Twitter users were unable to access the micro-blogging service at times on Thursday.

However, The Wall Street Journal disputes Twitter’s early report that the outage was about one hour.

“The company updated the post by saying the issue was resolved roughly an hour later, though that message was yet again updated a short time after saying the ‘issue is ongoing,'” The Journal reported.

The newspaper also reported that Twitter may have been hit by a denial-of-service attack by the “UNGNazi” hacker group. But a Twitter spokesperson told the newspaper that the problems were internal and noted a company statement said it was caused by “a cascaded bug in one of our infrastructure components.”

The outage and reaction triggered a headline on the Drudge Report: “TWITTER Down, Users Panic: ‘My life has no meaning anymore’…”

Drudge linked to an AFP wire service story that included samples of users’ fretful responses.

“Twitters broke, my life has no meaning anymore,” one user noted at website Tumblr.

“Twitter is down and my life is over,” wrote another.

Hopefully not.

Thursday afternoon the company said its microblogging service is “currently operational” after some users earlier thad difficulty accessing the website.

The Twitter outage came shortly after Apple confirmed problems with it’s iCloud service.

Twitter said earlier on its status blog that its engineers were investigating the issue. About an hour later, it said the issue had been resolved.

The company declined to say how widespread the outage was or what caused it.

Carolyn Penner, a spokeswoman for San Francisco-based Twitter, confirmed in an e-mailed statement that the site is operational.

Outages were once a relatively common occurrence for Twitter, but that was several years ago when it was new and trying to manage growth. It was shut down at least twice in August 2009, once for several hours, when hackers hobbled the site in a “denial of service” attack.

(The Associated Press and Bloomberg contributed to this report.)