RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – Our latest count of Triangle-area listings on national job boards shows that local hiring activity appears to be balancing out after a few weeks of solid gains. Still, there are thousands of open positions across the area.
Every Sunday, WRAL TechWire tracks the total number of local positions posted on national job boards, then we compare it to the previous week’s count. After steady gains across most platforms since late-March, local hiring activity seems to be winding down over the past week:
While ZipRecruiter shows 792 more jobs in the area than it did a week ago, another jobs site, Adzuna, dropped 4,759 positions across Wake and Durham counties.
Similarly, Indeed.com shows a net addition of 350 openings across Durham, Chapel Hill and Johnston County, but Dice.com has 1,927 fewer jobs in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill than it did seven days ago.
Overall, Triangle-area counties continue to have some of the lowest unemployment rates in North Carolina, as TechWire reported last week. But the demand is still strong for new talent: Today’s Jobs Report outlines a wide range of openings, from marketing professionals to software developers to manufacturing technicians.
WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring, and what positions are most in-demand. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources, and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Below, we’ll review what’s new since last week’s Jobs Report.
Local Jobs on National Job Boards
Here’s a look at the total number of local jobs posted on national job boards compared to last week, as of Sunday afternoon.
- ⇓ Wake County: 51,995 jobs (-2,962 from a week ago)
- ⇓ Raleigh: 31,092 (-1,797)
- ⇓ Durham County: 12,956 (-129)
- ⇑ Johnston County: 3,067 (+42)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 18,750 (-645)
- ⇓ Durham: 18,566 (-667)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 18,351 (-615)
- Glassdoor: ⇓ 39,857 jobs across the Research Triangle Park area (-628)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 18,034 (-291), with 3,605 jobs posted in the last seven days
- ⇑ Durham: 11,145 (+130), with 2,444 jobs posted in the last seven days
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 5,336 (+226), with 1,382 jobs posted in the last seven days
- ⇑ Johnston County: 925 (+10), with 172 jobs posted in the last seven days
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 32,592 (-578), with 8,756 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇓ Durham: 16,010 (-771), with 3,442 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 2,705 (-1), with 605 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Johnston County: 1,630 (+47), with 458 jobs posted in the past week
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 42,112 (+238)
- ⇑ Durham: 17,670 (+404)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 4,087 (+142)
- ⇑ Johnston County: 375 (+8)
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (260 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (10,812 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (355 startup jobs in/near RTP) and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. The organization provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Sunday afternoon, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 90 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 47 in Durham and 28 in Chapel Hill (using the 25-mile radius filter).
Two local jobs were added to the site over the last week:
- NielsenIQ posted an opening for a director of product marketing (remote or in Raleigh).
- Siemens seeks a senior marketing communications specialist in Wendell.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by company, location and job function.
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 265 jobs at 53 companies. Nine openings were posted over the last week:
- Log management software provider LogDNA posted two remote openings for a senior ecosystem product manager and a pipeline product manager.
- Insurtech startup Policygenius posted two openings for customer engagement associates (one remote and one in Durham).
- Durham’s ProcessMaker, a provider of workflow automation software, is looking to hire a controller.
- RevBoss, a Durham-based sales prospecting company, posted an opening for an account executive.
- Edtech startup Upswing seeks a remote political science tutor and a remote history tutor.
- Wild Earth, a pet food company, is hiring a recruitment and onboarding specialist in Raleigh.
Last year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 877 openings at 31 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Bank of America seeks a supervision manager in Raleigh and a wealth management client associate in Chapel Hill.
- Blue Cross NC posted several new job openings in Durham, including episodic care manager, AI/Python principal developer, principal product developer, medical director in healthcare consulting group markets, portfolio analyst, data scientist, director of portfolio management for analytics, senior data scientist, principal business systems analyst, principal strategic advisor of healthcare, strategic advisor of enterprise strategy, strategic advisor associate, appeals associate, website strategy and content optimization director, senior strategic advisor of customer experience, program manager associate, coaching advisor, strategy director, strategic advisor of market intelligence and enterprise strategy, principal strategic advisor of diversified business planning and performance, assistant actuary, actuarial analyst, principal data and technology advisor, customer escalation analyst, underwriter and accounting assistant.
- Burt’s Bees posted two openings for a senior sales planning analyst in Durham and a production supervisor in Morrisville.
- Coastal Credit Union seeks a financial well-being associate in Raleigh.
- Medicago seeks a manufacturing specialist and a microbiology quality control manager in Durham.
- North Carolina Central University posted several positions in Durham, including infrastructure director, pre-award research administrator program specialist, visual arts specialist, professor, web developer, administrative support specialist, medical/pharmacy technician/nursing assistant, research scientist, facility maintenance technician in mechanical trades (two openings), assistant professor in mass communication-media studies, recruitment and employer development director, assistant dean/MBA program director, academic program manager, comptroller and facilities MRR engineer.
- PNC Bank is hiring a branch banker in Carrboro.
- Truist posted dozens of job openings across the Triangle area:
- Carrboro: Universal banker
- Cary: On-demand teller and retail mortgage loan originator
- Chapel Hill: Retail mortgage loan originator and teller/senior teller
- Clayton: Universal banker (two openings) and financial services specialist
- Durham: Employee benefits insurance account manager, business services officer/commercial banker and teller/senior teller (multiple openings)
- Garner: Teller/senior teller (three openings) and on-demand teller
- Holly Springs: Teller/senior teller
- Morrisville: Senior relationship banker
- Pittsboro: Relationship banker (four openings) and branch leader
- Raleigh: Business intelligence analyst, experience senior designer, phone channel authentication senior product owner, cybersecurity engineer (three openings), vice president marketing manager, IT project manager, group technology manager, enterprise data senior manager, quantitative model validation officer, senior internal auditor, cybersecurity manager, software engineer, technology business office consultant, group guild director, financial advisor, senior UX designer, enterprise technology program director, UX researcher, financial crimes investigator, senior administrative assistant, cybersecurity senior engineer, cybersecurity program senior strategist, quantitative model validation officer, principal data systems advisor, retail community mortgage specialist, employee benefits quality analyst, senior IT solutions architect, regional insurance strategist, cyber cloud IAM engineer, and business intelligence analytics and reporting developer
- Selma: Insurance market conduct licensing specialist
- Siler City: Branch leader
- Smithfield: Market president prod, teller/senior teller and retail mortgage loan originator
- Self-Help Credit Union is hiring a regional HR manager and a compliance team leader in Durham.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius. NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Here is what’s new over the last week:
- Alcami is hiring for several positions at its manufacturing center in Morrisville: Openings include senior environmental monitoring tech, manufacturing technician, analytical scientist (two openings), associate analytical scientist (two openings) and raw materials associate scientist (two openings). And in Durham, the company is hiring two analytical scientists.
- Research assistant at Altis Biosystems in Durham
- Entry-level technician intern at Ascent Bio-Nano Technologies in Morrisville
- Array products scientist and engineered products manufacturing associate at Cell Microsystems in Durham
- GMP manufacturing tech in process development (two openings) associate GMP scientist and database systems analyst at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Senior associate scientist/technology development scientist and associate scientist in computational biology and bioinformatics at Life Edit Therapeutics in Durham
- Biotech strategy analyst, patent specialist/agent and quality specialist at Locus Biosciences in RTP
- Merck & Co. posted several openings in Durham, including operations manager, operations instrument technician, associate quality specialist, senior instrumentation technician, business consulting specialist, technician (two openings), associate operations production technician, lead technician, senior operations technician, senior HVAC/air conditioning technician, quality operations laboratory specialist, senior manufacturing automation specialist, senior quality specialist in maintenance and reliability engineering, senior IT quality assurance specialist, associate operations technician, lab automation specialist, senior quality assurance specialist and associate director of quality assurance.
- Senior clinical trial assistant at Nicox Ophthalmics in Durham
- Workforce development program coordinator at the North Carolina Biotechnology Center in Durham
- Histology research associate, external manufacturing manager, social/digital media intern and clinical quality assurance manager at Precision BioSciences in Durham
- Cell biologist/biochemistry scientist at Ribometrix in Durham
- Temporary associate in analytics R&D at United Therapeutics in Durham
Note: This list does not include openings posted by recruiting/staffing firms.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board that you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level.
One job was added to the site last week:
- Software firm Lumaverse Technologies posted a remote opening for a senior DevOps engineer.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
About 1,115 resumes were updated on the site in the past week, as of Sunday afternoon. NCWorks reports thousands of available positions across the Triangle area.
In Wake County, the top employers with the most job openings on NCWorks are*:
- Wake County Public School System
- North Carolina State University
- UNC Health Care System
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals
- University of North Carolina
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University
- Duke University Health System
- Durham Public Schools
- Fidelity Investments
- Cree Wolfspeed
The top employers in Johnston County are:
- Johnston Health
- Novo Nordisk
- UNC Health Care System
- Johnston County Public Schools
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Health Care System
- UNC Chapel Hill
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
- Orange County Schools
*Note: This data was gathered through NCWorks’ Labor Market Information portal, which aggregates public job listings. NC Commerce confirmed with TechWire that this search pathway has a thorough process to remove duplicate job listings. Check employers’ websites directly for the latest information.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry.
The site currently lists 179 positions at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon. Over a dozen new jobs were posted over the last week:
- Product design and development firm MedPharm is hiring a study associate, a DMPK department manager/senior manager, an analytical scientist, an accounting clerk and a formulation development research technician in Raleigh.
- Raleigh software startup Pendo seeks an associate consultant, a design recruiter, an accounts receivable manager and a sponsorship manager (remote).
- Cloud software provider Veeva Systems is looking to grow its Raleigh team, posting openings for a Java software engineer, a clinical operations consultant (remote), a senior clinical operations consultant (remote) and five senior software engineers across React, Python, Java and front-end development.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 2,485 jobs at 98 companies. The latest Triangle-area openings (excluding remote jobs) come from the following employers:
- Bank of America (Chapel Hill and Raleigh)
- Blue Cross NC (Durham)
- Burt’s Bees (Durham and Morrisville)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- Coastal Credit Union (Raleigh)
- Medicago (Durham)
- MedPharm (Durham)
- North Carolina Central University (Durham)
- Pendo (Raleigh)
- Policygenius (Durham)
- ProcessMaker (Durham)
- Self-Help Credit Union (Durham)
- Truist (multiple locations across the Triangle)
- Veeva Systems (Raleigh)
- Wild Earth (Raleigh)
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, regularly shares new openings through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. The program recently launched a job board on its website, with 12,253 active openings as of Sunday afternoon. Of those, 9,871 are technology jobs, 1,379 are advanced manufacturing positions, 344 are in cleantech and 659 are in life sciences.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs in the area. Here’s a recap of last week’s openings (from April 5):
- Duke Energy
- Wake County
- PNC Bank
- Duke University Hospital
- Blue Cross NC
- Gregory Poole Equipment Company
- NC State University
- UNC Health
- Greene Resources
- Deutsche Bank
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
Openings at Top Triangle Tech Firms
Job openings abound at the Triangle’s leading technology employers. Here’s how many are available as of Sunday afternoon:
- Lenovo: 292 jobs in Morrisville (Some news: The company recently announced plans to hire 12,000 R&D professionals over three years)
- SAS: 146 openings in Cary
- Red Hat: 67 openings in Raleigh; 73 remote openings in North Carolina
- Pendo: 40 openings in Raleigh
- IBM: 30 jobs in RTP, according to the website; 181 jobs in Durham, per NCWorks
Job Openings Submitted by Local Companies
Below is a list of employer-submitted job openings. If you’d like to submit your job openings for this segment, reach out to us here.
Communications software firm Bandwidth currently has 87 open positions at its Raleigh headquarters. Openings span software development, sales, IT, revenue operations, business analytics, finance, legal, marketing, network engineering, operations and more. A few internships are available as well. Read more and apply here.
Rho, a contract research organization in Research Triangle Park, is hiring for several positions, with some offering $10,000 sign-on bonuses:
- Senior clinical research associate
- Senior project manager
- Senior neurology/psychiatry medical director
- Senior oncology medical director
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta plans to boost its headcount by 25% in 2022. Its current job openings include:
- Junior software engineer
- Senior software engineer
- Software architect
- ISSS product specialist
- Project manager
- Client support manager and specialist
Upcoming Job Fairs/Career Events
Here’s our latest roundup of upcoming job fairs and other resources to help people looking for employment:
Hospitality Hiring Hour: Every Tuesday, 4-5 p.m. @Washington Duke Inn
Durham’s Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club, JB Duke Hotel and The Lodge at Duke Medical Center are on the hunt for top talent in the hospitality industry. Job seekers can attend this weekly event series every Tuesday through May 31 to meet with managers/staff to ask questions and learn about the available job opportunities.
RDU Concessions Job Fair: April 11, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. @Holiday Inn at RDU Airport
The Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority will connect job seekers with 11 companies representing restaurants, retailers and rental car services within the Raleigh-Durham International Airport Concessions Job Fair. More details here.
BioNetwork Virtual Career Fair: April 21, 3-6 p.m. (online)
North Carolina BioNetwork will host an online career fair for job seekers in the life science field. Participating employers include Biogen, Grifols, GSK, Merck, Seqirus, Thermo Fisher Scientific and others.
UNC Hospitals RN Care Manager & Utilization Manager Virtual Hiring Event: April 25, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. (online)
RN care managers and RN utilization managers are invited to apply for an opportunity to interview with UNC Health during this virtual hiring event. Positions are available at UNC Medical Center’s Chapel Hill and Hillsborough campuses and qualify for an extensive benefits package. Read more and submit an application here.
2022 NC State Alumni Career Fair: May 10, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. @Reynolds Coliseum
The Alumni Career Fair is a recruiting event for recent and experienced alumni at NC State and surrounding institutions. More than 70 employers have signed up to attend as of April 10.
Other Resources / Student Support
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
- Duke University: Career Hub
- Durham Technical Community College: College Central Network
- NC Central University: Career and Professional Development Center
- NC State University: Centennial Campus Job Board, Career Development Center and Jobs at NCSU
- UNC Chapel Hill: University Career Services and Careers at UNC Chapel Hill
- Wake Technical Community College: College Central Network and Career and Employment Resources
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: