ibiblio Now Rides the 'Rail' at MCNC Through NCREN
RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C. – Long before Google and Wikipedia, Paul Jones and a team of people at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill set about building a library for people on the Web known as ibiblio.org.
And while other sites and services may receive more attention from the global media, ibibilio continues to increase in both size and popularity. Recently, the site that supports everything from live radio streaming using the latest Internet standards to a constantly expanding database of historical data moved its hosting operations to the former super computing center at MCNC.
There, ibiblio can call on the resources of the North Carolina Research and Education Network at not only runs the NCREN network but also works with researchers from around the globe on such cutting-edge technology as the so-called LambdaRail.
Lamda is to the Internet what I-40 at 4 a.m. in RTP compared to I-40 at rush hour.
Jones, who also teaches at UNC and is a widely recognized leader in the open source movement, cited several reasons for making the move from UNC-supported services in Chapel Hill to the MCNC operation.
“Savings, expansion possibilities, research relationships, vision of NCREN, NCREN’s expertise in high-speed networking and their consistent lead in networking,” Jones said. Then he added even more:
“MCNC’s state of the art machine room and, coming from Chapel Hill, plenty of parking!”
Of course, having access to the “rail” helps, too.
“The rail gives us very fast access to the best choices for connections to the commercial internet whilst serving the Triangle area efficiently and with room for expansion,” Jones said....
Copyright 2014 by Capitol Broadcasting Company. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
WRAL TechWire Publisher and Editor Rick Smith dishes out tidbits from the local technology sector. Read more articles…
Please Log In to add a comment.
Best of TechWire Insider
- Humbug! Google delays fiber news until 'after the holidays'
- RTP's new era nears launch: 'The Frontier' to premier Jan. 15
- Nov. open high-tech jobs in NC at highest level in 3 years
- Winston-Salem startup joins fight against Ebola with eData
- Tech giants warn: Just say 'No' to net regulation
- Be fit, be smart: Check data accuracy before buying that wearable for Christmas
- No Google Fiber news today; Raleigh exec 'still expecting year-end decision'
- VCs launch a diversity task force - years too late but better than never
- Fiber event shines spotlight on RTP as gigabit era begins
- Shark Tank investor bets $20,000 on Raleigh startup WedPics