Note: The Skinny blog is written by Rick Smith, editor and co-founder of Local Tech Wire and business editor of WRAL.com.
“Life’s better in the shade” – HP’s campaign against Sun
RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C. – As European regulators drag their feet in deciding whether to approve the merger of Oracle and Sun, rivals – including Red Hat – are continuing to feast on the remains of Sun’s business.
(NYSE: RHT), the world’s top Linux open source software developer and services provider, is a partner with Hewlett Packard (NYSE: HP), which has launched an all-out assault on Sun (Nasdaq: JAVA). Larry Ellison, Oracle’s (Nasdaq: ORCL) top executive, has said Sun is losing $100 million a month as the regulatory review of the merger drags on.
HP calls its and includes Red Hat as part of its bait to lure away Sun’s Java customers.
That drawn-out regulatory process means blood in the water for the competitive sharks – such as HP – that want to feast on Sun’s base of leery customers.
“There are plenty of good reasons to move from Sun to HP, including lower total cost of ownership and a solid future,” HP says in its campaign.
“The HP Complete Care program offers even more benefits, not just now, but through each phase of your transition and beyond.
“There are no points to collect, no complicated calculations to untangle, no hit-and-run prizes that leave you to figure out the rest for yourself. HP Complete Care is just that: complete care.”
HP’s package includes a 20 percent discount on Red Hat “Global Learning Services” training for companies that want to drop Java. HP also is offering deals on its own equipment as well as other training plus SAP, Microsoft SQL and Novel Linux benefits.
Here’s the entire package:
• Free migration and total cost of ownership assessments
• Free Oracle® Applications migration assessment
• Free SAP customer infrastructure assessment service
• Free SAP TCO analysis service
• Server trade-in credits and rebates
• Fifty to 85 percent off HP-UX 11i with Solaris trade-in
• 90-day deferred payments on new HP leases
• Up to 30 percent off training and support
• Free add-on service with the purchase of Factory Express
• Microsoft SQL Server per server license promotion
• 50% off Novell Linux Fundamentals on-demand training
• 20% off Red Hat Global Learning Services training
• FREE membership to Connect
That’s private enterprise at its bloodthirsty best.
Get the latest news alerts: at Twitter.