RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – Local hiring activity—particularly in technology fields—continues to bounce back from low marks seen immediately following the onset of the global pandemic in March 2020.
Every Sunday, WRAL TechWire tracks the total number of local positions posted on national job boards, then we compare it to the previous week’s count.
Local hiring activity: up in last 7 days
Adzuna shows 2,520 more jobs in Wake County and 2,358 more jobs in Raleigh than it did a week ago. Dice.com, a site for tech jobs, added 322 openings in Raleigh, 340 jobs in Durham and 322 in Chapel Hill, compared to last week’s count.
The numbers dropped modestly on other sites, though. Indeed.com and LinkedIn, for example, show 603 fewer jobs in Raleigh than they did a week ago.
Totals aside, technology positions continue to dominate the local job market, with some of the Triangle’s top tech employers on the hunt for fresh talent. IBM has over 100 RTP/Durham positions listed on its website, Lenovo has 274 openings in Morrisville, and SAS seeks talent for 147 jobs in Cary. More details below.
WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring, and what positions are most in-demand. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources, and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Here’s what’s new since last week’s Jobs Report.
National Job Boards
Here’s a look at the total number of local jobs posted on national job boards compared to last week, as of Sunday afternoon.
- ⇑ Wake County: 49,994 jobs (+2,520 from a week ago)
- ⇑ Raleigh: 29,979 (+2,358)
- ⇑ Durham County: 13,247 (+108)
- ⇑ Johnston County: 2,941 (+182)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 19,595 (+322)
- ⇑ Durham: 19,466 (+340)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 18,903 (+322)
- Glassdoor*: ⇑ 38,674 jobs across the Research Triangle Park area (+8,830)*
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 18,178 (-178)
- ⇑ Durham: 11,096 (+161)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 5,005 (+40)
- ⇓ Johnston County: 1,054 (-25)
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 32,975 (-425), with 7,945 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Durham: 16,606 (+466), with 4,421 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 2,684 (+22), with 491 jobs posted in the past week
- – Johnston County: 1,598 (no change), with 366 jobs posted in the past week
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 42,139 (+490)
- ⇓ Durham: 18,314 (-19)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 4,174 (-59)
- ⇓ Johnston County: 351 (-27)
*Note: Since this is a huge jump compared to what we normally see in a given week, and the other sites did not show a week-to-week trend reaching the same scale, we’re assuming it’s an anomaly for now. We’ll keep an eye on the totals for next week’s Jobs Report.
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (253 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (10,562 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (357 startup jobs in/near RTP) and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Sunday afternoon, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 121 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 70 in Durham and 43 in Chapel Hill (using the 25-mile radius filter).
Six local jobs were added to the site over the last week:
- Duke University Alumni Engagement and Development is looking to hire a donor relations stewardship coordinator and an assistant director of marketing and communications.
- Hillrom seeks a senior video communications software engineer in Cary.
- Marsh & McLennan Companies is hiring a marketing and communications intern.
- The North Carolina Bar Association posted an opening for a marketing specialist in Cary.
- Verizon seeks an enterprise field marketing manager in Cary.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by company, location and job function. As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 294 jobs at 48 companies.
About two dozen jobs were added to the site over the last seven days:
- Healthcare firm Aledade seeks an executive assistant in Durham and a medical assistant in Cary.
- Crossrope, a fitness tech startup in Raleigh, is hiring a growth and partnerships director.
- Kinston-based private jet company flyExclusive posted several job openings, including G-IV captain, pilot, CE-560XL captain, line service technician, CE-750 captain, CE-560 captain and CE-525 captain.
- California-based insurtech startup Noyo seeks a remote customer onboarding and operations manager.
- Furniture startup Nugget seeks a manufacturing engineer in Butner.
- Durham-based quantum computing startup POLARISqb is hiring a sales executive, a business development executive, a full-stack developer, a computational or medicinal chemist, a quantum computing engineer and a project manager.
- Insurtech startup Policygenius is hiring a security manager and a data science intern.
- Payments software provider Spreedly posted two job openings in Durham (remote options available) for a strategic partner manager and a solutions consultant.
- The Looma Project, a Durham-based digital storytelling startup, is looking to add a junior operations specialist and a director of content sales and strategy.
- Durham-based medical device company 410 Medical seeks a student intern marketing analyst.
Last year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 671 openings at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Bank of America seeks a financial solutions advisor trainee and a relationship manager in Raleigh.
- Bland Landscaping is hiring two irrigation technicians and two landscape installation skilled laborers in Apex and Durham.
- Blue Cross NC posted several openings in Durham, including senior investigator, data delivery and engineering manager, senior delivery product manager, quality auditor, staff actuary, corporate compliance consultant, strategic advisor of physician practice services and solutions, senior business process consultant, commercial markets financial analyst, senior portfolio analyst, enterprise business analyst, senior enterprise product manager, marketing communications specialist, category manager, senior application system analyst, team lead, enterprise consulting strategy consultant, data governance specialist, pilot program senior product manager, senior communications specialist and enterprise consulting senior strategy consultant.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) is hiring a project coordinator, a TV switchboard receptionist and an investigative sports reporter in Raleigh. In Durham, the company seeks a leasing specialist, a baseball timeclock operator, a baseball statistician, a scoreboard operator, a promotion assistant, a PA announcer, an on-field announcer/entertainer, a music operator and a seasonal/part-time game day stringer.
- Citrix posted openings in Raleigh for a work collaboration specialist, a digital sales executive, a product design director (remote option) and a senior software engineer (remote option).
- Coastal Credit Union seeks an account manager in Durham and a community impact intern in Raleigh.
- Google is hiring two cloud compliance program managers, a data analytics technical writer and a product operations lead in Raleigh. It’s also hiring a technical editor and a deal pricing associate in Durham. And it posted two remote openings for a global transportation manager and an infrastructure developer relations engineer.
- North Carolina Central University added 15 positions in Durham, including project manager engineer, communications specialist, human resources manager, mechanical trades facility maintenance technician (three openings), administrative support associate (two openings), accountant/financial analyst, accounting technician, administrative support specialist, technology support analyst, building environmental services supervisor and student counselor.
- Nugget seeks a manufacturing engineer in Butner.
- Self-Help Credit Union posted four openings in Durham: Talent acquisition specialist/recruiter, construction director, director of investor relations, and investment and impact reporting associate.
- Truist posted several job openings across its Triangle-area locations:
- Chapel Hill: Relationship banker
- Durham: Business banker and senior relationship banker
- Raleigh: Senior enterprise technology project manager, commercial real estate analyst, privileged access management cybersecurity manager, lead software engineer, software engineer, CRE underwriter and portfolio manager, cybersecurity manager, .NET developer and collaboration lead
- Rolesville: Relationship banker
- Pittsboro: Relationship banker
- William Peace University is hiring an associate registrar in Raleigh.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius. NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Here’s what’s new over the last week:
- Research technician at Altis Biosystems in Durham
- Immunology scientist at AskBio in Durham
- Product development engineer intern at Ascent Bio-Nano Technologies in Morrisville
- Immunology process development scientist at CoImmune in Durham
- Toxicology study program leader at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Grifols posted nine openings in Clayton, including process engineer, mechanical maintenance technician, aseptic filling technician, raw material chemist, fractionation technician, IGIV-C technician, biologist (two openings) and construction project engineer.
- Senior molecular biologist/scientist at North Carolina Central University’s Biomanufacturing Research Institute and Technology Enterprise
- Engineering intern at NuPulseCV in Raleigh
- Merck & Co. posted several openings in Durham, including environmental monitoring quality operations specialist, quality control specialist, senior operations technician, operations manager (two openings), quality control manager, health and safety specialist, engineering specialist, value chain management intern, maintenance repair and operations associate specialist, IT quality assurance senior specialist, senior specialist in deviation management engineering, maintenance and calibration operations manager, senior instrumentation technician (three openings), senior warehouse technician (two openings), warehouse technician, associate warehouse technician (four openings) and quality operations laboratory specialist.
- Precision BioSciences posted five openings in Durham: Senior quality assurance associate, associate director of alliance management, internal communications manager, analytical development associate and associate director of analytical development.
Note: This list does not include openings posted by recruiting/staffing firms.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board that you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level.
No new jobs were added to the site last week, so here’s a recap of the previous week’s openings:
- The Duke Human Vaccine Institute seeks a database systems analyst in Durham.
- Tech consulting firm Resolvit Resources is hiring a digital marketing manager in Raleigh.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
Around 1,700 resumes were updated on the site in the past week, as of Sunday afternoon. NCWorks reports thousands of available positions across the Triangle area.
In Wake County, the top employers with the most job openings on NCWorks are*:
- Wake County Public School System
- North Carolina State University
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals
- UNC Health Care System
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University
- Duke University Health System
- Fidelity Investments
The top employers in Johnston County are:
- Johnston County Public Schools
- Johnston Health
- Novo Nordisk
- UNC Health Care System
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Chapel Hill
- UNC Health Care System
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
- Orange County Schools
- Piedmont Health Services
*Note: This data was gathered through NCWorks’ Labor Market Information portal, which aggregates public job listings. NC Commerce confirmed with TechWire that this search pathway has a thorough process to remove duplicate job listings. Check employers’ websites directly for the latest information.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry. The site currently lists 173 positions at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Fifteen jobs were added to the site over the last seven days:
- Data and analytics consulting firm Astral Consulting Group seeks an engagement manager in Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill.
- Raleigh-based blockchain startup Kaleido is hiring a senior full-stack engineer, a site reliability engineer, a developer evangelist, and a content writer and strategist.
- Durham’s MedPharm, a contract development and manufacturing organization, seeks an analytical scientist in HPLC method development.
- Local software firm Pendo seeks an account executive (remote), a scrum master, an HR systems analyst and a controller in Raleigh.
- Rasgo, a data science platform, added a remote job opening for a senior data engineer.
- Parking platform Secure Parking USA seeks a groundskeeper/cleaner and a parking attendant in Raleigh.
- Cloud software provider Veeva Systems posted openings for a product manager and an analytics services director in Raleigh.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 2,355 jobs at 95 companies. The latest Triangle-area openings (excluding remote jobs) come from the following employers:
- Aledade (Cary, Durham)
- Astral Consulting Group (Chapel Hill/Durham/Raleigh)
- Bank of America (Raleigh)
- Bland Landscaping (Apex, Durham)
- Blue Cross NC (Durham)
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (Durham, Raleigh)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- Coastal Credit Union (Durham, Raleigh)
- EarthOptics (Garner)
- Google (Raleigh, Durham)
- Johnston County Industries (Erwin, Mount Olive, Selma, Smithfield)
- Kaleido (Raleigh)
- MedPharm (Durham)
- North Carolina Central University (Durham)
- Nugget (Butner)
- Pendo (Raleigh)
- Policygenius (Durham)
- Secure Parking USA (Raleigh)
- Self-Help Credit Union (Durham)
- Spreedly (Durham)
- Truist (Chapel Hill, Durham, Pittsboro, Raleigh)
- Veeva Systems (Raleigh)
- William Peace University (Raleigh)
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, regularly shares new openings through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. The program recently launched a job board on its website, with 10,871 active openings as of Sunday afternoon. Of those, 8,713 are technology jobs, 1,269 are advanced manufacturing positions, 300 are in cleantech and 589 are in life sciences.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs in the area. Here’s a recap of last week’s openings (from Feb. 15):
- Fujifilm Diosynth
- Duke Energy
- Wake County
- PNC Bank
- Wells Fargo
- Bank of America
- Credit Suisse
- First National Bank
- First Citizens
- Duke Hospital
- Blue Cross NC
- Gregory Poole Equipment Company
- UNC Health
- Greene Resources
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
Openings at Top Triangle Tech Firms
Job openings abound at the Triangle’s leading technology employers. Here’s how many are available as of Sunday afternoon:
- IBM: 100+ jobs in RTP/Durham
- Lenovo: 274 jobs in Morrisville
- Pendo: 65 openings in Raleigh
- Red Hat: 75 openings in Raleigh; 70+ remote openings in North Carolina
- SAS: 147 openings in Cary
New Jobs at Other Local Employers
New Jobs at Rho
Rho, a contract research organization in Research Triangle Park, told TechWire last week that the firm is ready to expand its team after a year of successful growth in business development.
The company has several open positions listed on its website, with some offering $10,000 sign-on bonuses. Read more and apply here.
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Last month, Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta told TechWire that it’s continuing to hire in the Triangle area after adding more than 20 people to its team last year. Currently at 78 employees, Terra Dotta anticipates adding nearly two dozen new hires this year as it builds out its global engagement platform, which helps colleges and universities connect all aspects of international programming and campus services.
“Fortunately, we’re in a good position as interest in global engagement continues to grow,” Terra Dotta CEO Anthony Rotoli says. “2021 was a record year for Terra Dotta, in spite of the pandemic, and we are entering an exciting growth phase. We plan to hire 20+ more people in 2022 across the entire organization and are looking at a 100+ headcount this time next year.”
Terra Dotta’s current job openings span product development and client support teams. Read more and apply here.
“We always try to hire in the Triangle area first and then move to hiring remote if we can’t fill the position locally/hybrid,” Rotoli added. “Competition is steep for new talent.”
Upcoming Job Fairs and Career Events
Hospitality Hiring Hour: Every Tuesday, 4–5 p.m. @Washington Duke Inn
Durham’s Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club, JB Duke Hotel and The Lodge at Duke Medical Center are on the hunt for top talent in the hospitality industry. Job seekers can attend this weekly event series every Tuesday through May 31 to meet with managers/staff to ask questions and learn about the available job opportunities.
Wolfpack 1st & Goal Virtual Career Fair: Feb. 21, 6–8 p.m. (online)
NC State University’s Career Development Center is hosting its annual Wolfpack 1st and Goal event, geared towards employers looking to provide networking, internship and postgraduate employment opportunities for student-athletes. All sophomore, junior and senior student-athletes are invited to attend.
NC State Startup Job & Resource Fair: Feb. 23, 4–6 p.m. @NC State Entrepreneurship Garage
NC State Entrepreneurship and Raleigh Founded are co-hosting a job and resource fair for students interested in joining a startup team or starting their own venture.
NC TECH Virtual Job Expo: March 9, 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. (online)
This virtual job fair targets candidates seeking tech-related jobs or internships. Local employers can meet with job seekers in virtual booths. Registration is free for job seekers.
BioNetwork Virtual Career Fair: April 21, 3–6 p.m. (online)
North Carolina BioNetwork will host an online career fair for job seekers in the life science field. Participating employers include Biogen, Grifols, GSK, Merck, Seqirus, Thermo Fisher Scientific and others.
Other Resources / Student Support
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
- Duke University: Career Hub
- Durham Technical Community College: College Central Network
- NC Central University: Career and Professional Development Center
- NC State University: Centennial Campus Job Board, Career Development Center and Jobs at NCSU
- UNC Chapel Hill: University Career Services and Careers at UNC Chapel Hill
- Wake Technical Community College: College Central Network and Career and Employment Resources
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: