RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – From banking to health insurance to software, many industries are clamoring for IT talent, and recruiting remains strong in the health, education and government sectors despite the recent winter storms as well as continuing COVID fallout, according to a review of job websites across the Triangle.
As a whole, local hiring activity appears to be slowly recovering, with most major job boards showing a jump in the total number of Triangle-area openings compared to this time last week.
Every Sunday, we track the total amount of Triangle-area openings listed on major job boards. LinkedIn, for example, has 2,229 more jobs in Raleigh than it did a week ago. Dice.com, which lists tech jobs, shows over 2,500 additional jobs in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill compared to last week’s count.
WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring, and what positions are most in-demand. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources, and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Here’s what’s new since last week’s Jobs Report.
National Job Boards
Here’s a look at the total number of local jobs posted on national job boards compared to last week, as of Sunday evening.
- ⇑ Wake County: 56,625 jobs (+13,158 from a week ago)*
- ⇑ Raleigh: 29,789 (+4,773)
- ⇓ Durham County: 11,191 (-906)
- ⇑ Johnston County: 2,696 (+38)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 18,105 (+848)
- ⇑ Durham: 17,962 (+818)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 17,720 (+847)
- Glassdoor: ⇓ 36,649 jobs across the Research Triangle Park area (-205)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 16,752 (-324)
- ⇑ Durham: 10,481 (+41)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 4,720 (-57)
- ⇓ Johnston County: 934 (-5)
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 30,893 (+2,229), with 8,517 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Durham: 15,129 (+722), with 3,324 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 2,806 (+152), with 529 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Johnston County: 1,524 (+3), with 373 jobs posted in the past week
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 34,119 (+587)
- ⇑ Durham: 15,661 (+512)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 3,937 (+67)
- ⇑ Johnston County: 344 (+4)
*Note about the Adzuna numbers: This is a major jump compared to what we normally see in a given week. Since the other sites did not show increases of similar proportions, we’re assuming it’s an anomaly for now. We’ll keep an eye on the totals for next week’s Jobs Report.
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (242 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (9,500+ results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (347 startup jobs in/near RTP) and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Sunday evening, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 67 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 45 in Durham and 31 in Chapel Hill (using the 25-mile radius filter).
Several local jobs were added to the site over the last seven days:
- Advance Auto Parts added two openings for a senior marketing and commerce analyst (in Raleigh) and an associate creative marketing manager (remote or in Raleigh).
- Duke Alumni Engagement and Development is hiring a senior stewardship coordinator.
- Duke University’s Pratt School of Engineering seeks an executive director of communications and marketing in Durham.
- The Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina is hiring a senior communications manager in Raleigh.
- Marsh McLennan Agency is hiring a marketing and communications intern in Raleigh.
- Verizon posted two job openings in Cary for a B2B marketing manager and a unified communications project manager.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by company, location and job function. As of Sunday evening, the site shows 224 jobs at 44 companies.
Ten jobs were added to the site over the last week:
- Workforce software provider CloudFactory is hiring a sales enablement manager in Raleigh.
- Local edtech startup LearnPlatform is looking for a software support engineer to work remotely or out of its office in Raleigh.
- California-based insurtech startup Noyo added two remote job openings for a solutions engineer and a manager of operation specialists.
- Insurtech startup Policygenius is looking to hire a marketing associate in Durham.
- Durham’s ProcessMaker, a provider of workflow automation software, posted two openings for a solutions product manager and a financial services account executive.
- Local telecommunication firm Relay seeks a marketing data and operations intern in Raleigh.
- Pet food company Wild Earth posted two openings in Raleigh for an investor relations associate and a customer success representative.
Last year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 625 openings at 28 companies as of Sunday evening.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Bland Landscaping seeks a lawn care manager in Apex.
- Blue Cross NC added several openings in Durham, including associate underwriter, underwriter, business application expert, medical team leader, senior data scientist, customer solutions and performance analyst, EX1496 category manager, senior workday technical analyst, staff actuary, senior delivery product owner, senior coding analyst (multiple openings), strategic advisor of innovation and new ventures, clinical pharmacy team leader, program manager, accounts payable analyst, data integrity team leader, infrastructure design engineer, BI developer/analyst, senior infrastructure design engineer, clinical coding and outreach manager, FEP program manager, principal data integration architect, senior coding analyst and data integrity manager.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) is hiring an account manager in Raleigh and a Durham Bulls intern in Durham.
- Coastal Credit Union is hiring a systems analyst in Raleigh.
- Compass Center for Women and Families added two local openings for a bilingual self-sufficiency coordinator and a court advocacy intern.
- Medicago seeks a manufacturing training lead in Durham.
- North Carolina Central University posted three openings in Durham for a facilities engineer, a project manager engineer and an associate professor (within NCCU’s Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders).
- Research Triangle Park is looking to hire a part-time events coordinator and a full-time events coordinator at its Boxyard space.
- Truist added several openings across its Triangle-area locations:
- Cary: Relationship/senior relationship banker
- Durham: Senior relationship banker, teller/senior teller (multiple openings), relationship banker, surety bond account manager (hybrid work option) and retail mortgage loan originator
- Chapel Hill: Teller/senior teller, on demand teller (three openings), relationship banker and senior relationship banker (two openings)
- Raleigh: Relationship/senior relationship banker, on demand teller, software engineer, Scrum master, DevSecOps engineer, data science accelerator intern (summer 2022), Splunk ES senior engineer (virtual), quantitative specialist, DC2 program execution lead, retail mortgage loan originator, software engineer and senior cybersecurity engineer (virtual)
- Smithfield: Teller/senior teller
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
NCBiotech’s jobs board was offline at the time of writing this Jobs Report on Sunday, so here’s a recap of the previous week’s listings (Jan. 10–17).
- Quality control manager, tech services quality control manager, senior QC associate and contract recruiter at Abzena in Sanford
- Product development director at Ascent Bio-Nano Technologies in Morrisville
- Bioanalytical and bioassay lead, formulation and analytical development research associate, and formulation research associate at AskBio in RTP
- Beam Therapeutics is looking to fill several positions in Durham, including quality assurance operations manager, quality control microbiology manager, maintenance manager/senior manager, quality systems manager/senior manager, manufacturing sciences and technology intern, senior quality validation technician, manufacturing specialist, senior manufacturing manager, senior manufacturing sciences and technology manager, senior manufacturing specialist and warehouse lead/senior manager.
- Postdoctoral associate, senior lab assistant, research technician (two openings), senior GMP program director, lab research analyst and senior research associate at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Grifols is hiring for several positions in Clayton, including fractionation manufacturing technician (two openings), fractionation technician (two openings), IGIV-C manufacturing technician (two openings), senior shipper receiver, purification technician, associate human resources director, utility plant operator, compensation analyst, HR service center and onboarding administration manager, biochemist, biologist and clinical operations specialist.
- Merck & Co. posted several jobs in Durham, including maintenance and calibrations operations manager, senior site learning specialist, engineering strategic projects associate director, senior specialist in learning and development, regional medical scientific director, associate technical project manager/director, lead instrumentation technician, senior utilities technician, associate engineering specialist, senior technician, engineering specialist, oncology principal medical writer, engineering specialist, senior validation engineering specialist, senior quality control specialist, global medical affairs associate director, VMF product release specialist, senior lab automation specialist, manufacturing automation specialist, senior operations technician and senior instrumentation technician (two openings).
- Manufacturing associate, facilities specialist and lab equipment technician at Precision BioSciences in Durham
- Grant writer at Redbud Labs in RTP
- Research associate at Symberix in Durham
- Scientist at Tavros Therapeutics in Durham
- Project manager/research specialist at the UNC School of Medicine in Chapel Hill
Note: This list does not include openings posted by recruiting/staffing firms.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board that you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level.
One new job was added to the site over the last week:
- Software firm Lumaverse Technologies added an opening for a DevSecOps engineer. Though the company is headquartered in Charlotte, the position will be remote.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted. NCWorks also has a mobile app on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
About 1,421 resumes were updated on the site in the past week, as of Sunday evening. NCWorks reports thousands of available positions across the Triangle area.
In Wake County, the top employers with the most job openings on NCWorks are*:
- Wake County Public School System
- North Carolina State University
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals
- UNC Health Care System
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University
- Duke University Health System
- Durham Public Schools
- Fidelity Investments
The top employers in Johnston County are:
- Johnston County Public Schools
- Novo Nordisk
- UNC Health Care System
- Food Lion
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Chapel Hill
- UNC Health Care System
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
- AHS NurseStat
- Orange County Schools
*Note: This data was gathered through NCWorks’ Labor Market Information portal, which aggregates public job listings. NC Commerce confirmed with TechWire that this search pathway has a thorough process to remove duplicate job listings. Check employers’ websites directly for the latest information.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry. The site currently lists 171 positions at 30 companies, as of Sunday evening.
About a dozen job openings were added to the site last week:
- Local edtech firm LearnPlatform is hiring a software support engineer (remote or in Raleigh).
- Levitate, a client communications software firm, is hiring a sales development manager in Raleigh.
- Product design and development firm MedPharm seeks a GMP manufacturing operator and a data quality control associate in Durham.
- Marketing and strategy consultancy Noel & Co. seeks a marketing assistant in Raleigh.
- Raleigh-based software startup Pendo added eight job openings: strategic pricing and packaging manager, product design manager, product designer, associate product manager, sales system coordinator, enterprise account executive (remote), senior FP&A director and quality engineer.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Sunday evening, the site shows 2,101 jobs at 92 companies. The latest Triangle-area openings (excluding remote jobs) come from the following employers:
- Aledade (Benson)
- Bland Landscaping (Apex)
- Blue Cross NC (Durham)
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (Durham and Raleigh)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- CloudFactory (Raleigh)
- Coastal Credit Union (Raleigh)
- LearnPlatform (Raleigh)
- Levitate (Raleigh)
- Medicago (Durham)
- MedPharm (Durham)
- NC Central University (Durham)
- Noel & Co. (Raleigh)
- Pendo (Raleigh)
- Policygenius (Durham)
- ProcessMaker (Durham)
- Relay (Raleigh)
- Research Triangle Park (RTP)
- Truist (across the Triangle)
- Wild Earth (Raleigh)
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. And the search continues to be intense for talent to fill thousands of open jobs both inside and outside the Triangle tech sector.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs in the area. Here’s a recap of last week’s openings (from Jan. 18):
- Duke Energy
- PNC Bank
- Wake County
- Bank of America
- Duke University Hospital
- Wells Fargo
- Credit Suisse
- Fred Smith Company
- Gregory Poole Equipment Company
- Capitol Broadcasting Company
- First Citizens
- Martin Marietta
- NC State University
- Red Hat
- Blue Cross NC
- Clancy & Theys Construction Company
- Fifth Third Bank
- First National Bank
- Highwoods Properties
- Greene Resources
- UNC Chapel Hill
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Earlier this month, Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta told TechWire that it’s continuing to hire in the Triangle area after adding more than 20 people to its team last year. Currently at 78 employees, Terra Dotta anticipates adding nearly two dozen new hires this year as it builds out its global engagement platform, which helps colleges and universities connect all aspects of international programming and campus services.
“Fortunately, we’re in a good position as interest in global engagement continues to grow,” Terra Dotta CEO Anthony Rotoli says. “2021 was a record year for Terra Dotta, in spite of the pandemic, and we are entering an exciting growth phase. We plan to hire 20+ more people in 2022 across the entire organization and are looking at a 100+ headcount this time next year.”
Terra Dotta’s current job openings span product development, client support, general and administrative teams. Read more and apply here.
“We always try to hire in the Triangle area first and then move to hiring remote if we can’t fill the position locally/hybrid,” Rotoli added. “Competition is steep for new talent.”
Upcoming Job Fairs and Career Events
TriWiSTEM Ultimate Mock Interview Virtual Event for Undergraduate College Women: Jan. 24, 5-8 p.m. (online) Triangle Women in STEM and NC State’s Career Development Center are co-hosting a mock interview event for undergraduate women in STEM programs. Attendees will meet virtually with recruiters from RTP companies across a range of industries, from biotech to civil engineering to IT to fintech and beyond. (Note: Registration closes on Jan. 21.)
Spring 2022 Virtual Internship, Career & Job Fair: Feb. 8-10 (online) The National Institute for Innovation in Manufacturing Biopharmaceuticals (NIIMBL) is hosting a three-day virtual career fair for job seekers in the biopharmaceutical industry. Attendees will connect with employers through one-on-one and group sessions to discuss career and internship opportunities.
NC TECH Virtual Job Expo: Feb. 9, 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. (online)
This virtual job fair is designed for candidates seeking tech-related jobs or internships. Local employers can meet with job seekers in virtual booths. Registration is free for job seekers.
Wake Tech Community College Business & IT Spring 2022 Career Fair: Feb. 9, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
In February 2022, Wake Tech will host an online job fair for business and information technology students looking for new career opportunities.
NC State Startup Job & Resource Fair: Feb. 23, 4-6 p.m. @NC State Entrepreneurship Garage
NC State Entrepreneurship and Raleigh Founded are co-hosting a job and resource fair for students interested in joining a startup team or starting their own venture.
Other Resources / Student Support
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
- Duke University: Career Hub
- Durham Technical Community College: College Central Network
- NC Central University: Career and Professional Development Center
- NC State University: Centennial Campus Job Board, Career Development Center and Jobs at NCSU
- UNC Chapel Hill: University Career Services and Careers at UNC Chapel Hill
- Wake Technical Community College: College Central Network and Career and Employment Resources
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: