The summer doldrums certainly didn’t hit the red-hot Triangle startup scene. Seventeen deals closed, representing more than $65 million in financing. But that total doesn’t include the $91 million raised for a new investment fund at Hatteras Venture Partners nor the $25 million pulled in by Spoonflower. So quite a hot month for deal-making, eh?
Consider this: In each of the last two QUARTERS, RTP-area firms raised just over $110 million.
In July, fundings totaled close to $50 million, based on a review of public SEC filings.
So how hot is the Triangle?
The region is on a roll despite the fact VC confidence is at a two-year low, according to the latest survey of Silicon Valley VCs.
Cary-based Medfusion’s raising of $3 million is the latest fund-raiser with Bull City Venture Partners and Hatteras each kicking in $1.5 million. That deal was announced Tuesday but closed last week.
Spoonflower’s fund-raiser didn’t show up in a review of SEC filings, so August easily topped $90 million in capital flowing to a wide range of startups, from biotech to ed tech to employment services.
Here’s a quick snapshot of successful closings in August:
- Medfusion, Inc. $3,000,000 2015-08-28
- ArchiveSocial, Inc. $1,039,981 2015-08-27 (Note: This is a revised notice acknowledging the $100,000 received from Steve Case and Rise of the Rest, notes CEO Anil Chawla.)
- Benson Hill Biosystems, Inc. $7,300,000 2015-08-25
- KindHeart, Inc. $245,029 2015-08-24
- Hatteras Venture Partners V, LP $91,122,449 2015-08-24
- Lea(R)n, Inc. $800,000 2015-08-21
- AgBiome, LLC $34,500,387 2015-08-21
- GENEBIOLOGY, INC. $400,000 2015-08-21
- EmployUs, Inc. $499,999 2015-08-20
- Predictify.me, Inc. $1,425,000 2015-08-19
- Primal Space Systems Inc. $2,999,997 2015-08-17
- baebies inc. $13,000,000 2015-08-12
- Pack Purchase, Inc. $1,035,714 2015-08-10
- Phoundry Pharmaceuticals, Inc. $500,000 2015-08-06
- WAIOUT, INC $125,000 2015-08-05
- TA GCIV I LLC $250,000 2015-08-04
- Growers Holdings LLC ($750,000 2015-08-04
- AdWerx, Inc. $1,250,000 2015-08-03