RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – Local job seekers have more prospects now than they did at the start of 2022, according to our new analysis of Triangle-area job openings. However, earlier momentum in the pace of hiring is beginning to wane, with most major job boards showing a drop in positions since late April.
These findings are the result of a new model we’re introducing in our weekly Jobs Report. Since launching the series last year, we’ve been comparing the week-over-week totals of local jobs on major job boards, such as Indeed.com and LinkedIn. But given the current job market dynamics, we’re shifting to a month-over-month and year-to-date view. We believe this will provide a more holistic perspective of the trends over time.
Our first look at the monthly and yearly data reveals that while local job openings have increased since January 2022, the monthly totals have largely declined in timing with rising inflation, interest rate hikes, supply chain shortages and the war in Ukraine.
Adzuna, for example, shows over 20,000 more jobs in the area than it did in January but 7,200 fewer positions since April 25. That trend spread across most of the websites we looked at (see the full breakdown below under the first subheading).
Zooming out a bit, it’s worth noting that North Carolina’s unemployment rate has steadily declined in 2022 and labor force participation is growing. The unemployment rate fell to 3.4% last month, compared to 5.1% a year ago and 14.2% in April 2020.
And the demand for tech-specific jobs, in particular, is surging across the state, per NC TECH’s latest IT Job Trends Report. Since April 2021, IT job openings have risen by 64% in the Raleigh metro area and 32% in Durham/Chapel Hill.
WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring, and what positions are most in-demand. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources, and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Below, we’ll review what’s new since last week’s Jobs Report.
Local Jobs on National Job Boards
Every week, we track the total number of Triangle-area positions posted on major job websites. Here’s a look at the totals as of Sunday afternoon. Note: The month-over-month totals are compared to our April 25 report, and the year-to-date totals begin with our Jan. 3 report.
- Wake County: 52,640 jobs (⇓ -2,721 month-over-month; ⇑ +10,089 year-to-date)
- Raleigh: 31,683 (⇓-4,194 MoM; ⇑ +7,739 YTD)
- Durham County: 12,332 (⇓ -376 MoM; ⇑ +2,578 YTD)
- Johnston County: 3,335 (⇑ +209 MoM)*
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- Raleigh: 18,602 (⇓ -252 MoM; ⇑ +3,241 YTD)
- Durham: 18,408 (⇓ -275 MoM; ⇑ +3,228 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 18,193 (⇓-267 MoM; ⇑ +3,204 YTD)
- Glassdoor: 39,617 jobs across the Research Triangle Park area (⇓ -565 MoM; ⇑ +4,769 YTD)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- Raleigh: 18,188 (⇓-1,661 MoM; ⇑ +1,780 YTD)
- Durham: 11,442 (⇑ +119 MoM; ⇑ +1,405 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 5,353 (⇑ +49 MoM; ⇑ +1,465 YTD)
- Johnston County: 900 (⇓ -11 MoM)*
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- Raleigh: 29,481 (⇓ -1,413 MoM; ⇑ +2,616 YTD)
- Durham: 16,593 (⇓ -634 MoM; ⇑ +2,106 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 3,224 (⇑ +211 MoM; ⇑ +794 YTD)
- Johnston County: 1,671 (⇑ +45 MoM)*
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- Raleigh: 41,454 (⇓ -1,824 MoM; ⇑ +8,232 YTD)
- Durham: 17,457 (⇓ -168 MoM; ⇑ +2,599 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 922 (⇑ +48 MoM; ⇓ -2,722 YTD)
- Johnston County: 366 (⇓ -13 MoM)*
*Note: The year-to-date data for Johnston County is not available because we added it to the lineup after January 2022.
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (256 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (14,561 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (320 startup jobs in/near RTP) and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina). InHerSight also has jobs at local startups.
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. The organization provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Sunday afternoon, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 77 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 41 in Durham and 38 in Chapel Hill (using the 25-mile radius filter). Eight local jobs were added to the site over the last week:
- Duke University’s School of Nursing is hiring a Dean’s communications strategist in Durham.
- Marsh McLennan Agency seeks an industry marketing specialist in Raleigh.
- The North Carolina Healthcare Association is looking to add a communications manager in Cary.
- Relay seeks a marketing operations manager in Raleigh.
- Thomson Reuters is hiring a digital marketing sales executive in Raleigh.
- Verizon is growing its Cary office with two new positions: Senior product marketing advisor and senior marketing recruiter.
- Wells Fargo posted an opening for a lead marketing consultant/marketing campaign manager in Raleigh.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by company, location and job function.
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 273 jobs at 56 companies. Five job openings were posted in the last week:
- Health care solutions provider Aledade seeks a senior product manager in Durham (or remote).
- Durham’s ProcessMaker, a workflow automation software provider, is looking to hire a vice president of finance.
- RepSpark, a B2B ecommerce platform, posted three remote job openings for a customer support engineer, a professional services consultant and a sales account executive.
Last year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 1,545 openings at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Blue Cross NC posted several job openings in Durham, including clinical coding analyst, principal financial advisor, senior financial analyst in vendor management, financial portfolio analyst, senior business systems analyst, strategic advisor of cost of care intelligence/enterprise strategy, director of member enrollment and operations, business systems manager, principal portfolio analyst, OME risk management director, portfolio management delivery director and principal risk advisor.
- Burt’s Bees is hiring a sanitizer in Morrisville.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) posted openings for a corporate controller in Raleigh and a real estate project manager in Durham.
- Fidelity Investments, which recently revealed plans to add about 1,700 more employees in North Carolina (many based in RTP), posted several new jobs in Durham last week. Open positions include: Streaming events product manager, senior full-stack engineer, principal software engineer (five openings), full-stack engineer, senior software engineer (six openings), senior data scientist, front-end development director, software engineering director, senior software engineer in emerging technologies, stock plan services product owner, senior UX designer, senior systems analyst, cyber fraud software engineer, enterprise insights and analytics squad leader, lead RPA engineer, principal data engineer, lead IAM software engineer, senior cybersecurity consultant, trading architecture director, wallet architect director, senior software engineer in test and principal systems analyst. And in Raleigh, the bank is looking to hire a relationship manager.
- Google, which opened a new office in Durham earlier this year, posted several local positions with remote options: Technical program manager of security and trust incident management, senior Android machine learning software engineer, Seed Studio art director, technical incident management program manager, technical solutions engineering partner and staff UX designer (three openings).
- Medicago seeks a senior microbiology QC technician and a senior quality assurance associate in Durham.
- North Carolina Central University posted four job openings in Durham: Facility maintenance supervisor, administrative support associate, facility maintenance technician (mechanical trades) and support services supervisor.
- Research Triangle Park seeks a building engineer in Durham.
- Self-Help Credit Union posted two openings in Durham: A commercial lending program associate and a vice president for the organization’s Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Center for Community Self-Help.
- Truist posted several job openings in Raleigh, including intelligent automation data scientist, threat simulation developer/cybersecurity manager, relationship banker, software engineer (two openings), senior enterprise architect, software engineer senior quality analyst, cyber program lead strategist, senior content designer, financial service specialist, enterprise architect, senior cybersecurity information security officer, financial crimes investigator, OIM system administrator (two openings), CCB underwriter and portfolio manager and HR employee relations manager. The bank is also looking to hire a branch leader in Cary.
- William Peace University in Raleigh seeks an adjunct biology professor.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius. NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Here is what’s new over the last week:
- Quality control associate at Abzena in Sanford
- The Duke Human Vaccine Institute posted five openings in Durham: Bioinformatician, GMP bioprocess development scientist, research scientist, senior bioinformatician and postdoctoral associate.
- Lab research analyst at the Duke Molecular Physiology Institute in Durham
- Research associate at Cell Microsystems in Durham
- Product manager at ColoWrap in Durham
- Senior inventory analyst at Grifols in Clayton
- Locus Biosciences in Morrisville seeks a project coordinator, an R&D product delivery scientist, an inflammatory bowel disease scientist, an R&D project manager and candidates for its rotational program in automation and bioinformatics.
- Merck & Co. posted several openings in Durham, including lead purification operations technician, PLC/SCADA Global Lead (remote option), lead operations technician, quality control specialist, senior manufacturing operations technician, lead technician (three openings), HPV operations manager, associate specialist, DS4 operations technician, building automation global lead (remote option), senior maintenance engineering technician and senior operations clean utilities technician.
- Quality assurance associate/specialist at NightHawk Biosciences in Morrisville
- Director of research translation at UNC Chapel Hill’s Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research
Note: This list does not include openings posted by recruiting/staffing firms.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board that you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level.
About two dozen jobs were added to the site last week:
- Digital commerce platform commercetools posted several positions in Durham, including field marketing manager, deployment infrastructure product manager, global campaign marketing manager, front-end developer, solutions engineer/security specialist, partner sales manager, commercial partner marketing manager, Scala engineer, enterprise business development representative (two openings), solutions engineer (Spanish-speaking), enterprise account executive, analytics and operations director, business development representative (Spanish-speaking), solutions specialist, talent acquisition associate, people and operations coordinator, mid-market account executive and site reliability engineer (two openings).
- INE, an IT technical training firm, posted two openings in Cary for a DevOps engineer and a defensive cybersecurity instructor.
- Machine learning firm Infinia ML is looking to hire a senior delivery manager and an application security engineer in Durham.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
More than 1,200 resumes were updated on the site this week, as of Sunday afternoon. NCWorks reports thousands of available positions across the Triangle area.
In Wake County, the top employers with the most job openings on NCWorks are*:
- Wake County Public School System
- North Carolina State University
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals
- UNC Health Care System
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University
- Durham Public Schools
- Duke University Health System
- Fidelity Investments
The top employers in Johnston County are:
- Johnston County Public Schools
- Johnston Health
- Novo Nordisk
- UNC Health Care System
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Chapel Hill
- UNC Health Care System
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
- Orange County Schools
- AHS NurseStat
*Note: This data was gathered through NCWorks’ Labor Market Information portal, which aggregates public job listings. NC Commerce confirmed with TechWire that this search pathway has a thorough process to remove duplicate job listings. Check employers’ websites directly for the latest information.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size, industry and job function.
The site currently lists 173 positions at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon. Seven new jobs were posted over the last week:
- Durham’s MedPharm, a contract development and manufacturing organization, is looking to hire a GLP study manager/director.
- Raleigh software startup Pendo seeks a contracts manager in Raleigh.
- Cloud software provider Veeva Systems posted five openings in Raleigh: Events manager, data architect (remote option), customer success manager (remote option) and SMB CRO account partner (two openings).
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 3,197 jobs at 100 companies. The latest Triangle-area openings (excluding remote jobs) come from the following employers:
- Aledade (Durham)
- Blue Cross NC (Durham)
- Burt’s Bees (Morrisville)
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (Raleigh and Durham)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- Fidelity Investments (Durham)
- Google (Durham)
- Medicago (Durham)
- MedPharm (Durham)
- North Carolina Central University (Durham)
- ProcessMaker (Durham)
- Self-Help Credit Union (Durham)
- Truist (Raleigh)
- Veeva Systems (Raleigh)
- William Peace University (Raleigh)
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, regularly shares new openings through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. The program recently launched a job board on its website, with 10,634 active openings as of Sunday afternoon. Of those, 8,517 are technology jobs, 1,226 are advanced manufacturing positions, 366 are in cleantech and 525 are in life sciences.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs in the area. Here’s a recap of last week’s openings (from May 17):
- Washington Duke Inn
- UNC Health
- Duke Energy
- Wake County
- First National Bank
- Duke Hospital
- Wells Fargo
- Gregory Poole Equipment Company
- Blue Cross NC
- NC State’s Department of Molecular Biomedical Sciences
- Bank of America
- Kane Realty
- First Citizens
- Highwoods Properties
- Coastal Credit Union
- Capitol Broadcasting Company
- Martin Marietta
- RTI International
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
Openings at Top Triangle Tech Firms
Job openings abound at the Triangle’s leading technology employers. Here’s how many are available as of Sunday afternoon:
- Lenovo: 343 jobs in Morrisville
- SAS: 130 openings in Cary
- Red Hat: 24 openings in Raleigh; 34 remote openings in North Carolina
- Pendo: 36 openings in Raleigh
- IBM: ~18 jobs in RTP, according to the website; 166 jobs in Durham listed on NCWorks
Job Openings Submitted by Local Companies
Below is a list of employer-submitted job openings. If you’d like to submit your job openings for this segment, reach out to us here.
Communications software firm Bandwidth currently has 79 open positions at its Raleigh headquarters. Openings span software development, sales, IT, business analytics, finance, marketing, network engineering, operations and more. See the full list of openings here.
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta plans to boost its headcount by 25% in 2022. Its current job openings include:
- Junior software engineer
- Senior software engineer
- Software architect
- Project manager
- Client support specialist
Upcoming Job Fairs/Career Events
Here’s our latest roundup of upcoming job fairs and other resources to help people looking for employment:
Hospitality Hiring Hour (Recurring Event): Every Tuesday, 4-5 p.m. @Washington Duke Inn
Durham’s Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club, JB Duke Hotel and The Lodge at Duke Medical Center are on the hunt for top talent in the hospitality industry. Job seekers can attend this weekly event series every Tuesday through May 31 to meet with managers/staff to ask questions and learn about the available job opportunities.
Virtual Tech Job Expo 101: How Does It Work?: May 25, 10-10:45 a.m. (online)
Ahead of NC TECH’s Summer Virtual Tech Job Expo on June 8, employers and job seekers are invited to receive a tour of the Premier Virtual event platform and learn how to submit job openings, resumes and more information, and communicate with candidates/employers.
Kerr-Tar Regional Job Fair: June 3, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. in Downtown Henderson
Hosted by NCWorks, this in-person job fair will connect job seekers with 20-plus local employers. The event will also have drawings for prizes and plenty of networking.
Meet the Employer: First Citizens Bank: June 7, 11:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
This webinar, held a day before NC TECH’s Summer Virtual Tech Job Expo, will inform job seekers on First Citizens Bank’s IT needs, growth plans and recruiting.
Meet the Employer: Credit Suisse: June 7, 3-3:45 p.m. (online)
Ahead of NC TECH’s Virtual Tech Job Expo, job seekers can join this webinar to hear an overview of Credit Suisse’s IT operations, future plans and recruiting needs.
NC TECH’s Virtual Job Expo: June 8, 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (online)
NC TECH’s Job Expo allows job seekers and employers to connect live via chat and video. Employers will host virtual booths describing employee benefits/perks, job vacancies and more. While the event mainly focuses on candidates seeking tech-related jobs/careers and internships, many employers have openings in non-technical roles such as sales/marketing, finance and customer support.
Other Resources / Student Support
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
- Duke University: Career Hub
- Durham Technical Community College: College Central Network
- NC Central University: Career and Professional Development Center
- NC State University: Centennial Campus Job Board, Career Development Center and Jobs at NCSU
- UNC Chapel Hill: University Career Services and Careers at Carolina
- Wake Technical Community College: College Central Network and Career and Employment Resources
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: