Editor’s note: The Bulldog Bulletin is a new addition to Local Tech Wire’s daily lineup. It will incorporate headlines, brief summaries and links to the latest technology and life science news. Our purposes are:
1. To publish more news about more companies, large and small
2. Provide our readers with a quick at-a-glance roundup of news worth reporting beyond the 10 or more stories we publish each business day.
Your feedback is welcome. E-mail LTW Editor Rick Smith (rsmith [at] wral.com).
Some of the latest high-tech and life science related news from the Triangle, North Carolina, the southeast and the world is just a click away.
- Epic Games and Mad Catz have teamed up for a “Gears of War 3” accessory deal. The game is dule out this fall. Mad Catz produces gear such as specialty controllers, headphones and peripherals for the Xbox 360 videogame and entertainment system. Read more details here.
- Think GSK’s legal problems are over for Avandia? Far from it. Lawyers are spending more in advertising for lawsuit claimants against GSK as the fallout continues from the diabetes drug Avandia. Read more details here.
- Meanwhile, GSK has given up on a proposed insomnia drug in which it had invested hundreds of millions of dollars. GSK was working with Actelion in Phase III clinical trials for almorexant, but the drug was dropped due to problems with side effect. Read more details here.
- However, in other development news, GSK has started late-stage trials for melanoma drugs. Read more details here.
- So far, 2011 is looking good for the tech sector. A review of financial results from Microsoft, SAP, EMC, AT&T, Verizon and other tech vendors “reinforced optimism that 2011 is shaping up to be a strong year for IT, especially in the enterprise sector,” PC World reports. Read more details here.
- Meanwhile, VentureBeat writes about the “iPadification of the web.” “Design on the Web needs a reboot — and the iPad may provide the push publishers need to toggle the switch. But will smarter-looking online offerings save old media?” Read more details here.
Get the latest news alerts: Follow LTW at Twitter.