 fewer jobs in Wake and Durham counties than it did on May 2. Indeed.com and ZipRecruiter both dropped 769 openings in Raleigh, 260 in Durham and 72 in Johnston County.
According to N.C. State economist Dr. Mike Walden, the talent shortfall is likely to remain a factor as the post-COVID economy continues to experience changes in demand for talent.
“Many people enjoyed the long Memorial Day weekend with a break from work. After the holiday, they expected to return to their same jobs,” Walden wrote in an email to TechWire. “Yet many economists think this will change in coming years. There will be a major job shift, with some occupations shrinking and others expanding. “
In his latest “You Decide” column, Walden warns that this labor mismatch is not a short-term problem.
“The focus in the labor market over the past year has been about the labor shortage,” he writes. “All workers who left their jobs during the COVID-19 recession have not returned as the economy has improved. This situation has left many businesses short of help.”
“One of the reasons for the shortage is that many workers have moved on to other jobs that pay better. So, there’s not only been a labor shortage, but also a labor reallocation.”
A review of the Triangle job market shows continuing strong demand for tech jobs—a sign of the shift in talent requirements that Walden writes about.
Dice.com, which tracks technology jobs, shows the net addition of 123 positions in Raleigh, 79 in Durham and 112 in Chapel Hill, compared to last month’s totals. Indeed.com and LinkedIn added another 412 in Chapel Hill, and Glassdoor added 273 across the RTP area.
Overall, the current pace of job openings is an improvement from January. Almost all of the sites we analyzed show thousands of jobs added since Jan. 3. See more in the breakdown below.
WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring, and what positions are most in-demand. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources, and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Below, we’ll review what’s new since last week’s Jobs Report.
Local Jobs on National Job Boards
Every week, we track the total number of Triangle-area positions posted on major job websites. Here’s a look at the totals as of Sunday afternoon. Note: The month-over-month totals are compared to our May 2 report, and the year-to-date totals begin with our Jan. 3 report.
- Wake County: 52,234 jobs (⇓ -3,711 month-over-month; ⇑ +9,683 year-to-date)
- Raleigh: 31,539 (⇓-5,113 MoM; ⇑ +7,595 YTD)
- Durham County: 13,181 (⇓ -255 MoM; ⇑ +3,427 YTD)
- Johnston County: 3,265 (⇑ +334 MoM)*
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- Raleigh: 18,574 (⇑ +123 MoM; ⇑ +3,203 YTD)
- Durham: 18,366 (⇑ +79 MoM; ⇑ +3,186 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 18,166 (⇑ +112 MoM; ⇑ +3,177 YTD)
- Glassdoor: 39,340 jobs across the Research Triangle Park area (⇑ +273 MoM; ⇑ +4,492 YTD)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- Raleigh: 17,261 (⇓-932 MoM; ⇑ +853 YTD)
- Durham: 11,071 (⇑ -52 MoM; ⇑ +1,034 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 5,348 (⇑ +318 MoM; ⇑ +1,460 YTD)
- Johnston County: 831 (⇓ -51 MoM)*
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- Raleigh: 30,935 (⇑ +490 MoM; ⇑ +4,070 YTD)
- Durham: 16,224 (⇓ -618 MoM; ⇑ +1,737 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 3,073 (⇑ +94 MoM; ⇑ +643 YTD)
- Johnston County: 1,734 (⇑ +98 MoM)*
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- Raleigh: 40,962 (⇓ -1,701 MoM; ⇑ +7,740 YTD)
- Durham: 17,104 (⇓ -208 MoM; ⇑ +2,246 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 898 (⇑ +33 MoM; ⇓ -2,746 YTD)
- Johnston County: 344 (⇓ -21 MoM)*
*Note: The year-to-date data for Johnston County is not available because we added it to the lineup after January 2022.
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (256 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (14,561 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (320 startup jobs in/near RTP) and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina). InHerSight also has jobs at local startups.
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. The organization provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Sunday afternoon, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 76 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 42 in Durham and 41 in Chapel Hill (using the 25-mile radius filter). Seven local jobs were added to the site over the last week:
- Advance Auto Parts posted three openings in Raleigh: Digital marketing manager, senior marketing analyst, and senior marketing and ecommerce analyst.
- CFK Africa seeks a part-time communications and operations associate in Chapel Hill.
- Dress for Success Triangle is hiring a marketing manager in Raleigh.
- Verizon is growing its Cary office with two new positions: Integrated marketing communications manager and enterprise solutions product marketing manager.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by company, location and job function. As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 239 jobs at 56 companies. Several job openings were posted over the last week:
- Direct Supply, a health care equipment and services provider, seeks a remote software engineer in Durham (or remote).
- Private jet company flyExclusive seeks a first officer/second in command and a captain/pilot in command.
- Log management software provider LogDNA posted several remote positions: Solutions architect, front-end software engineer, senior solutions engineer, senior front-end engineer, senior back-end engineer, senior product manager (multiple openings), senior IT support engineer, release engineer, pipeline product manager, product manager, principal site reliability engineer, data analytics manager and customer success manager.
- Furniture startup Nugget is hiring a CMF designer in Butner.
- Durham’s ProcessMaker, a workflow automation software provider, is looking to hire a vice president of partner channels.
- RepSpark, a B2B ecommerce platform, posted three remote job openings for a customer support engineer, a professional services consultant and a sales account executive.
- The Looma Project, a digital storytelling startup, is looking to add an analytics engineer in Durham.
Last year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 1,521 openings at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Bank of America is hiring across the Triangle:
- Cary: Small business banker
- Knightdale: Small business consultant
- Raleigh: Senior trust officer, consumer investments financial solutions advisor and financial center manager
- Bland Landscaping is hiring an associate branch manager in Apex.
- Blue Cross NC posted several job openings in Durham, including direct sales producer, Treasury analyst, cost management portfolio associate, regional sales executive, accountant, analytics director, system support service manager, developer, senior business systems analyst, senior application system analyst, senior data and technology advisor, portfolio analyst, financial accounting and reporting manager, senior portfolio analyst, quality management consultant, senior product owner, digital platform senior product manager and corporate insurance risk management principal.
- Burt’s Bees is hiring a material handler in Morrisville.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) posted an opening for a learning and development specialist in Raleigh.
- Coastal Credit Union posted openings in Raleigh for a consumer underwriter, a core support engineer and a VP of risk management.
- Fidelity Investments posted lots of new jobs in Durham last week. Open positions include: IT data analyst, talent data delivery administrator, systems analyst, WI digital platforms retirement chapter lead, principal systems analyst, principal software engineer (three openings), customer solutions chapter leader, Scrum master, IT audit senior manager, digital platforms quality engineering chapter leader, senior data analyst, principal software engineer in test, email and web publisher, senior software engineer/developer (three openings), senior business analyst, senior cybersecurity analyst, software engineer director, principal systems analyst, principal Java engineer, senior Java engineer, software engineer (two openings), business analyst, senior project manager, software engineering director, senior immigration specialist, senior full-stack software engineer (two openings), principal full-stack software engineer (two openings), power BI engineer, messaging cloud engineer, senior cloud engineer and senior data engineer.
- Medicago seeks a manufacturing specialist, a project portfolio manager, a quality assurance associate and a senior engineering projects administrator in Durham.
- North Carolina Central University is hiring a building environmental services supervisor in Durham.
- Nugget seeks a CMF designer in Butner.
- Self-Help Credit Union seeks a commercial real estate director, a talent management director and a racial wealth gap initiative coordinator in Durham.
- Truist posted several job openings across the Triangle area:
- Chapel Hill: Teller/senior teller
- Durham: Universal banker
- Garner: On-demand teller
- Morrisville: Branch leader (two openings) and senior relationship banker
- Princeton: Branch leader
- Raleigh: Data governance consultant, senior content designer, software engineer, head of corporate and institutional client journey, cybersecurity compliance senior consultant, administrative assistant, branch coordinator, technology business office director, full-stack software engineer, senior enterprise data architect, data scientist, financial crimes group manager, on-demand teller, teller/senior teller (two openings), relationship banker, universal banker, senior digital marketing specialist, Scrum master, senior data engineer, cybersecurity engineer, senior relationship banker, IT business analyst, digital servicing Scrum master, privacy compliance manager, enterprise privacy and technology office analyst and cybersecurity manager
- Sanford: Teller/senior teller
- Siler City: Teller/senior teller
- Zebulon: IT data center systems specialist
- William Peace University is looking to hire a vice president for university advancement in Raleigh.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius. NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Here is what’s new over the last week:
- Associate director of commercial services, research associate and research technician at Altis Biosystems in Durham
- Senior tissue engineer at Atlantic Fish Co in Durham
- Laboratory technician at BioAesthetics Corporation in Durham
- Biochemist at bioMérieux in Durham
- Laboratory and purchasing manager at BridgeBio Gene Therapy in Raleigh
- Research associate at Cell Microsystems in Durham
- Regulatory affairs manager at CoImmune in Durham
- Postdoctoral associate and GMP quality assurance associate at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Lab research analyst and research technician (two openings) at Duke University Orthopaedic Surgery in Durham
- Preclinical research associate/technician at Locus Biosciences in Morrisville
- Merck & Co. posted several openings in Durham, including associate vaccine manufacturing operations technician, vaccine manufacturing operations technician, associate warehousing technician, HPV associate operations technician, warehousing technician, senior operations technician, HPV senior operations technician, operation manager, HPV operations technician (two openings), DS4 senior operations technician, associate environmental monitoring specialist, quality control specialist (two openings), business consulting specialist, senior maintenance engineering technician, MES global center of excellence engineer (remote), associate production technician and lead operations technician.
- Vice president of finance at the North Carolina Biotechnology Center in Durham
- Ophthalmology in vivo scientist and in vivo study coordinator at Powered Research in Durham
Note: This list does not include openings posted by recruiting/staffing firms.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board that you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level. No new jobs were added to the site last week, so here’s a recap of the previous week’s openings:
- Digital commerce platform commercetools posted several positions in Durham, including field marketing manager, deployment infrastructure product manager, global campaign marketing manager, front-end developer, solutions engineer/security specialist, partner sales manager, commercial partner marketing manager, Scala engineer, enterprise business development representative (two openings), solutions engineer (Spanish-speaking), enterprise account executive, analytics and operations director, business development representative (Spanish-speaking), solutions specialist, talent acquisition associate, people and operations coordinator, mid-market account executive and site reliability engineer (two openings).
- INE, an IT technical training firm, posted two openings in Cary for a DevOps engineer and a defensive cybersecurity instructor.
- Machine learning firm Infinia ML is looking to hire a senior delivery manager and an application security engineer in Durham.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
More than 1,000 resumes were updated on the site this week, as of Sunday afternoon. NCWorks reports thousands of available positions across the Triangle area.
In Wake County, the top employers with the most job openings on NCWorks are*:
- Wake County Public School System
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals
- North Carolina State University
- UNC Health Care System
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University
- Durham Public Schools
- Duke University Health System
- Fidelity Investments
The top employers in Johnston County are:
- Johnston County Public Schools
- Johnston Health
- Novo Nordisk
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Chapel Hill
- UNC Health Care System
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
- Orange County Schools
- Piedmont Health Services
*Note: This data was gathered through NCWorks’ Labor Market Information portal, which aggregates public job listings. NC Commerce confirmed with TechWire that this search pathway has a thorough process to remove duplicate job listings. Check employers’ websites directly for the latest information.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size, industry and job function. The site currently lists 158 positions at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon. A dozen new jobs were posted over the last week:
- Levitate, a client communications software firm in Raleigh, is hiring a content marketing specialist.
- Durham’s MedPharm, a contract development and manufacturing organization, is looking to hire a quality control associate, a pre-clinical study director/study manager and a non-clinical study director/study manager in Durham.
- Raleigh software startup Pendo seeks a digital marketing manager in Raleigh.
- Cloud software provider Veeva Systems posted seven openings in Raleigh: Sales development representative, senior QA engineer, senior clinical operations consultant (remote), implementation consultant, customer success manager (remote), clinical operations consultant (remote) and automation engineer.
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 3,158 jobs at 100 companies. The latest Triangle-area openings (excluding remote jobs) come from the following employers:
- A Place at the Table (Raleigh)
- Bank of America (several locations)
- Bland Landscaping (Apex)
- Blue Cross NC (Durham)
- Burt’s Bees (Morrisville)
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (Raleigh)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- Coastal Credit Union (Raleigh)
- Fidelity Investments (Durham)
- Levitate (Raleigh)
- Medicago (Durham)
- MedPharm (Durham)
- North Carolina Central University (Durham)
- Pendo (Raleigh)
- Self-Help Credit Union (Durham)
- Truist (several locations across the Triangle)
- Unity Web Agency (Raleigh/Durham)
- Veeva Systems (Raleigh)
- William Peace University (Raleigh)
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, regularly shares new openings through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. The program recently launched a job board on its website, with 10,635 active openings as of Sunday afternoon. Of those, 8,538 are technology jobs, 1,219 are advanced manufacturing positions, 358 are in cleantech and 520 are in life sciences.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs in the area. Here’s a recap of last week’s openings (from May 24):
- Spotit Security
- UNC Health
- Credit Suisse
- Duke Energy
- Wake County
- Duke University Hospital
- Wells Fargo
- Blue Cross NC
- Gregory Poole Equipment Company
- NC State University
- Bank of America
- First Citizens
- Highwoods Properties
- Kane Realty
- Town of Holly Springs
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
Openings at Top Triangle Tech Firms
Job openings abound at the Triangle’s leading technology employers. Here’s how many are available as of Sunday afternoon:
- Lenovo: 345 jobs in Morrisville
- SAS: 138 openings in Cary
- Red Hat: 39 openings in Raleigh; 38 remote openings in North Carolina
- Pendo: 24 openings in Raleigh
- IBM: ~22 jobs in RTP, according to the website; 175 jobs in Durham listed on NCWorks
Job Openings Submitted by Local Companies
Below is a list of employer-submitted job openings. If you’d like to submit your job openings for this segment, reach out to us here.
Communications software firm Bandwidth currently has 74 open positions at its Raleigh headquarters. Openings span software development, sales, IT, business analytics, finance, marketing, network engineering and more. See the full list of positions here.
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta plans to boost its headcount by 25% in 2022. Its current job openings include:
- Junior software engineer
- Senior software engineer
- Software architect
- Project manager
- Client support specialist
Upcoming Job Fairs/Career Events
Here’s our latest roundup of upcoming job fairs and other resources to help people looking for employment:
Hospitality Hiring Hour (Recurring Event): Every Tuesday, 4-5 p.m. @Washington Duke Inn
Durham’s Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club, JB Duke Hotel and The Lodge at Duke Medical Center are on the hunt for top talent in the hospitality industry. Job seekers can attend this weekly event series every Tuesday through May 31 to meet with managers/staff to ask questions and learn about the available job opportunities.
Kerr-Tar Regional Job Fair: June 3, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. in Downtown Henderson Hosted by NCWorks, this in-person job fair will connect job seekers with 20-plus local employers. The event will also have drawings for prizes and plenty of networking.
Meet the Employer: First Citizens Bank: June 7, 11:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
This webinar, held a day before NC TECH’s Summer Virtual Tech Job Expo, will inform job seekers on First Citizens Bank’s IT needs, growth plans and recruiting.
Meet the Employer: Credit Suisse: June 7, 3-3:45 p.m. (online)
Ahead of NC TECH’s Virtual Tech Job Expo, job seekers can join this webinar to hear an overview of Credit Suisse’s IT operations, future plans and recruiting needs.
NC TECH’s Virtual Job Expo: June 8, 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (online)
NC TECH’s Job Expo allows job seekers and employers to connect live via chat and video. Employers will host virtual booths describing employee benefits/perks, job vacancies and more. While the event mainly focuses on candidates seeking tech-related jobs/careers and internships, many employers have openings in non-technical roles such as sales/marketing, finance and customer support. As of Sunday, the job fair currently has 20 participating employers with over 1,400 openings.
BioNetwork Virtual Career Fair: Aug. 3, 3-6 p.m. (online)
The North Carolina BioNetwork will host an online career fair for process technicians seeking jobs at biotechnology, pharmaceutical or chemical manufacturing companies.
Other Resources / Student Support
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
- Duke University: Career Hub
- Durham Technical Community College: College Central Network
- NC Central University: Career and Professional Development Center
- NC State University: Centennial Campus Job Board, Career Development Center and Jobs at NCSU
- UNC Chapel Hill: University Career Services and Careers at Carolina
- Wake Technical Community College: College Central Network and Career and Employment Resources
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: