Posts tagged “Mike Walden”
Analysis: Spending by consumers still accounts for the majority of economic activity. And consumer spending is sluggish because people are spending less and saving more in order to reduce debt. That means the economy will also be sluggish. A sluggish economy means jobs - even when they start to come back - will return very slowly.
Analysis: Economists think the economy is finally turning for the better. But they can be wrong. Therefore, it's important for individuals to try to track the economy themselves. NCSU economist Mike Walden spells out indicators to track.
Analysis: While many people believe the outlook for jobs in the U.S. is gloomy, three factors indicate otherwise. One is the innovation in the U.S. private sector. Others: Overseas wage advantages will begin to lessen, plus being physically close to customers has its advantages.
Analysis: While understanding of several basic economic concepts won’t resolve the health care debate, hopefully they help illuminate some of the issues and make you more informed about the possible options.
- Calm on Wall Street: A turbulent week ends on a placid note
- Fed vice chair in spotlight as markets seek rate hike clues
- Survey: Plunging stock prices hit US consumer sentiment
- Program offers incentives for employers willing to train new workers
- Silicon Valley semiconductor firm buys Raleigh-based Ziptronix for $39M