In today’s Bulldog wrapup of technology news:

  • A prostitute pleads guilty in the death of a Google executive
  • Apple updates some of its Macs
  • Allscripts is cutting jobs in Raleigh
  • An anti-Muslim video is back online at YouTube
  • Alibaba’s founder apologizes for counterfeit goods

The details:

  • Prostitute pleads guilty in overdose death of Google exec

A California prostitute charged with killing a Google executive with an overdose of heroin aboard his yacht has pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and administering drugs.

A Santa Cruz County Superior Court judge sentenced defendant Alix Tichelman to six years in prison on Tuesday.
Authorities say Tichelman injected Forrest Timothy Hayes with heroin in November 2013 then left without seeking help when he passed out on the yacht.

Authorities said Hayes hired Tichelman several times before and they were doing drugs and having sex the night he died.

Tichelman’s attorney Larry Biggam says his client was relieved to have the court proceedings behind her and she is expected to serve only three years. She will be credited for nearly a year already served

  • Apple updates MacBook Pro, cuts price on high-end iMac

Apple is introducing an updated MacBook Pro and iMac and lowering the price for its top-end iMac.

The updated 15-inch MacBook Pro laptop has a new style of trackpad, faster flash storage and a longer battery life and starts at $1,999.

The new $1,999 iMac desktop computer has a higher-resolution 27-inch screen and faster processor.

Apple’s top-end iMac will now sell for $2,299. It has been selling for $2,499 at some retail outlets.

The news comes ahead of Apple’s worldwide developers conference June 8.

  • Report: Allscripts cuts 60 jobs

Allscripts has cut 60 jobs in its Raleigh operation, reports John Murawski of The News and Observer.

Some 250 jobs are being cut across the company, the paper said.

Earlier this year, Allscripts cut 30 jobs in Raleigh.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article21317400.html#storylink=cpy
http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article21317400.html

  • Anti-Muslim film back up on YouTube after court ruling

An anti-Muslim film that sparked violence in the Middle East and death threats to actors is back up on YouTube after a federal appeals court ruled the website should not have been forced to take it down.

The roughly 14-minute trailer for “Innocence of Muslims” was posted by a YouTube user on Tuesday. YouTube is owned by Google.

Google declined comment,

Monday’s court ruling by an 11-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeal cleared the way for YouTube to remove the filters that were blocking users from posting the clip on its site.

The panel said a previous decision by a smaller panel of the same court ordering Google to take the film down gave “short shrift” to the First Amendment.

  • Alibaba’s Ma expresses ‘regret’ over counterfeits lawsuit

The founder of Alibaba Group defended its stance against counterfeit goods and expressed regret Tuesday that the owner of luxury brands Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent has sued the e-commerce giant.

Speaking at a news conference during a visit to South Korea, Jack Ma said Alibaba cooperates with brand owners to fight counterfeiting and has a large staff dedicated to that.

A lawsuit filed by France’s Kering SA on Friday in a U.S. court accuses Alibaba of cooperating with and profiting from sales of counterfeit goods despite its pledges to help stamp out the trade.

“We express regret about the company’s choice to sue us and not to cooperate with us to fight against counterfeit goods,” said Ma.

Ma complained the lawsuit was “creating internal conflict” rather than cooperation to fight a “common enemy.”