RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – The demand for talent is growing in the Triangle. From pharma giants and multinational banks to local tech startups, universities and hospital systems, a wide range of companies are recruiting in the area.
Local employers added thousands of job openings over the last week. LinkedIn, for example, shows 1,187 more jobs available in Durham than it did last week at this time. ZipRecruiter also added 1,879 positions in Raleigh and 1,767 in Durham compared to last week’s count. And Dice.com, which tracks tech jobs, added over 3,600 jobs across Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill over the last seven days.
However, not every job board recorded gains in Triangle-area openings last week. Indeed.com, for one, has 1,351 fewer job openings in Durham than it did last week.
WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring, and what positions are most in-demand. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources, and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Here’s what’s new since last week’s Jobs Report.
National Job Boards
Here’s a look at the total number of local jobs posted on national job boards compared to last week, as of Sunday afternoon.
- Wake County: 51,391 jobs
- Raleigh: 29,400
- Durham County: 12,855
- Johnston County: 3,229
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 19,031 (+926)
- ⇑ Durham: 18,842 (+880)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 19,532 (+1,812)
- Glassdoor: ⇑ 36,969 jobs across the Research Triangle Park area (+320)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 16,928 (+176)
- ⇓ Durham: 9,130 (-1,351)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 4,704 (-16)
- ⇑ Johnston County: 977 (+43)
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 31,513 (+674), with 8,103 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Durham: 16,316 (+1,187), with 3,833 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 2,629 (-177), with 529 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Johnston County: 1,546 (+22), with 350 jobs posted in the past week
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 35,998 (+1,879)
- ⇑ Durham: 17, 428 (+1,767)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 4,107 (+170)
- ⇑ Johnston County: 379 (+35)
*Note about the Adzuna numbers: This is a significant jump compared to what we usually see in a given week. Since the other sites did not show increases of similar proportions, we’re holding off on offering a week-to-week comparison for now. We’ll keep an eye on the totals for next week’s Jobs Report.
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (253 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (9,878 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (357 startup jobs in/near RTP) and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Sunday afternoon, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 96 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 69 in Durham and 49 in Chapel Hill (using the 25-mile radius filter).
Several local jobs were added to the site over the last seven days:
- The Accreditation Commission for Health Care added an opening for a marketing specialist in Cary.
- Bank of America posted openings for a relationship manager business owner specialist in RTP, a financial center manager in Chapel Hill, and five relationship bankers in Apex, Holly Springs, Durham and Chapel Hill.
- Baxter and Hillrom are hiring an executive director of care communications digital health solutions in Cary.
- Duke University Alumni Engagement and Development seeks an assistant director of donor engagement programs, marketing, communications and stewardship.
- The Economic Partnership of North Carolina is hiring a digital marketing specialist in Raleigh.
- Epic Games is looking to hire a product communications intern in Cary.
- Little seeks an external communications manager in Durham (and other locations).
- Stewart is hiring a proposal coordinator in Raleigh.
- Verizon seeks a 5G product marketing manager in Cary.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by company, location and job function. As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 224 jobs at 45 companies.
Over a dozen jobs were added to the site over the last week:
- Real estate startup Acre Labs added a remote legal counsel job opening.
- Workforce software provider CloudFactory is hiring a senior product marketing manager, a data analyst and a senior campaign manager in Raleigh.
- Elevate Labs, a brain training app developer, added two remote openings for a Canadian English contract editor and an Australian English contract editor.
- Insurtech startup Policygenius seeks an engineering manager in Durham.
- Design studio Purpose UX is looking to add a UX designer in Durham.
- Durham-based data science firm NoviSci is hiring a scientific software developer, a business development coordinator and a senior clinical project manager.
- California-based insurtech startup Noyo added a remote job opening for a recruiter.
- Pet food company Wild Earth posted an opening for a customer success representative in Raleigh.
Last year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 622 openings at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- A Place at the Table seeks a cafe manager in Raleigh.
- Bank of America posted openings for a relationship manager business owner specialist in Durham and four relationship bankers in Chapel Hill, Durham, Knightdale and Raleigh.
- Blue Cross NC added 11 openings in Durham, including senior .Net developer, senior marketing copywriter, senior application system analyst, marketing operations manager, Medicare marketing strategic advisor, vendor service delivery consultant, service operations BI developer/analyst, foundational planner and leader in acquisition and retention, acquisition and retention campaign strategist, senior counsel and lead program manager.
- Burt’s Bees is hiring a remote Asia human insights manager.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) is hiring a sales coordinator in Raleigh and a social media baseball trainee and tickets baseball trainee in Holly Springs.
- Coastal Credit Union seeks a foreclosure specialist, a risk and compliance manager, and a card services manager in Raleigh.
- North Carolina Central University in Durham posted openings for a broadcast and emerging media specialist, an assistant professor of music in jazz studies, an administrative support specialist, a financial analyst accountant and two administrative support associates.
- Self-Help Credit Union is looking to hire a part-time teller/member service representative in Durham.
- Truist posted several job openings across the Triangle area:
- Cary: Commercial banker
- Chapel Hill: Senior relationship banker
- Raleigh: Deposit and related activities relationship specialist, fair lending analytics compliance manager, systems analyst, open banking senior product manager, data scientist, virtual senior cybersecurity manager, remote penetration tester, relationship/senior relationship banker, DevOps engineer, lead infrastructure engineer and software engineer
- Smithfield: Market president producer
- William Peace University in Raleigh is hiring a director of residence life and housing, two public safety officers, a remote grant writer, a head coach of women’s volleyball, an assistant women’s soccer coach, a coordinator of enrollment operations and an assistant director of admissions.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program. Over a dozen jobs were posted over the last week:
- Director/senior director of finance at Beam Therapeutics in RTP
- HR departmental director, scientific program leader, GMP technical operations lead process engineer and GMP quality assurance associate at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Research data tech at Duke University’s Center for Human Systems Immunology in Durham
- Duke University Orthopaedic Surgery is hiring three research technicians and a lab research analyst in Durham.
- Process development engineer and corporate meeting planner at Grifols in Durham
- Merck & Co. added several openings in Durham, including executive director of quality strategy and compliance, engineering specialist, utilities technician, quality operations laboratory senior specialist, sterility assurance and microbial control senior specialist, automation engineer/business consultant, senior quality control specialists, senior site learning specialist, manufacturing process engineer, senior specialist in learning and development, regional medical scientific director, operations associate technicians (two openings), weigh and dispense quality assurance senior specialist, environmental monitoring associate specialist, deviation management specialist, weigh and dispense quality assurance specialist, operations technician, vaccine automation specialist, deviation management associate specialist and senior instrumentation technician.
- Laboratory operations manager and lab systems analyst at NC State University’s Plant Science Initiative
- Research tech at Pearlita Foods in Raleigh
- Precision BioSciences is looking to fill several summer internships in Durham. Openings are spread across several fields, including supply chain, validation engineering, cell therapy analytical development, gene therapy analytical development, cell therapy process development, CMC program management, PMO program management, business development, and finance and accounting. The company is also hiring a director of manufacturing sciences and technology.
- Microfluidics engineer, quality technician and bookkeeper/administrative assistant at Redbud Labs in RTP/Durham
- Director of information technology at Ribometrix in Durham
- Commissioning and qualification engineering consultants at Sequence in Morrisville
- Principal scientist/associate director of formulation development at Shattuck Labs in Durham
- Molecular and cell biology research specialist at UNC’s School of Medicine in Chapel Hill
Note: This list does not include openings posted by recruiting/staffing firms.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board that you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level. Nine new jobs were added to the site over the last week:
- Machine learning firm Infinia ML posted openings for an application security engineer, a database engineer and a site reliability engineer in Durham.
- North Carolina Education Lottery is looking to add a chief technology officer in Raleigh.
- North Carolina’s Office of State Human Resources is hiring a chief information officer in Raleigh.
- Edtech startup Terra Dotta seeks a senior software engineer, a software architect and a client support manager in Chapel Hill.
- UNC’s Kenan-Flagler Business School is hiring a remote/hybrid senior developer.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
About 1,800 resumes were updated on the site in the past week, as of Sunday afternoon. NCWorks reports thousands of available positions across the Triangle area.
In Wake County, the top employers with the most job openings on NCWorks are*:
- Wake County Public School System
- North Carolina State University
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals
- UNC Health Care System
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University
- Durham Public Schools
- Duke University Health System
The top employers in Johnston County are:
- Johnston County Public Schools
- Novo Nordisk
- Flanders PrecisionAire
- UNC Health Care System
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Chapel Hill
- UNC Health Care System
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
- Orange County Schools
- AHS NurseStat
*Note: This data was gathered through NCWorks’ Labor Market Information portal, which aggregates public job listings. NC Commerce confirmed with TechWire that this search pathway has a thorough process to remove duplicate job listings. Check employers’ websites directly for the latest information.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry. The site currently lists 178 positions at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Over the past week, 13 job openings were added to the site:
- Data and analytics consulting firm Astral Consulting Group seeks an engagement manager in Raleigh (or remote).
- Raleigh-based project services firm Baseline Controls is hiring project controls managers and a project planner/project controls specialist.
- Levitate, a client communications software firm, posted an opening for a content marketing coordinator in Raleigh.
- Durham’s MedPharm, a contract development and manufacturing organization, is looking to add an analytical scientist specializing in method transfer and validation, and an analytical scientist specializing in HPLC method development.
- Raleigh-based software startup Pendo seeks a sales operations manager, a field marketing manager, a customer community manager, a sales development manager and an enterprise account executive (remote).
- Cloud software provider Veeva Systems posted two openings for a Java software engineer and an R&D SMB sales manager in Raleigh.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 2,276 jobs at 93 companies. The latest Triangle-area openings (excluding remote jobs) come from the following employers:
- A Place at the Table (Raleigh)
- Bank of America (Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh)
- Baseline Controls (Raleigh)
- Blue Cross NC (Durham)
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (Holly Springs and Raleigh)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- CloudFactory (Raleigh)
- Coastal Credit Union (Raleigh)
- Levitate (Raleigh)
- MedPharm (Durham)
- North Carolina Central University (Durham)
- Pendo (Raleigh)
- Policygenius (Durham)
- Self-Help Credit Union (Durham)
- Truist (Cary, Chapel Hill, Raleigh)
- Veeva Systems (Raleigh)
- WildEarth (Raleigh)
- William Peace University (Raleigh)
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, regularly shares new openings through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. The program recently launched a job board on its website, with 7,508 active openings as of Sunday afternoon. Of those, 5,351 are technology jobs, 1,468 are advanced manufacturing positions, 244 are in cleantech and 445 are in life sciences.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs in the area. Here’s a recap of last week’s openings (from Jan. 25):
- City of Raleigh
- Duke Energy
- PNC Bank
- Wake County
- Duke Hospital
- Bank of America
- Wells Fargo
- Credit Suisse
- Gregory Poole Equipment Company
- Capitol Broadcasting Company
- First Citizens
- Martin Marietta
- NC State University
- Red Hat
- Blue Cross NC
- Coastal Credit Union
- Fifth Third Bank
- First National Bank
- Deutsche Bank
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Earlier this month, Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta told TechWire that it’s continuing to hire in the Triangle area after adding more than 20 people to its team last year. Currently at 78 employees, Terra Dotta anticipates adding nearly two dozen new hires this year as it builds out its global engagement platform, which helps colleges and universities connect all aspects of international programming and campus services.
“Fortunately, we’re in a good position as interest in global engagement continues to grow,” Terra Dotta CEO Anthony Rotoli says. “2021 was a record year for Terra Dotta, in spite of the pandemic, and we are entering an exciting growth phase. We plan to hire 20+ more people in 2022 across the entire organization and are looking at a 100+ headcount this time next year.”
Terra Dotta’s current job openings span product development, client support, general and administrative teams. Read more and apply here.
“We always try to hire in the Triangle area first and then move to hiring remote if we can’t fill the position locally/hybrid,” Rotoli added. “Competition is steep for new talent.”
Upcoming Job Fairs and Career Events
Spring 2022 Virtual Internship, Career & Job Fair: Feb. 8–10 (online) The National Institute for Innovation in Manufacturing Biopharmaceuticals (NIIMBL) is hosting a three-day virtual career fair for job seekers in the biopharmaceutical industry. Attendees will connect with employers through one-on-one and group sessions to discuss career and internship opportunities.
Wake Tech Community College Business & IT Spring 2022 Career Fair: Feb. 9, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
In February 2022, Wake Tech will host an online job fair for business and information technology students looking for new career opportunities.
Carolina Career Exploration & Experience Days: Feb. 16–17, 1–4 p.m. (online) UNC Chapel Hill Career Services is hosting a two-part event where student job seekers can connect virtually with recruiters. The Feb. 16 session targets STEM majors, while the Feb. 17 event applies to all majors.
NC State Startup Job & Resource Fair: Feb. 23, 4–6 p.m. @NC State Entrepreneurship Garage
NC State Entrepreneurship and Raleigh Founded are co-hosting a job and resource fair for students interested in joining a startup team or starting their own venture.
NC TECH Virtual Job Expo: March 9, 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. (online)
This virtual job fair targets candidates seeking tech-related jobs or internships. Local employers can meet with job seekers in virtual booths. Registration is free for job seekers.
Other Resources / Student Support
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
- Duke University: Career Hub
- Durham Technical Community College: College Central Network
- NC Central University: Career and Professional Development Center
- NC State University: Centennial Campus Job Board, Career Development Center and Jobs at NCSU
- UNC Chapel Hill: University Career Services and Careers at UNC Chapel Hill
- Wake Technical Community College: College Central Network and Career and Employment Resources
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: