It’s been a grim year so far in 2003 for North Carolina firms seeking to raise venture capital.
So far, seven deals have closed in 2003, generating a meager $46.4 million.
In the same period of time last year, 14 deals worth $60 million had been closed with North Carolina firms.
TransTech Pharma disclosed $24 million in investment on Feb. 6. The investors have options to place another $10 million this year.
Venetica, a software firm out of Charlotte, is already profitable.
Here are the four deals in the NC list, which will be updated and published each Monday:
Deal size; company; focus; location; investors
1. $24 million; TransTech Pharma; pharmaceutical; High Point, NC; MacAndrews & Forbes, Novo Norodisk A/S, Cephaton
2. $8.5 million; OrthoNeuro; speciality hospital; Charlotte; New Enterprise Associates.
3. $7 million; Venetica; software; Charlotte; Charles River Ventures, General Catalyst Partners (1st)
4. $2 million; Relativity; Cary, NC; software; Wakefield Group, Noro-Moseley
5. $1.6 million; RSS Solutions; software; Greenville; Edgestone Capital Partners.
6. $1.5 million; LiveWire Logic; Morrisville, NC; software and services; Research Triangle Ventures, Gray Ventures
7. $1.3 million; Tranzyme; RTP; biotech; Research Triangle Ventures, Paradigm Venture Partners, Green & Associates. Pacific Rim Ventures