Lenovo plans another 'K' phone - for Kutcher, not Kobe
Related Blog Posts
- Lenovo goes Hollywood for design help: Ashton Kutcher
- Lenovo plans 'most exciting product announcement,' will star Ashton Kutcher
- Lenovo image goes Hollywood: First Kobe, now Ashton Kutcher?
- Motorola mojo for Lenovo? New phone, not 'extremely ugly' wearables coming
- SEC wants data about Google's Motorola unit; Lenovo mum
- Yang on Motorola deal: 'Don't be scared by' by its $1 billion a year losses
- Motorola Mobility top exec's bailout creates another headache for Lenovo
On The Web
Morrisville, N.C. — Lenovo's chief marketing officer tells "re/code" that Ashton Kutcher, who stars in "Two and a Half Men," is helping design a line of special edition phones.
Yes, Lenovo's smartphone drive is picking up more star power just weeks after announcing a deal to buy Google Motorola Mobility for $2.9 billion. A new Moto phone is coming later this year, too.
Lenovo already sells a "K" phone endorsed by NBA start Kobe Bryant. So what will the new K phone be called?
However, Chief Marketing Officer David Roman told Re/code (which is part of the Wall Street Journal empire) that the Kuthcer phones will be out later in 2014.
“I know on one level, it sounds corny, but it is real,” said Roman in an interview with Re/code. “He not only sees himself as an engineer, but he is an engineer. If he sees a problem, he wants to solve it.”
Kutcher is not working on design circuitry, Roman adds, but he is deeply involved in what the experience of a Kutcher phone users will be.
The disclosure comes just weeks after Lenovo announced plans to buy Google Motorola Mobility, adding its stable of "Moto" smartphones to a growing lineup of phones sold around much of the world but not yet in the U.S. The Motorola deal is designed in part to give Lenovo a beachhead into the U.S. and European markets.
Will a Kutcher phone help?
He did sign on as a Lenovo promoter last October, but he was supposed to be working on tablets.
Kutcher also is not just a "star." He is an active startup investor and at one time studied biochemical engineering.
Maybe he and Kobe can team up for some brain-storming as Kobe continues to recover from injury?
"Lenovo Names Ashton Kutcher Its Newest Product Engineer," the company said in announcing the original Kutcher deal.
“This partnership with Lenovo brings together my love of technology and design that makes your life better. I can’t wait to dig in and help Lenovo develop future mobile computing products, starting with the Yoga Tablet,” Kutcher said at the time. “Lenovo is all about innovation and strong leadership. Entrepreneurship is part of their DNA, and I couldn’t ask for a better fit.”
Well, he did say "mobile computing."
And what's a smartphone?
Please Log In to add a comment.
Best of TechWire Insider
- No Ashton Kutcher smartphone, Lenovo says
- Checking in on 'tattooed guy' with SXSW-bound Raleigh team
- Sneak peek: Stylish HQRaleigh on eve of move-in day
- Raleigh mayor heads to Austin to recruit entrepreneurs, businesses
- Reports: Strike against IBM-Lenovo deal continues in China
- RTP misses out on $100M Cisco 'Internet of Everything' center
- IBM job protests in China don't generate sympathy in US
- Leadership lessons from the Red Hat tower: CEO stresses r-e-s-p-e-c-t
- Inside Lookout Capital's biggest deal: Why pick Wright Foods?
- Lenovo rips Ellen's Oscar selfie with a critical tweet, 'pic'