Get the latest news alerts: at Twitter.
RALEIGH, N.C. — Gov. Beverly Perdue didn’t play a recruiting role with a Louisiana-based consultant moving to North Carolina because her son had been working with the company.
Mutliple media outlets reported Tuesday that Perdue recused herself from dealing with , which announced Monday it was moving to Durham County and bringing 430 jobs. That’s because Perdue’s son, Garrett, works at a law firm that helped represent the outfit.
Governor’s spokeswoman Chrissy Pearson said the Commerce Department handled the recruiting to avoid a conflict of interest. Pearson said the governor typically gets involved in trying to lure a company at the request of Commerce Secretary Keith Crisco.
IEM could receive as much as $9 million in rebates from income taxes withheld from its employees as part of a Job Development Investment Grant from the state.
North Carolina also awarded IEM a $150,000 grant from the One North Carolina Fund.
The deal is still contingent upon incentives from local government, Perdue’s office said in an announcement.