AT&T already seeking permits for rollout of ultrafast network
Research Triangle Park, N.C. — Don't be surprised if you are a Triangle resident - even in Durham, a non-AT&T market in the old telco days - and you see an AT&T crew touting "Gigapower" logos on shirts or trucks in the near future. The telecommunications giant is wasting no time in rolling out a fiber-optic network as part of the North Carolina Next Generation Network. With all six cities involved now on board, AT&T is moving fast - the old Ma Bell knows that Google could be a threat. So, too, is RST Fiber which has already targeted Wake Forest for testing. Watch out, folks, fiber is coming quickly....
WRAL TechWire Publisher and Editor Rick Smith dishes out tidbits from the local technology sector. Read more articles…
Please Log In to add a comment.
Latest for Insiders
- Think you know millennials? Case survey runs counter to narrative with Trump, conservatism scoring well
- After Trump meeting, Bayer-Monsanto pledge could mean jobs in RTP
- Birthday (unofficial): The soft launch of Local Tech Wire
- RTI International revenues, work force surge in 2016
- Reports: Lenovo seeking full ownership of laptop joint venture
- American Underground rolls out 'new product offering for a new audience'
- Third VC report confirms trend: VC boom is over in NC
- US sales growth helps Lenovo keep global PC sales lead
- Boom over: Venture reports agree dealmaking drops in 2016
- Fast-growing Walk West agency adds another firm in 'digital first' strategy